Brooklyn Nets

goforbroke

For that matter, who gets to claim the wishbone C - the Chicago Bears or the Cincinnati Reds?  And can the Indians make a claim to it as well?

don't forget the twins. [comic book guy]best use of the wishbone c ever.[/comic book guy]

...and the Cubs.

the cubs used the wishbone c?

For that matter, who gets to claim the wishbone C - the Chicago Bears or the Cincinnati Reds?  And can the Indians make a claim to it as well?

don't forget the twins. [comic book guy]best use of the wishbone c ever.[/comic book guy]

...and the Cubs.

the cubs used the wishbone c?

Yes.

nl_1940_chicago.gif

It may be tough to see in this pic, but check the hat.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

"New York Nets" flows better, and that B is too associated with the Red Sox.

Yeah there would def be a lawsuit...too similar.

:blink: ?

The "B" is what the Brooklyn Dodgers wore. Why would the Red Sox sue the Nets for its use, if the Red Sox and [brooklyn] Dodgers coexisted through 1955 with those 2 similar logos and no one sued over it? For that matter, who gets to claim the wishbone C - the Chicago Bears or the Cincinnati Reds? And can the Indians make a claim to it as well?

My point was that people might associate it with the Red Sox rather than the Dodgers.

I don't think so. There is people that sells replicas of Brooklyn Dodgers caps.

And the Red Sox don't say any word.

Besides, the Red Sox's B is surrounded with a line, the Brooklyn one, not (and has a triangular hole inside).

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

BBTV, I got yo' back. (Philadelphians stick together like that.)

His example may be harder to see, but this one ought to end anyone's doubts about his claim. For the record, the Cubs had this version of the wishbone on the jersey and/or the cap for most of the two decades between 1916 (see example below) and 1936. They didn't settle on the round "C-UBS" logo until the 1940s.

Check it out...

nl_1916_chicago.gif

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Good lookin' out.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

New York Nets is less likely to alienate fans from Queens and Long Island.

those fans are already knicks fans and wont change just because a team in brooklyn uses the name "new york"

the team's fan base will be concentrated in brooklyn so it makes sence to name the team "brooklyn nets"

Queens and Long Island fans are already Knicks fans? Not true. The Nets used to play on Long Island, in Nassau County's Uniondale. There are a lot of Net fans here, and the number will grow if the team mvoes closer to its original home. I think they'll call the team the "New York Nets", regardless of where they go in the city of New York, Brooklyn or otherwise.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

a lot of people outside of the area dont realize how big brooklyn is. if you seperated them into seperate cities-- three of the 4 largest cities in the country would be midtown manhattan, downtown manhattan, and brooklyn.  also people in queens and long island would flock to brooklyn because they also like to disasociate themselves with manahattan.  not to mention staten island and jersey. if they wanted to be the new york nets then they'd just move back to nassau. ratner wants that brooklyn market and trust me he's going to use it.

It's amazing, how no one really knows how the New York City and Long Island region is split up. The actual land mass that is Long Island consists of Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau and Suffolk counties. The metropolitan division of "Long Island" is just Nassau and Suffolk. New York City consists of 5 Boroughs: Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and the Bronx. Queens is larger than Brooklyn in size, and very, very close to it in population. I don't see how you'd really break up Manhattan into two cities, when it's not even a city by itself. People in Queens and Long Island already disassociate themselves from Manhattan without flocking to Brooklyn. The Mets play in the borough of Queens, and they're the New York Mets. The Yankees play in the borough of the Bronx, and they're the New York Yankees. The Rangers and Knicks play in the borough of Manhattan(also called New York county, by the way) ,and they're the New York Knicks and Rangers. The Islanders don't even play in the city, they play in Nassau, and they're the New York Islanders. The Giants and Jets don't even play in the STATE of New York, and they're the New York Jets and Giants. Calling yourself "Brooklyn" closes some doors for you media-wise. They will be the New York Nets.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

All of that is precisely why they'll be the Brooklyn Nets. RATner is trying to stoke the memories of those fans who remember when Brooklyn had its own teams with its name in them. It's a marketing opportunity of massive proportions.

Any guess why Brooklyn Cyclones stuff sells so well? Minor league, sure. But seriously.

No one can stop him, the NBA is more than happy to keep the Knicks as New York's only team. In no other sport would this make sense, but in basketball..it's completely plausible that a team in Brooklyn, would have Brooklyn in its name.

It's already evident the owners want that, so the only way it would change..is there was a mandate from the league - and I don't see that happening.

If you need more convincing..go to the site for the team's new arena and move to Brooklyn (bball.net)

That?s right, the NBA in Brooklyn, USA. Can you think of a more perfect fit? In the history of the hoops game, no city has influenced the style and rhythm of the sport more than Brooklyn. The fast paced, ?in your face? action of today?s NBA was born right here on the asphalt of Brooklyn?s playgrounds and now we can bring it back to the hard wood of a beautiful new arena located in downtown Brooklyn.

Quick Facts about Brooklyn and the Nets:

If removed from greater New York City, Brooklyn?s population of 2.5 million would make up America's fourth largest city.

The Brooklyn Nets would play in a 20,000 seat, downtown arena designed by an icon of modern architecture, Frank Gehry.

A move to Brooklyn would be a homecoming of sorts for the Nets who came into existence in the old American Basketball Association as the New York Nets.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Archived