The AL East Race

Brass

Aren't the Braves and Cubs always on National TV with WGN and TBS? I know I get them out here, so I figured that's the case pretty much everywhere. The 4 most popular teams generally seem to be the Braves, Cubs, Yankees, and Sox -- as I mentioned, I think most people already get just about all of the Cubs and Braves games -- that's not the case for the Sox and Yankees.

Look who's one and two in road attendance -- the Red Sox and Yankees. Look at what's largely considered to be the best rivalry in sports -- why would they not show their games against one another on National TV?

Actually the cubs aren't on WGN nearly as much anymore.

Braves games are down on TBS as well.

But you are right, they did get quasi-national coverage from those superstations, just as the Cardinals got alot of coverage in the 40's and 50's with KMOX.

The Cardinals/Cubs rivalry is just as historic and just as fierce as the Yankees/Red Sox one. But nobody outside of the midwest knows about it. Zambrano and Edmonds have just as much bad history as any two members of the Sox/Yanks rivalry. Dusty Baker and LaRussa pretty much hate each other. All this and our fans can typically get along and respect each other, never more evident than when Daryl Kile passed away. But you wouldn't know about that cause you never see it because for whatever reason, ESPN has deemed it not as sexy as the Sox/Yanks.

Its how it is, and I guess I have to accept it. I'm just glad I live near the team I like so I can watch them on Fox sports midwest instead of having to watch ESPN for highlights.

Aren't the Braves and Cubs always on National TV with WGN and TBS?  I know I get them out here, so I figured that's the case pretty much everywhere.  The 4 most popular teams generally seem to be the Braves, Cubs, Yankees, and Sox -- as I mentioned, I think most people already get just about all of the Cubs and Braves games -- that's not the case for the Sox and Yankees.

But TBS and WGN are based in Atlanta and Chicago, respectively. They're home-grown independents...they're gonna show their home town. They're not the world sports empire that ESPN markets itslef as.

So, what was your point again?

Yeah, I know -- that's common knowledge.

I wasn't saying to be mad at them for showing just Cubs and Braves games -- I was saying that since most of their games are already on National Television, there's no reason for the MLB to show them on ESPN or Fox as much as they do for the Yankees and Red Sox -- it's not needed to get a National Audience.

IUe6Hvh.png

Aren't the Braves and Cubs always on National TV with WGN and TBS?  I know I get them out here, so I figured that's the case pretty much everywhere.  The 4 most popular teams generally seem to be the Braves, Cubs, Yankees, and Sox -- as I mentioned, I think most people already get just about all of the Cubs and Braves games -- that's not the case for the Sox and Yankees.

But TBS and WGN are based in Atlanta and Chicago, respectively. They're home-grown independents...they're gonna show their home town. They're not the world sports empire that ESPN markets itslef as.

So, what was your point again?

Yeah, I know -- that's common knowledge.

I wasn't saying to be mad at them for showing just Cubs and Braves games -- I was saying that since most of their games are already on National Television, there's no reason for the MLB to show them on ESPN or Fox as much as they do for the Yankees and Red Sox -- it's not needed to get a National Audience.

Ahh, sorry I misunderstood you. Plus I came off like quite an :censored:, which no matter what ICS is thinking to himself, it wasn't intentional.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

Doesn't matter anymore. They have just as many games as Channel 11 does here in St. Louis, IE, not many. If you want cub games you want Comcast Chicago.

Unless you want to watch re-runs of Family Matters, then you still might want WGN.

The Cardinals/Cubs rivalry is just as historic and just as fierce as the Yankees/Red Sox one. But nobody outside of the midwest knows about it. Zambrano and Edmonds have just as much bad history as any two members of the Sox/Yanks rivalry. Dusty Baker and LaRussa pretty much hate each other. All this and our fans can typically get along and respect each other, never more evident than when Daryl Kile passed away. But you wouldn't know about that cause you never see it because for whatever reason, ESPN has deemed it not as sexy as the Sox/Yanks.

Actually, not many people care about the rivalry between the Cardinals and Cubs because we are too wrapped up in our home teams such as the Red Sox, and if it was as fierce as the Yanks/Sox rivalry I think ESPN would put it on. Who care's about a little grudge between Tony and Dusty? Part of the Rivalry is how crazy the fans are. Also I can go on and on and on about mini hatreds between the Red Sox and Yankees. :wacko:

Actually, not many people care about the rivalry between the Cardinals and Cubs because we are too wrapped up in our home teams such as the Red Sox, and if it was as fierce as the Yanks/Sox rivalry I think ESPN would put it on. Who care's about a little grudge between Tony and Dusty? Part of the Rivalry is how crazy the fans are. Also I can go on and on and on about mini hatreds between the Red Sox and Yankees. :wacko:

The Cards and Cubs rivalry is better because through all the mini-battles and hatreds and tension...all that that has built up...there is still an overlying sense of respect (in the last few years that might have deminished a bit between the teams, but between the fans it's still there).

Your right, ESPN shows the Yanks and Red Sox because everyone involved hates each other...but perhaps that's the problem with America today.

You say part of the rivalry is how crazy the fans are. I assume you mean crazy in terms of hating the other team, because Cards and Cubs fans are certainly as devoted as any. I guess it appeals to most of the nation, cough cough cough East Coast cough cough cough, to see fans get into all kinds of brawls.

But for my money, there's nothing better than seeing two intense teams on the field, and two sets of intense fans in the stands, and then noticing they're sitting next to each other having a laugh with each other in between innings. That's the Cards and Cubs rivalry.

Maybe it goes back to the principle of when the Cardinals went out to shake the Dodgers hands after the NLDS last year. Official MLB officers criticized the Cards and Dodgers for doing it saying it broke the fratenizing "code."

I guess the MLB wants to promote itself on anything BUT good sportsmanship. If that's the case, Red Sox and Yankees all the way.

It is just as fierce. the all time record between them is seperated by about 50 games. Nobody outside of New York and Boston cares about Johnny Damon's hair style or seeing them on Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.

The Dodgers/Giants rivalry is just as fierce and historic.

The only reason you don't know that is either you refuse to acknowledge there are indeed 30 teams and not 2, or that you never see the games to know it.

I hope the second is the case.

If you're a true baseball fan, you aren't too wrapped up in your home team to appreciate a good rivalry or a good game. I'll watch the Yankees/Red Sox games, because first, its a historic good rivalry. I'm not down playing it at all. I'm just saying there are others that ESPN can show. Second cause its a baseball game, and I'm a fan of the game and of the Cardinals. I want to see all 30 teams at least in highlights, not 2 for half the time and box scores of 10 of the games.

pcgd, I would rather ESPN cover Boston and New York baseball wise, then spend 15 days analyzing a trade in the NBA.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

NY Yankees --

Boston 5 GB

Baltimore 5 1/2 GB

Toronto 18 GB

Tampa Bay 28 GB

The way it should always be! :D

arodsig.jpg THE TOUGHEST S.O.B. IN THE CCSLC!

Satan Lives! The Devil On Earth Breathes! -Jim Ross about Vince McMahon, WM 22

"THAT WAS THE WORD OF YANKEEMAN"

sterling.jpggodzilla.jpg

26 World Championships and still going strong. Get used to it Red Sox Nation!

"Yankees win! Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Yankees win!" -John Sterling after every Yankee win

To Be The Yankees, You Gotta Whoooooooooo!!! beat the Yankees!!!

NY Yankees --

Boston  5 GB

Baltimore 5 1/2 GB

Toronto 18 GB

Tampa Bay 28 GB

The way it should always be!  :D

And the Yankees we choke in the playoffs.

The way it should always be!  :D

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

The Dodgers/Giants rivalry is just as fierce and historic.

The Dodgers and Giants is a fierce rivarly. A lot went away when they both left New York. But it's still a great rivalry. They both suck though and thus the attention isn't going to be on that.

I'm sure if over the next few years the Yanks and the Sox don't play each other in the playoffs and don't throw verbal and literal punches at each other then the focus will go to other teams. But when you have one ownership group calling the other the evil empire and the other sayng that the other doesn't want to go the eaxtra distance fore their fans, thats going to get the lead story and most of the attention. I was very young at the time but I'm sure in the early 90's when the Sox were good and the Yanks sucked the focus wasn't on them. Maybe if the Cubs were better the Card-Cubs rivalry would get more attention. But the Cubs suck and the Cards are running away with the division. Not much drama their.

ESPN isn't going to put a Royals-D-Rays game because they both suck. It's the same reason the NFL (because you like to compare everything to the NFL) doesn't put the Cardinals versus the Bears on Sunday or Monday Night football. The Yankees-Red Sox get put on the air because it has all the elements of drama. It's a historic rivalry. The last 7 years they have finished in the Standings 1 and 2. The have played each other in the ALCS the last 2 years both going 7 games both ending in historic fashions. And the 2 teams literally hate each other. No other rivalry in baseball has all 3 of those elements. Thus when they play it's going to be on espn and it's going to talked abput on sportscenter.

I do agree with you that espn should get rid of the dumb stuff like Billy Bob Thorton.

Archived