Women playing Men's Sports

TurnTwo

Will a woman ever play in the MLB, NFL, NBA, or NHL?  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

TurnTwo419, ever hear of Manon Rheaume?  How about doing some research next time, pal?

I think he means like an every day player during the regular season.

I can see it happening in the future because in Starship Troopers that girl Diz was quarterback of their football team and you know that movie is a direct representation of what will happen in the future. :P

That's what I meant.

"I must be butter, because I'm on a roll."

Turn Two Design // Facebook

1995 New Jersey RHI 1 24 6.00

My mom worked for the Rockin' Rollers at te time. I remember the only reason why she played 1 game was because it was Manon Rheaume poster day. She was a complete gimmick and couldn't even cut it in the RHI.

I don't think women in the work place is an equal comparision. In most corporate type jobs strength isn't a neccesity to get ahead. It's mostly about thinking which women and men are equal at. Big time athletics is different because physical strength is needed to get ahead and men naturally have more because of as mentioned testosterone. That's why girls at a young age can compete with the boys however as guys grow up there level of testosterone goes up and they become more stronger. So girls competing in little league may become a social norm however it doesn't mean they will end up playing in the majors. I'm never going to say never because there may be an extrodinary case however I don't think we will see a bunch of women playing in the "big 4".

i would of sworn that i heard of a woman who struck out babe ruth + lou gehrig once. someone please tell me this is true and im not hearing things :D

originally i voted no but i didnt think about a kicker or finesse pitcher. now that i think about it i guess could happen but not anytime soon i dont think

I predict yes. I think we'll have a woman play in the NFL and in Major League Baseball in the future. A woman could never play in the NBA because the NBA has set women up with their own league and I don't think Stern or whoever is the commissioner in the future would want a woman to cross over. As a poster previously stated, a woman has played before in the NHL.

Since there isn't a women's league that I know of that is affiliated with the NFL or baseball, I think you'll see a woman attempt to play in these leagues. I also think a woman could probably play right along with the guys in a game of baseball. I haven't done enough research to know if a woman can play with men in the NFL, though.

TurnTwo419, ever hear of Manon Rheaume?  How about doing some research next time, pal?

I think he means like an every day player during the regular season.

I can see it happening in the future because in Starship Troopers that girl Diz was quarterback of their football team and you know that movie is a direct representation of what will happen in the future. :P

That's what I meant.

Gotcha. ;)

In that case, it probably will happen, but i dunno if it'll happen in this lifetime.

6uXNWAo.png

i would of sworn that i heard of a woman who struck out babe ruth + lou gehrig once. someone please tell me this is true and im not hearing things :D

originally i voted no but i didnt think about a kicker or finesse pitcher. now that i think about it i guess could happen but not anytime soon i dont think

see my post on page one.. it is very true...

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

If baseball legalized the underhand pitch, then Jennie Finch would be a superstar in the MLB.

I'm not sure about that. Remember softball fields are the same size as Little League fields. Move here back about 15 feet and she would be significantly slower. Add to the fact she doesn't throw as hard most Major League pitchers now.

If baseball legalized the underhand pitch, then Jennie Finch would be a superstar in the MLB.

It isn't legal now? :blink: And like jkrdevil said, the mound is farther away in MLB. She can only throw...what? 65 MPH tops? That is very slow in MLB.

Quite a few women have already left their mark....

Nancy Leiberman is enshrined in the Basketball Hall of Fame. As a 5'10" point guard, Lieberman redefined the women's game with her physical "schoolyard" style of play, refined on the playgrounds of Long Island and Harlem, where she was known on the streets as "Fire" for her fiery play and blazing red hair. She made history as the youngest player in history to win an Olympic medal for basketball, and the first woman to play in a men's league. The first woman inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame, Nancy starred in college at Old Dominion and helped pave the way for the future of women's basketball. In 1997, at the age of 39, she made a comeback to play in the WNBA, a league which would have allowed her to shine in her earlier career.

Nancy played in the Women's Basketball League and the Women's American Basketball Association. In 1986-87, she made history as the first woman to play in a men's professional league when she played for the Springfield Fame and the Long Island Knights of the United States Basketball League. Nancy followed that achievement by playing for the Washington Generals on a world tour against the Harlem Globetrotters in 1987-88. :notworthy:

In 1977, Lucy Harris became the first woman to be drafted by an NBA team (New Orleans Jazz) and then in 1979, Ann Meyers signed an NBA contract for $50,000 for one year with the Indiana Pacers. Neither ever appeared in a game. :mad:

The Harlem Globetrotters are the only coed professional basketball team. In 1985 the team picked Olympian Lynette Woodward as its first female member.

1977 - Janet Guthrie qualifies for and competes in the Indianapolis 500 and the Daytona 500

1991 - Vojai Reed becomes the first woman to take part in a BASSMASTER professional fishing tournament.

1992 - Manon Rheaume becomes the National Hockey League's first female player.

1993 - Julie Krone becomes the first woman jockey to win a Triple Crown race.

1997 - Ila Borders pitches for the St. Paul Saints, becoming the first woman to play professional baseball.

2002 - In New Mexico, Katie Hnida becomes the first woman to play in a Division I-A college football game.

2003 - Shaunavon, Sask., native Hayley Wickenheiser, playing for a Finnish minor-league team, becomes the first woman to score a goal in a men's pro hockey game. :flagcanada:

2003 - Annika Sorenstam becomes the first woman in 60 years to play side-by-side with men in a PGA event. (NOTE: she wasn't the first woman)

2005 - Danica Patrick becomes one of the most popular drivers of the season in the male dominated sport of Indy Racing

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Archived