Lulu's Originals

Mings

Yep, so the woman asked me to make a website and logo for her handmade jewelry business. I did, since you can't tell a woman no without getting hit. Anyways, she wanted pink and black for the colors. I strived to make this the best use of pink and black since Bret Hart. Thanks goes out to pollux for the help with CSS. Please critique the logo and website if you would like. I wanted to make both simple, and have the website be easy to use. Right now there isn't much up, but when she decides to get the styles and such that she wants to sell up on it, I strongly urge you all to remember the site for your women, so that you can give them a gift that might just get you a gift in return.

Here is the link: www.lulusoriginals.com

So what do ya think?

It looks nice, like you said, it is nice and simple, all the info looks like it's right there, easy to access and view.

The L works well with the design of the page, especially as the watermark on the underconstruction page. It has the feel of a classic simple symbol.

Thanks for the comments so far guys. I have updated the website a little bit with some new pictures and a new treatment for the pictures which I think makes them stand out more.

Keep the comments coming. I appreciate them.

Classy site. My only nitpick is that the links turn white when you mouse-over them, and when the background is white or the faded-out pink, they're awfully hard to see then. But otherwise, good stuff.

• 4 months later...

Instead of making a new topic, I figured I would bump this one up. I have been reworking this site (for XHTML and CSS) to make it easier to use and faster loading. After some help from the CSS guru Pollux, its now to a point to where its pretty much finished, just gotta add the other stuff to it.

Here is a link: Click here.

I look forward to hearing any comments and suggestion for improvement.

Oh and yeah, buy some stuff from her for your women.

I'd say the biggest comment I have on it is dipite the fact you have used pink, the site looks very masculine. Hard edges, black the primary color. I'd "soften" it up and try to appeal the the female audience, as that is more than likely the target audience.

I think the background color needs to be softened. Instead of black, try a pattern similar to what you use in the header image. Otherwise, use the L logo at an angle and subdued for a background image.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll definitely take some of it.

Too bad rounded corners only works in Firefox though. I'll have to do it the hard way lol.

As far as pink and black, thats what she wanted, although I may talk her in to a pink/dark purple combo.

Has anyone viewed it using IE6? If so, is it showing fine. I viewed it in IE5.23 for Mac and it didnt (but people using Macs use Safari or Firefox for the most part anymore).

viewing it in firefox 1.5 it looks good- the only nitpick I would have is making the links not blink...it is kind of a depriciated element that makes the site look a little outdated....plus it hurts my eyes...but very good job otherwise

yeah I was thinking about on the side menus anyways keeping them the same color only have it underline when you hover on it. i kinda like how it is now on the main menu though.

edit: updated a few things

i don't know what version of ie i am using at work, but the links are half in the header, half in the black on my screen...

yeah, its the way IE shows it for some reason even though everything is good in the CSS. I have a workaround done, but it hasnt been updated on the site yet.

A few things you might want to work on in order to correct the display problem in IE (I can't believe I missed it ;)).

First, you create a div with "body" as an id. You should change this. Also, this div is the primary layout of the page, yet you do not include any other information in it except for the header logo.

You could probably do the following:

<div id="new_id_name">
   <div id="header"> (Create a new CSS tag for the header image) ... </div>
   <div id="menu">...</div>

</div> (Closing the new_id_name tag)

If you're worried about positioning, then you can set the position to relative for each of the divs included in the new_id_name div. It'll align them relatively to the master.

I think that once this is done, it'll display much better.

-----

Think of a id'ed div as a frame. This will allow you to do a frame within a frame within a frame... By seeing this, you can work your way cleanly for the code. For example, the outer most div will define your frame, then the one after that can define the writeable area in it. Content frames will all be placed at the same level on your webpage.

Hope this helps!

BTW, The website is coming along nicely. I will echo some comments made about the black being very strong on the webpage. Maybe if you used pale pink stripes instead of grey ones and get them closer, the page would look a bit brighter. Just some thing you could try...

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Archived