Nhl.com releases video on new rules enofrcement

ROCHitman

Video illustrates new rules

8+ minutes long if you have the time.

I found it very educational and I'm a big hockey fan and official so I've always been well informed on these topics. It may prep you for what you are about to witness this upcoming season.

I'm interested to hear the opinions of other long-time hockey fans and newcomers to the game (are there any new fans???)

BTW, what were they aiming for with that music?

It starts off kind "dooms dayish".

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Well, I haven?t watched the video because it's too long. I will get around to it thought. However after looking at the changes I think it's going to be the same as the previous season or worse as far as pace goes.

For years the NHL has resisted ignoring the redline for 2 line offside passes and for good reason. However, because of the lockout the NHL caved to pressure from sportswriters who don?t know anything about the sport and use the Olympics a guide. Well, guess what the Olympics are always going to a faster pace because you have the very best of the best playing against each other. A fact that hasn't been looked at by the league and writers is that the Czech Republic is putting the red line back in for 2 line passes because taking it out slowed the game down. The 2-line pass might be something the teams become overly worried about it, even though the 2-line pass would be rare at even strength, and thus the drop the trap back even more.

What might even make the play slow down even more is making the neutral zone smaller. The is the zone already where the play is slowed down because of congestion, making that zone smaller just slow it down even more. It's like taking a 2-lane highway that has traffic and then changing it to 1 lane.

The restriction on goalies playing the puck only hurts the effectiveness of the 2-line pass even more. You will have more dumping and chasing because of this. Without it the restriction you would have more players trying to make plays because if they dump the puck the goalie if he can play the puck can send done to the far blue line. Again it hurts the pace of the game.

Obstruction being enforced. This needs to be done but I doubt it will past the first month. They say this every year. You are already hearing grumblings about the amount of penalties in the preseason.

Shootouts. It's a gimmick and I don't like it. The shout extend the OT to ten minutes or go 4 on 4 for 5 minutes then 3 on 3 for 5 minutes. First goal wins. Shootouts make the league look gimmicky and it's a slippery slope if they keep putting gimmicks in there pretty soon we have the WWF (or whatever it's called now).

The one thing that might help the pace is the salary cap. Teams really can?t afford to have a goon or two who just fight. And this is a good thing. Fighting is like the shootout it's a gimmick and needs to be gone.

Is the shootout going to be implemented into the playoffs? It's such an artificial way to end a game, and to replace those epic Triple-Overtime playoff games with shootouts would be terrible.

The one thing they didn't implement that I thought they should have is no-touch icing. Why do we need more players getting hurt this way? It'll speed up the game and save players, and that's really what's important.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Is the shootout going to be implemented into the playoffs? It's such an artificial way to end a game, and to replace those epic Triple-Overtime playoff games with shootouts would be terrible.

The one thing they didn't implement that I thought they should have is no-touch icing. Why do we need more players getting hurt this way? It'll speed up the game and save players, and that's really what's important.

Fortunatly no shootouts won't be part of the post season. I just hope in a full years it isn't put in the post season.

As for no touch icing. The new rules state if the linesman feels there might be a risk of injury he can blow wistle for icing. Automatic icing won't save anytime because the linesman still has to go down there to get the puck and skete it back down the ice. So if what they have now can prevent injuries I like it.

Fortunatly no shootouts won't be part of the post season. I just hope in a full years it isn't put in the post season.

That is really strange. I agree that the marathon overtime games are entertaining, but I don't know if I like the idea of a rule being in effect during the season but not in the playoffs. That adds to the whole "gimmick factor" you speak of. Like, "Here, this shootout idea is really hot and exciting, but we're not going to use it for any serious contests." I would rather they adopt a uniform policy. I don't really mind shootouts that much. I think in time they will be accepted as a great part of the game, people will soon be talking about the most tense and memorable shootouts of the season.

Anyway, didn't mean to threadjack. Sorry.

EDIT: And I am aware that the NFL doesn't allow ties in the postseason, for obvious reasons. Can't think of any other rules off the top of my head in other major sports that aren't in effect during the postseason, but there might be some.

I think it's best if there are no shootouts in playoffs. Marathon games are part of the postseason stretch, and this is what makes the Stanley Cup run more exciting. Every player must go beyond their limits to get their hands on the trophy.

I'd hate to see a single player give the win for his team, simply because you're supposed to win and lose as a team.

Ask any Canadian player when Forsberg scored against Burke in the '94 Olympics... They'll say they hated that a shootout goal made a difference.

Still, Sweden players were pretty happy (and I can understand), but it's a team sport, so no single player should have all that pressure on his shoulder (especially the goalie).

Also, I think it is great to see that linesmen can decide whether a run for the puck is too dangerous. This will help prevent any stupid injury while chasing for the puck. I hope all rules are applied as they say. I've seen a preseason game on TV and although there are a lot more, it looks as though players don't complain about penalties anymore. They know they're guilty and expect to be penalized. I guess it's a good start. Let's pray it'll stay the same! ^_^

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

I think that everyone is overlooking one of the most important changes, the one that will help "unclog" things--the touch-up offsides. I believe the change made in the 90s to go away from that system caused all the slow-downs with the trap, etc., because teams were no longer allowed to aggressively forecheck once the puck had left the zone and was shot back in.

Since you could no longer clear the zone, but rather had to wait for the puck to come out of the zone, teams would have no choice but to fall back to the neutral zone and set up their traps. Now that touch-up has returned, teams will be allowed to clear the offensive zone, then return to the zone to forecheck, doing away with the need to set up traps in the neutral zone, freeing up the play.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I'd hate to see a single player give the win for his team, simply because you're supposed to win and lose as a team.

Happens all the time. His name is "Goalie." ^_^

A goalie doesn't win a game for the team. He gives a chance to his team to steal one, but he can't score goals himself.

Granted, sometimes plopty teams win because of their goalies, but they needed to score at least a goal.

Until I see a goalie scoring a hat trick while stopping everything shot his direction, I stand by my beliefs. ^_^

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

:D It took a while before someone pointed that out....

Although Detroit was surely leading the game, hence the empty net... :P

• 2 weeks later...

More news on hockey officials....

Referees to wear mics

As a fan, this is nice.

As an official in other sports besides hockey, I think of this as just another way for us to cater to the fans when the game is actually about the players. I can go along with it though as the NHL needs all the fan support it can get.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Archived