Wha2's alabama squad set to unveil...

Brian in Boston

WHA2's Pelham, Alabama-based franchise (suburb of Birmingham) is set to unveil their name and logo at 1:00 PM CST tomorrow.

The three finalists were the Alabama Freeze, Alabama Hammers and Alabama Slammers. At one point, the rather unimaginative Freeze held the top spot in a poll on the team's website. However, the last time I checked,  the patently idiotic Slammers held a wide advantage. We'll see, we'll see.

Brian in Boston

Alabama Freeze?  What the hell are they thinking?  There's already a precedent for the nickname (the Dallas Freeze, who were one of the charter members of the "new" Central Hockey League), and it produced an extremely unimaginative logo.  However, I don't know what they can do with the other two, either, so I guess they're screwed...

QPR%20Sig.png

And why are they giving Alabama a hockey franchise anyway?? I mean!! Just think guys!!

If the WHA based itself around old hockey markets the NHL left itm would stand a chance! (A small chance yes but a chance!) Alabamians and hockey sticks just don't mix!! Bad things will happen!!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

And why are they giving Alabama a hockey franchise anyway?? I mean!! Just think guys!!

If the WHA based itself around old hockey markets the NHL left itm would stand a chance! (A small chance yes but a chance!) Alabamians and hockey sticks just don't mix!! Bad things will happen!!

Thing is, Birmingham was one of the final 8 WHA franchises, and consistently filled their building in the late 70s.

True, they had an enforcer-filled team.  And true, the last incarnation of the Bulls folded. And again, true, the WHA2 isn't going to make a huge difference with anyone there.

But I think you give Birmingham a good hockey product, yadda yadda, they will come.

That being said, Slammers is a stupid name.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

It's official: greater Birmingham, put your hands together for your Alabama... Slammers!

I haven't actually seen the logo yet, but I've read a description that sounds as though Adrenaline Design actually tried to tie a questionable name choice into the Birmingham area's history. Apparently, the "slammer" in question is a steelworker who is "slamming" the team name with a steel-hammer.

I find the whole thing a bit contrived. Team management explained their decision to locate the team in suburban Pelham, Alabama - rather than downtown Birmingham - as an attempt to cater to a more family-oriented fan base. Apparently, they then fell in love with a team identity inspired by the cocktail of the same name. Wanting to play to the fans who supported the alcohol-inspired name, but not wanting to offend that "family-oriented" crowds they're targeting, they beg Adrenaline to somehow come up with a wholesome - and regionally relevant - name. Why bother?

Come on! If you wanted a name with regional flavor, then ignore the votes cast by the "belly-up-to-the-bar" crowd and choose either Hammers (Which could pay homage not only to the Alabama state bird - the Yellowhammer, but to hockey's inherent physicality as well.) or Vulcans (Which recognizes Birmingham's status as "the Pittsburgh of the South").

The only saving grace for Slammers is that at least it wasn't Alabama Freeze.

Brian in Boston

Is there no such thing as innovation anymore?

There was a rock band once known as the Alabama Slammers. There is also a cocktail known as an Alabama Slammer, and there is a travelling baseball team known also as the Alabama Slammers (www.alabamaslammers.com). And lo, now there is a minor league hockey team named the Alabama Slammers! How pathetic.

I'm about this close to giving up hope on the future of sports identity.

Should have tweaked the name a little and gone with the Alabama Slammas' (no "er")  The logo is not bad, it does look like a "oiler man" pissed off.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Yeah but would you get away with calling a team the Slappers??

Hey, if a women's hockey team in Chicago (that a friend plays on) can be called the "Frozen Snappers"....

(Large picture showing home jersey and logo)

(Likewise the away)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this league isn't the second incarnation of the WHA that recently named Bobby Hull as their commisioner...This is a minor league formerly called the Atlantic Coast Hockey League, from what I can make out. So it's not as if this is a major league franchise. It would be similar to the AFL's developmental league being called the af2.

Archived