So much for Badgers throwbacks

DrBear

From Wisconsin head coach Barry Alvarez's weekly presser:

QUESTION #16: Just to follow on Brian?s line of questioning, more reaction from the throwback uniforms and did anybody get screwed up because the W?s were on the front instead of the side?

ALVAREZ: I had a friend from Pittsburgh call me. It was just before their game. I think he had been tailgating for quite awhile. This was just before the Notre Dame and he said, oh, as the athletic director now you?re trying to save money, huh? I said, what are you talking about?

He said, those were the ugliest helmets, you were trying to save a few bucks on the decal, just throw a little tape on the helmet, no names on the back of the jerseys, what the heck is going on. I said, they were throwback jerseys, didn?t you understand what we were doing. No, I didn?t have the sound up on the TV, we were tailgating, I was just watching the game. So that was his response.

Somebody told they were coming down the elevator and someone in the elevator said sure didn?t like our new uniforms. So I don?t think everyone got the message what was going on, but the players enjoyed them. I think our players had fun with them and . . . players will get a jersey and then the rest of them will go on (uwbadgers.com), but I think it was pretty nice. It was kind of fun to do.

REPORTER: Will we see them again?

ALVAREZ: No.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

From Wisconsin head coach Barry Alvarez's weekly presser:

QUESTION #16: Just to follow on Brian?s line of questioning, more reaction from the throwback uniforms and did anybody get screwed up because the W?s were on the front instead of the side?

ALVAREZ: I had a friend from Pittsburgh call me. It was just before their game. I think he had been tailgating for quite awhile. This was just before the Notre Dame and he said, oh, as the athletic director now you?re trying to save money, huh? I said, what are you talking about?

He said, those were the ugliest helmets, you were trying to save a few bucks on the decal, just throw a little tape on the helmet, no names on the back of the jerseys, what the heck is going on. I said, they were throwback jerseys, didn?t you understand what we were doing. No, I didn?t have the sound up on the TV, we were tailgating, I was just watching the game. So that was his response.

Somebody told they were coming down the elevator and someone in the elevator said sure didn?t like our new uniforms. So I don?t think everyone got the message what was going on, but the players enjoyed them. I think our players had fun with them and . . . players will get a jersey and then the rest of them will go on (uwbadgers.com), but I think it was pretty nice. It was kind of fun to do.

REPORTER: Will we see them again?

ALVAREZ: No.

fluffin idiots...

My favorite part was Alvarez saying that they wont wear them again. Actually, I think they should go to those jerseys full time. But I'd rather not ever see the helmets again.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

My 11-year-old son's reaction to the helmets: Looks like budget cuts.

Don't give us that. It's for one game!

Don't give us what... his 11-year old's reaction to what he saw?

I'm going to play Pop Child Psychiatrist for just a sec: 11-year olds have a hard time grasping the subtleties of making a uniform design faithful to one that was worn 30 or 40 years before his own existence. Things begin and end in his lifetime. For all he knows, the Colorado Rockies were never a hockey team and have been around FOREVER. (I feel the same way about the Texas Rangers [1972] and The Price Is Right [1974], but I digress.) So when he sees a team wearing the uniform design of the 1960s, when graphic design was simpler and appealed to different standards and tastes, and when sports marketing was infantile compared to the 24/7 billion-dollar multimedia experience that sports is today, he sees a simple red "W" on the front and back of a white helmet. No stripes, no teal, no black, no shadows, no X-TREME, no shiny metal. Hell, not even the "Motion 'W'", which he believes has been around FOREVER in his 11-year old world. And his preadolescent mind is constructed to be honest about his opinions, and try mixing in adult humor. Thus, he gave an honest comment about his impressions. There was likely no consideration given to 1960's uniform design, UW history, the idea of throwbacks, or that this would be done for 1 special game to commemorate the rededication of Camp Randall Stadium.

Dude, you're not that far removed from 11. What are you so far removed from that you're showing displeasure at his son's comment? There's nothing wrong with what the kid said, or that his father shared it.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Anyone (aside from 11 year-olds) who think throw-backs for one freekin' game means budget cutbacks are idiots. Or, if a team gets new uni's at all, and then mentions budget cutbacks, they're an idiot. I mean, if a team came out in last years uni's, with holes in them, and still dirty because they school couldn't afford to wash them, then, yeah, blame budget cutbacks. But, if you got new unis, by definition, the school is spending money (hey, look, the school is cutting back by buying all new uniforms :rolleyes: ), and isn't cutting any budget.

Moose

edit - and as a note, I'm referring to Alvarez's friend from Pittsburgh in the origional post, not the 11 year old...

I'm going to play Pop Child Psychiatrist for just a sec: 11-year olds have a hard time grasping the subtleties of making a uniform design faithful to one that was worn 30 or 40 years before his own existence. Things begin and end in his lifetime. For all he knows, the Colorado Rockies were never a hockey team and have been around FOREVER. (I feel the same way about the Texas Rangers [1972] and The Price Is Right [1974], but I digress.) So when he sees a team wearing the uniform design of the 1960s, when graphic design was simpler and appealed to different standards and tastes, and when sports marketing was infantile compared to the 24/7 billion-dollar multimedia experience that sports is today, he sees a simple red "W" on the front and back of a white helmet. No stripes, no teal, no black, no shadows, no X-TREME, no shiny metal. Hell, not even the "Motion 'W'", which he believes has been around FOREVER in his 11-year old world. And his preadolescent mind is constructed to be honest about his opinions, and try mixing in adult humor. Thus, he gave an honest comment about his impressions. There was likely no consideration given to 1960's uniform design, UW history, the idea of throwbacks, or that this would be done for 1 special game to commemorate the rededication of Camp Randall Stadium.

Dude, you're not that far removed from 11. What are you so far removed from that you're showing displeasure at his son's comment? There's nothing wrong with what the kid said, or that his father shared it.

*lies down on bench*

well Dr. VitaminD, it all started when I was little and my mom wouldn't let me go out for football... :cry:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Throwbacks should never be worn for the first game of the season. People don't always get the message that it's a throwback.

Ideally, throwbacks should be worn against a rival. It would have looked better if, say, the Badgers played the Gophers with both teams wearing throwbacks.

well Dr. VitaminD, it all started when I was little and my mom wouldn't let me go out for football... :cry:

Aw, 'Scrim... there there. There there.

Mind you, psychiatry is not my chosen field of practice, and I don't work with the kiddies. But I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night...

On the other hand, my folks did let me play football. I was a receiver on a team that ran the option. Meanwhile, my high school racked up 8 state soccer titles in the decade, including 6 in a row. Wish I'd been kept out of football... :cry:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Throwbacks should never be worn for the first game of the season. People don't always get the message that it's a throwback.

Ideally, throwbacks should be worn against a rival. It would have looked better if, say, the Badgers played the Gophers with both teams wearing throwbacks.

the downside of that would be we'd be subjected to some piece of crap the Gerbils once called a uniform :P not that their current rags are any better :hockeysmiley:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived