New IL State Redbirds logo

mrdj13

Wow. Another "bird with teeth" logo.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Thanks, MrDJ (I'm an alum also!). Yes, the basic bird is the same, I believe since around when I went there (mid 1980's) but I like how they have integrated it into a new wordmark. I like it. The wordmark itself with those highlights looks pretty original. Bravo ISU!

LT

Integrated wordmark & logo = cooler. But what I'm really digging is that full bird with the clinched fist secondary!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

ISU changed thier logo from the "Thumbs up Bird" to the "bird w/ teeth" in 1995. The update is just the wordmark into the logo. I think it looks ok.

Secondary logo as mentioned, its cool

7q3CGg1123546437.jpg

This is their pre 1995 Thumbs up logo. Its the best pic I could find.

c28bcg1123546919.jpg

Go State!

• 2 weeks later...

it doesnt matter how pretty their logo is, [Mod Edit: *snip* Yes, yes it does, because that's what this board is all about, not about posting stupid rivalry stuff in a thread about a logo release or someone's concept.]

My thoughts exactly. I always get a kick out of Ball State's actual cardinal mascot when I see it at a game with our own Freddie Falcon, big ole grill piece of teeth right there.

fade.gif

My thoughts exactly. I always get a kick out of Ball State's actual cardinal mascot when I see it at a game with our own Freddie Falcon, big ole grill piece of teeth right there.

For those of you who don't follow the MAC, I present:

paintred2004.jpg

Charlie Cardinal

it doesnt matter how pretty their logo is, Southern Illinois will still beat them every time.

Yep, as an ISU alum I still have to agree with you. However, the U of I will whoop on either team - dang the Big 10!!

Anyway, I can't let this thread die without contributing my version of a "teethless" Redbird logo, which had been for a contest here:

isu.jpg

LT

It's going to be interesting watching Illinois State and Iowa State mix it up in a couple weeks. ISU v. ISU, Redbirds v. a red bird.

Help me out, Iowa Staters - how did the cardinal come to be? I know cyclones are hard to personify, but what's the story? It seems strange, especially with a state school in a neighboring state having similar colors and a cardinal mascot already.

Then again, my school has a ram mascot for teams nicknamed "Tar Heels", so I really can't say much. But I know the story behind that one (ram bought by students in honor of a star fullback nicknamed "a battering ram").

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Good question about Iowa State and the bird and bringing up Rameses or whatever the UNC thing is called. It always bothered me when schools did things like that the Georgetown bulldog for the Hoyas and the Tarheel ram, but then I saw the stories behind them.

As for Iowa State I believe it has ties to the Ames (city where Ia. State is) TOy Company. Appearantly they at one time donated the first costumed mascot for the school. This is only heresay I can't confirm and can't come up with a date or more than that it has something to do with the Ames Toy Company. . .

EDIT: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

amazing what google can do!

"Cyclones"

In the summer and early fall of 1895, an unusually large number of what were then referred to as ?cyclones? wreaked havoc upon the state of Iowa. Had the United States Weather Service known a little bit more about climatology at that time, Iowa State might today be known as the ?Tornadoes.?

That fall, however, an underdog Iowa State 11 played at Northwestern. After building a commanding 30-0 halftime lead, the Cardinals, as ISU?s teams were then named, went on to post a shocking 36-0 rout of the Wildcats.

The game story headline in the next morning?s Chicago Tribune read ?Iowa Cyclone Devastates Evanstontown,? and since that famous moment in Iowa State gridiron history, the athletic teams have been known as the ?Cyclones.?

Origin of "Cy"

In 1954, a group of students that included pep council president Chuck Duncan, brainstorming on how to build more school spirit, approached Collegiate Manufacturing of Ames on creating a school mascot. Since the consensus was that you ?couldn?t stuff a Cyclone,? a bird figure using the school colors (cardinal and gold) was the eventual choice. Duncan and the Pep Council then got a green light from ISU alumni director ?Red? Baron, sports information Director Harry Burrell and Cyclone Club director Ray Donels.

A cardinal-like bird was introduced at the 1954 Homecoming pep rally. A contest was held to determine the cardinal?s name. The entry ?Cy? won. Cy is short for Cyclones, and the cardinal figure represents the school colors as well as the original Iowa State nickname.

fade.gif

ha! I was just going to post that!

As for UNC its basically because they felt they needed a mascot. A cheerleader decided to use one of the players nicknames as inspiration and ordered a Ram in from texas, it was named Ramses and the rest is history.

The Tar Heel name is similar to how if you are from Indiana, you are a Hoosier. If you are from North Carolina, you are a Tar Heel. It goes back to civil war times or colonial times. Nobody's quite sure.

Yes, the Tar Heel name is from the Civil War. This is from the University's Official Site:

"One version of the nickname's origin has the name first being applied to North Carolinians during the Civil War. One record talks of a battle in Virginia, where their supporting column retreated, but North Carolina troops fought alone. The victorious troops were asked in a condescending tone by some Virginians, who had retreated, "Any more tar down in the Old North State, boys?" The response came quickly: "No, not a bit; old Jeff's bought it all up." The Virginians asked: "Is that so? What is he going to do with it?" The reply: "He is going to put it on you'ns heels to make you stick better in the next fight."

We are very proud of our name. :D

Archived