Patriots Silver Comparison

TruColor

So. The original thread regarding the new Patriots' Silver became a quagmire of death and destruction, but I thought I'd STILL address the confusion over the Patriots ever-changing Silver.

From 2000 through the present (when the Pats went Navy Blue), the Patriots have utilized many different types of Silver. The NFL designates separate color standards for three different aspects of color - solid colors (Pantone colors used in printing), textile colors (used for fabrics), and custom process colors (printing in four-color processes). There are more-than-likely standards for thread and tackle twill, but for some reason, the NFL doesn't list them in the official documents I've seen. Other leagues do, however.

Here are the various Silvers (they call it "New Century Silver", BTW) that have been used since 2000:

NewEnglandPatriots_SilverCompare.jpg

As you can see, the standard Pantone Solid Color is VERY dark. Much darker than anything you'd actually see on the field; I'm not sure why the Patriots (and a couple of other NFL teams) use it. Most of what you see in print uses the bottom Silver - the custom process version.

You can also see here the change in Pantone Textiles from 2004 to 2005. Not much of a difference. Not sure why they made the change. I should note - the colors displayed here are all use the current sRGB255 color space. These are exactly the way Pantone, Inc. intend for these colors to be displayed on computer monitors. Provided that they're properly calibrated, that is.

So, for those of you that care about these things (it's usually just me and one or two others!), here ya go.

Oyi...too much silver....

"Oh, cut the bleeding heart crap, will ya? We've all got our switches, lights, and knobs to deal with, Striker. I mean, down here there are literally hundreds and thousands of blinking, beeping, and flashing lights, blinking and beeping and flashing - they're *flashing* and they're *beeping*. I can't stand it anymore! They're *blinking* and *beeping* and *flashing*! Why doesn't somebody pull the plug!"

Sorry, just saw "Airplane 2."

Cards.png

That's the second time the words "red alt" has been brought up in less than a week...and hopefully will be the second time a certain member misses it completely. :P

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

So. The original thread regarding the new Patriots' Silver became a quagmire of death and destruction, but I thought I'd STILL address the confusion over the Patriots ever-changing Silver.

An oxymoron if I've ever seen it! :D

Okay, sorry to interrupt. The thread is actually interesting.

You can also see here the change in Pantone Textiles from 2004 to 2005. Not much of a difference. Not sure why they made the change.

PANTONE, I think I heard somewhere that they changed the silver textile color this year so that the silver jerseys wouldn't look so much like a "dirty laundry" version of the white jersey At least that was the explanation I was given by the editors of Patriots Football Weekly when I asked about the possibility of tweaking the alternate (see red jersey concept that floats around on this board like a hooker with an STD).

PANTONE, I think I heard somewhere that they changed the silver textile color this year so that the silver jerseys wouldn't look so much like a "dirty laundry" version of the white jersey...

That's what I'm showing between the "High-rise" and "Silver" textiles. However, I believe that the older one ("Silver") looks darker than the new one.

These swatch representations are supposed to accurately show what they look like on computer monitors, but reality is a whole other thing.

That's the second time the words "red alt" has been brought up in less than a week...and hopefully will be the second time a certain member misses it completely. :P

no, no, ive seen it. i've just grown tired of fighting the good fight.

why not a red alt?

That's a great idea! Why not?? :P

Regardless of whether or not it's a good idea or not - it doesn't belong in this thread.

That's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about the differences in the Silvers used by the Patriots - not what color their alts should be.

why not a red alt?

That's a great idea! Why not?? :P

Regardless of whether or not it's a good idea or not - it doesn't belong in this thread.

That's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about the differences in the Silvers used by the Patriots - not what color their alts should be.

I keed Pantone. I keed.

6uXNWAo.png

Archived