Matt Clement hit in head

Swiss

capt.spd10107270047.red_sox_clement_injured_spd101.jpg

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) -- Boston Red Sox pitcher Matt Clement was hit in the right side of the head by Carl Crawford's line drive Tuesday night and carried from the field on a stretcher.

Clement remained on the ground and barely moved for about five minutes before he was lifted onto a stretcher and immobilized with a neck brace. Replays showed the force of Crawford's liner knocked the All-Star pitcher completely off his feet.

The ball caromed off the back of Clement's head, just behind his right ear, into short left field for an RBI single. Concerned teammates gathered around the fallen pitcher as medical personnel attended to him on the mound. The crowd cheered as he was carried off, but his arms remained strapped across his chest.

Chad Bradford replaced Clement with Boston leading the Tampa Bay Devil Rays 5-1.

Five years ago, Red Sox pitcher Bryce Florie was hit in the right eye by a ball hit by Ryan Thompson of the New York Yankees. The line drive broke several bones in Florie's face and left his vision impaired.

The right-hander tried to come back with Boston the next season but didn't last long and was out of the major leagues by the end of the season. He has not been back since.

Source: Yahoo Sports MLB

Poor man! :(

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Yeah. A lost game can be recovered with another game. But the bygone good health is hard to get back.

C'mon Clement, you can surpass it! We're with you!

pennants.png

I've never understoof why pitchers don't wear any padding out there on the mound. I mean, they are the closest person to the batter in front, and hte whole job of the batter is to hit the ball as hard as they can.

Like, shin pads, a bracew on their catching arm (ala Jose Canseco's guard on his left arm when batting.)

I realize that they can't wear much or they will impead their delivery, but I would have something on if I were out there on the mount facing at least 21 batters a night

He better recover fully and quickly.

Or what? You will bitch and moan because the Sox weren't as good without him, while thinking it is all his fault? Its an unfortunate accident.

At first I thought it hit his shoulder. But I knew it wasn't his shoulder because he didn't move at all for 10 minutes. The replay showed it his the side of his face, possibly around the temple.

Very freaky to watch.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

CBS Sportsline reports CT scan negative on Clement. Good news.

:D:D:D

That's very good news!!! Another good news are that the Sox are winning the amazing game 10-8 in middle 10th! It seems that the guys wanted to win it for Clement.

pennants.png

:blink: My god...

Whatta game!!!

Boston 10 16 0

Tampa Bay 9 15 1

That one is for Clement, yessir!

pennants.png

That one comes from BostonDirtDogs.com

The 2005 Red Sox are Born in St. Petersburg

Sox Win the Game of the Year 10-9

Damon Taketh Away, Then Giveth

'Tek, Mueller Step Up with Big Bats

Clement Gets Hit by Line Drive

Trot Goes Down with Oblique Strain

Is Delcarmen the Closer of the Near Future?

Should Dale Sveum Take a Seat on the Bench?

Graffanino, Olerud Flash the Leather Too

Schilling Gets Shaky Win in Relief

pennants.png

No matter the result, this always stinks. It even looked painful to watch.

But, I always wonder why the head? Why don't we see a line drive to the pitcher's manhood, eh?

Archived