Blue Jays 30th Aniversary Next Year ?

Davey

Is the blue jays 30th aniversay next year, cus the season goes 06-07 or the year after, going into 07-08. Anywaze if it is true, do you think they will have a patch to go on their plain jeryeys ?

4kv29i.jpg

On sportsnet today, during the broadcast, they mentioned that next year was the 30th anniversary I believe.

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

That's pretty-much horrific that the Jays have been around that long.

I still consider the Blue Jays and Mariners "expansion" teams...along with the Seahawks and Buccaneers...

(is it time for my Metamucil?)

:P

On sportsnet today, during the broadcast, they mentioned that next year was the 30th anniversary I believe.

2006 is indeed the 30th anniversary seasons for both the Blue Jays and the Mariners.

I also turn 30 next year... :down:

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Incorrect!

Anniversaries commemorate the passing of an entire year (or number of years) since an event happened. Your first birthday is the 1-year anniversary of your birth. Your birthday is not enumerated as your "1st birthday" (though maybe it should be...) because your "1st birthday" is actually the celebration of 1 entire year passing since the day you were born.

That said, the Jays' (and Mariners') 1st season was 1977. Season 2 was 1978, Season 3 was 1979, and so on. Thus, 2006 will be their 30th season. But it will not be their 30th anniversary, as 30 complete seasons will not have elapsed in their history at the start of the 2006 season. At the start of the '06 season, the Jays will have played 29 seasons.

So if they want to celebrate the occurrence of their 30th season in '06, that is correct. But it should not be referred to as their "30th Anniversary" season.

Which reminds me, my 30th anniversary is coming all too soon (damn you, November!)...

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Incorrect!

Anniversaries commemorate the passing of an entire year (or number of years) since an event happened. Your first birthday is the 1-year anniversary of your birth. Your birthday is not enumerated as your "1st birthday" (though maybe it should be...) because your "1st birthday" is actually the celebration of 1 entire year passing since the day you were born.

That said, the Jays' (and Mariners') 1st season was 1977. Season 2 was 1978, Season 3 was 1979, and so on. Thus, 2006 will be their 30th season. But it will not be their 30th anniversary, as 30 complete seasons will not have elapsed in their history at the start of the 2006 season. At the start of the '06 season, the Jays will have played 29 seasons.

So if they want to celebrate the occurrence of their 30th season in '06, that is correct. But it should not be referred to as their "30th Anniversary" season.

Which reminds me, my 30th anniversary is coming all too soon (damn you, November!)...

And the 21st Century started in 2001, not 2000.

Semantics.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Incorrect!

See my post :P

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

they started as an entity in 1976, but didn't begin play until 1977.

Wow. I never knew me and the Blue Jays had so much in comon. :D

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Incorrect!

And the 21st Century started in 2001, not 2000.

Semantics.

It's actually not semantics but the literal definitions of the terms.

Though they started the same year, the Mariners and Blue Jays celebrate their anniversaries in different years. The Blue Jays wore a 25th anniversary patch in 2001, the Mariners did the same in 2002. So if the Blue Jays do wear a 30th anniversary patch, it would indeed be in 2006.

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

Though they started the same year, the Mariners and Blue Jays celebrate their anniversaries in different years.  The Blue Jays wore a 25th anniversary patch in 2001, the Mariners did the same in 2002.  So if the Blue Jays do wear a 30th anniversary patch, it would indeed be in 2006.

No, it indeed wouldn't .

Read my first post and CC's first post (damn you, CC, and your succinct way of explaining this... :P). In April 2006, the Jays and Mariners start their 30th season. They celebrate their 30th anniversary after 30 years have been completed. Just like you celebrate your 21st birthday after you have lived 21 full years.

They're free to wear a patch commemorating their 30th season. But they can't call '06 their 30th anniversary. Get rid of that word, and they'll be fine. Leave it in, they're factually incorrect.

On the other hand, the Mariners wear their patches properly, after they have completed the number of seasons being celebrated. The Jays were incorrect to call the '01 season their 25th anniversary, and they are incorrect to perpetuate it 5 years later.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived