Vikings announce stadium deal

TBGKon

Apparently the northern suburbs have replaced the southern and western burbs as the fastest growing in the TC area. Damn, I lived in the Twin Cities for 18 years and I don't think I can find Blaine on a map. Good that they're getting the new stadium, though. I thought they would be the last to get one, though.

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

As a Minnesota fan, I am happy to see the vikes go to the burbs. What's the difference? Eight home games a year.

Now let's get the Twins a nice downtown park!

(on the record I am against public financing, but I honestly hope it happens).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The title of this thread is very decieving - including the word "deal" indicates it is a done deal, let's turn over dirt. The Minnesota Legislature still has to approve their portion ($$$) of this, and approve the county sales tax. When you look at it that way, the Twins couldn't get the Legislature to approve just the county sales tax part with no state money for their stadium this past session. This, plus the fact that the Gophers are looking for a new football stadium as well.

Now, I'm as big a sports fan as the next guy, and would love to see all three get built (so I could see games finaly at a decent building without having to go to Milwaukee or Chicago), but let's be realistic about the chances of one or even two of these getting built...

My rank of odds of getting built:

1) Twins - No state money, small county sales tax; 5-1

2) Gophers - At least they can't threaten to move to Iowa, can they?; 10-1

3) Vikings - Sales tax, state money, and moving out of downtown; 500-1

Plus, there is the chance that if there is no special session this fall, none of these stadiums get done. Especially the Twins.

Moose

The title of this thread is very decieving - including the word "deal" indicates it is a done deal, let's turn over dirt. The Minnesota Legislature still has to approve their portion ($$$) of this, and approve the county sales tax. When you look at it that way, the Twins couldn't get the Legislature to approve just the county sales tax part with no state money for their stadium this past session. This, plus the fact that the Gophers are looking for a new football stadium as well.

Now, I'm as big a sports fan as the next guy, and would love to see all three get built (so I could see games finaly at a decent building without having to go to Milwaukee or Chicago), but let's be realistic about the chances of one or even two of these getting built...

My rank of odds of getting built:

1) Twins - No state money, small county sales tax; 5-1

2) Gophers - At least they can't threaten to move to Iowa, can they?; 10-1

3) Vikings - Sales tax, state money, and moving out of downtown; 500-1

Plus, there is the chance that if there is no special session this fall, none of these stadiums get done. Especially the Twins.

Moose

If the Gophers were a pro team they would have moved 20 years ago. :P The support given to the football program (both from the general public and from the U administration) has been pathetic at best. We may rip Glen Mason for not delivering on the football field, but we wouldn't even be talking about a stadium if it wasn't for him.

My odds:

Gophers: More than half of the cost will be funded privately (They're at ~$50; $35 mil on the table that'll go away if they don't get it done by the end of the year. 5-1

Twins: Contraction is coming next year. Without a stadium deal for either of these teams, I fully expect the Twins and Marlins to get axed. 8-1

Vikings: The counties are really getting hosed on this one. I'm putting it higher than what you put it at because this is the Vikings, after all. 200-1

And BTW, one thing that hasn't been brought up yet is the state can punt this back to the counties to put up for referendum. If they do that, the Twins and Vikings deals are as good as dead.

sportsbanner-single.jpg

You guys are probably right about the stadiums. People in Minnesota are a little bit different when it comes to public financing. And frankly, it makes me proud. But it also means that big time sports is passing the Twin Cities by. I don't want to lose my teams, but it's nice to see the people hold strong.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

You guys are probably right about the stadiums. People in Minnesota are a little bit different when it comes to public financing. And frankly, it makes me proud. But it also means that big time sports is passing the Twin Cities by. I don't want to lose my teams, but it's nice to see the people hold strong.

Minnesotans are WEIRD about public financing.

Our friendly neighbors to the east will spend gazillions of bucks just on salt for the highways during the winters. The result: An even higher percentage of accidents in the winter than here in North Dakota, where there is a limit as to how much salt you can put on the highways, and rusty vehicles to boot.

Minnesotans will also spend, spend, spend on all sorts of programs that don't need as much spending or need much less. But how much money is spent for new stadiums? Not a cent.

Granted, you have gazillionaires like Carl Pohlad who won't spend an extra dime to help raise a stadium for the Twins. But maybe, just maybe, if people like him were given incentives from the legislature, he would pitch in an extra penny or two. Maybe not, but what the heck, it's worth a try.

One other thing: It seems Minnesotans are doing a terrible job trying to get Minnesota-based corporations such as 3M and General Mills to help out on paying for these proposed stadiums.

Meanwhile, we fans of Minnesota teams outside the Land of Loons shake our heads, wondering if teams like the Twins and Vikings will stay put.

Is there any possibility of the Vikings and Gophers sharing a new stadium?

That would be the worst thing to happen to the Gophers, and probably the end of competitive Gopher football; we would go (back?) to being the Baylor of the Big 10. Fan apathy is bad enough being off-campus (and they're really not that far; really it would work if the Gophers actually got parking and concession money), this would move them even further away. As for the Vikings sharing a stadium with the more-likely-to-pass-in-Congress Gophers in their new stadium, it'll probably happen if it takes the Vikings an extra year to get a new stadium, but only after the Vikings finish out their Metrodome lease in 2011. The Gophers have the same lease, but they aren't really paying anything, so it'll be fine if they move out in 2008/2009.

As for corporations jumping in to support the stadium efforts, TCF Bank has thrown in money for the Gophers stadium ($35m for naming rights), as has Best Buy. I think the others are waiting for something to pass in congress before pitching in. General Mills has always had a great relationship with the U of M; I'm sure they'll be on board at some point.

sportsbanner-single.jpg

Archived