MLB Changes Timeline

BallWonk

Does anyone know what the timeline is when a team wants to change aspects of its identity? Does the league really have a veto? How is the league's marketing and design staff involved? When must the league be given a proposal to approve, deny, or modify? When must final approval be given for a change? Is this a decision for the owners, for the commish, or for the marketing and licencing folks?

Just to be completely hypothetical, say the Nationals get new owners and they want to change the name and/or uniforms for the 2008 season. Would this be something that would be done mainly in 2006, started in 2006 and finished in 2007, or could the owners make their decision during the 2007 season and still get it done for the 2008 season?

20082614447.png

I'm not totally sure of this, but I believe MLB has at least a two-year window for changing uniforms. MLB Properties has a design staff that will help teams with their new look if requested. But I believe any privately-done designs have to meet with MLB Properties' approval.

The two-year window is used so that all replica manufacturers have time to "tool up" in order to make the new gear.

Before replicas became a big-money item, teams used to change on a whim. Cleveland probably leads the league in uniform changes over the past 50 years. Hope this helps you. :D

Cleveland probably leads the league in uniform changes over the past 50 years. Hope this helps you. :D

I bet the ChiSox would give them a run for their money...

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well, I looked it up and the Tribe edges the Chisox 12-11 in uniform changes since 1950. I consider a uniform change as involving new colors and fonts for lettering and numbers, adding or subtracting pinstripes or piping and adding or removing sleeves. No, I didn''t forget the Chicago maternity tops and bermudas.

:blink:

I don't think the league has any say in visuals, like how it is in the NFL. Thank goodness.

did you mean "unlike" how it is in the NFL?

cuz the NFL has all the say when it come the "visuals" or logos.

Nothing gets approved without them approving it also.

Well, I looked it up and the Tribe edges the Chisox 12-11 in uniform changes since 1950. I consider a uniform change as involving new colors and fonts for lettering and numbers, adding or subtracting pinstripes or piping and adding or removing sleeves. No, I didn''t forget the Chicago maternity tops and bermudas.

The A's have to be right up there. It seems like they changed every year when in KC and in the first few years in Oakland.

The A's have to be right up there. It seems like they changed every year when in KC and in the first few years in Oakland.

I know we're talkin uniforms but I figure I should mention that the Angels have had 14 different logos in 45 seasons

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I know we're talkin uniforms but I figure I should mention that the Angels have had 14 different logos in 45 seasons

OK, they have not been around for 50 years, but the Padres have had 11 different uniforms in 36 years! And they have the best cap of all time in their 1981-1984 design!

Archived