Turf Question

Ron Mexico

So after watching the Cuse/WV game, I saw the Carrier Dome has FieldTurf now instead of the old green carpet. MLB and the NFL no longer have any facilities with Astroturf, and Boise State, Wisconsin, and other notable college football teams that played on Astroturf now are on FieldTurf. My question is, is Astroturf used anywhere now? Any other 1-A colleges still using it? 1-AA colleges? Or is the NLL (they use Astroturf, right) the biggest thing still using that relic of a material?

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

I've done some research, and (I believe) the following 1-A schools still use old Astroturf:

Idaho

Rice

Texas Tech

Toledo

Marshall

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

I'm glad SU installed the field turf for this season.

Funny story about the old turf....

At my commencement in 1998, one gentlemen tripped over a seam on his way to the podium. I made sure I watched my step from that point on.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

The Rochester D&C did a feature story on the Carrier Dome this SUnday as it opened it's 25th year of play this afternoon.

The Story

The lone quote about the field turf...

From AD Darryl Gross

"I think that was a significant step because the old turf was being used againast us in recruiting. Coaches from other schools were saying, 'You don't want to go there and play on that surface because it's dangerous and you might get hurt.' Well, that issue has been eliminated. This stuff is the closest thing to grass."

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Do I get any points for being at the last mlb game to be played on astroturf?

Only if you kept a chunk of it.

I do have a chunk of it actually

If you have some way of verifying that it is actual SkyDome turf (a COA from the team or from whoever runs the stadium) from the Jays' final game on the stuff, hang onto it. I don't know anybody who collects astroturf, but at least it's a neat conversation piece.

If you can see a ghostly figure of the Virgin Mary of Elvis on the turf, put it on e-bay and GoldenPalace.com will snap it right up B)

If you have some way of verifying that it is actual SkyDome turf (a COA from the team or from whoever runs the stadium) from the Jays' final game on the stuff, hang onto it. I don't know anybody who collects astroturf, but at least it's a neat conversation piece.

If you can see a ghostly figure of the Virgin Mary of Elvis on the turf, put it on e-bay and GoldenPalace.com will snap it right up B)

You asked for it...

turf2.jpg

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I've done some research, and (I believe) the following 1-A schools still use old Astroturf:

Idaho

Rice

Texas Tech

Toledo

Marshall

i think Middle Tennessee St still has it as well

North Texas still has it, but Mid Tenn switched recently, if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: I stand corrected. Mid Tenn still has AstroTurf, unfortunately. :mad:

You asked for it...

turf2.jpg

You're in like Flynn, my man!

Archived