Saint's Uniforms

illini1

What aboot the gold that the Saints used to wear from '67 to about '75? It was more of a mustard shade of gold, but the pantone colors don't list it. Maybe it wasn't on the helmet so much, but it definitely was on the pants.

Here's my estimate for the 1967-1975 time-frame. I believe the alternate-"flat" Gold was used for the pants:

NewOrleansSaints_FRC_1975_SOL.jpg

The "olden days" gold was much more of a copper color than today's gold. Looked a lot better too. I dig the gold numbers on white but when they went back to gold numbers 5 or 6 years ago, the league decided gold on white was too hard to see. Note the single white stripe on the then-prototype helmet.

JtaylorNo.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

The "olden days" gold was much more of a copper color than today's gold. Looked a lot better too. I dig the gold numbers on white but when they went back to gold numbers 5 or 6 years ago, the league decided gold on white was too hard to see. Note the single white stripe on the then-prototype helmet.

skyaal - I didn't realize the NFL asked them to change; since the change back to black numbers coincided with Ditka bringing back the black pants (with the mustard stripe that year) I always assumed the change was to match the new pants better.

Damn, those unforms are a thing of beauty. I think the copper gold is dark enough that the gold numbers, with the black outlines, could be worn today.

It would look better if the shoulder numbers matched those on the front of the jersey :D

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Here's the full version of that pic:

0814_large.jpg

Side note: the guy on the right is Gary Cuozzo. My very first football card that I got back in the late '60s was that guy. He became my favorite football player (I thought the name "Cuozzo" was cool for some reason) and I was thrilled when he was traded from the Vikings to the Cardinals before the 1972 season.

Then, he retired after the '72 season to become a dentist full-time (!).

I even went to the Cardinals' training camp in Bloomington/Normal, Illinois before the 1973 season, and asked some of the assistant coaches about him. I was only 10, so they humored me.

Cuozzo was a decent backup QB...he backed up Johnny Unitas in Baltimore, Fran Tarkington and Joe Kapp in Minnesota, and split the starting role in St. Louis with Jim Hart and Tim Van Gelder. He even held the Colts' record with 5 TD passes for a long time until Gary Hogeboom tied it (against replacement players I might add), and then Peyton Manning broke it in 2003.

0814_large.jpg

Damn, those unforms are a thing of beauty.

I most heartily concur.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. As several other teams-- the Colts, Jets and Giants most notably-- have gone back to basics, now is the time for the Saints to adopt this look with minor variations for modern uniform materials and construction.

As in this picture, get a nice consistent copper-y gold. And wear white at home-- hopefully in a new retractable roof stadium to be built on the site of the damaged 'dome....

It is what it is.

sandwich thin black stripes around the single white one on the helmet and that's a fantastic football uniform, and would catapault the Saint's unis to near the top.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Damn, those unforms are a thing of beauty.  I think the copper gold is dark enough that the gold numbers, with the black outlines, could be worn today.

It would look better if the shoulder numbers matched those on the front of the jersey :D

Why? Doesn't bother me that the Packers' TV numbers don't match.... :D

bs-bar914.jpg

Did the Saints not wear white at home the last year they made the playoffs?

Their first copperish gold is better than what they have now.

Indeed they did, because the team had a better road record and were trying anything to change their "oh-fer" playoff record. And as for the gold numbers on white a few years back, I'm not sure if it was a team or league thing. This is from the "Uniform History" page on their website. Says they wore the gold-on-white 1996-98 but I don't remember it being for that long.

//

1996: Jerseys - White, gold numerals with black trim, Fleur-de-Lis emblem on sleeve and TV numerals on shoulder; Black, gold numerals with white trim, Fleur-de-Lis emblem on sleeve and TV numerals on shoulder; Saints' 30th anniversary patch worn on right front shoulder. Pants - Gold with wide solid black stripe and gold Fleur-de-Lis emblem inside stripe at the hip. Socks - White with solid black.

1997: Pants - NFL shield added to lower right thigh.

1999: Jerseys - White, black numerals with gold trim; no changes to black jerseys. Pants - Black with wide solid gold stripe & black Fleur-de-Lis emblem inside stripe at the hip worn with white jersey only.

2000: Helmets - Fleur-de-Lis emblem updated for first time since the franchise's start in 1967 as white/gold/black outline added. Jerseys - Updated Fleur-de-Lis emblem on sleeves of both jerseys. Team wore white jersey in NFC Wild Card Playoff game vs. St. Louis Rams (12/30), instead of usual home black. Pants - Gold with wide solid black stripe & updated gold Fleur-de-Lis emblem inside stripe at the hip worn with both jerseys.

//

Link to the uni history: Saints Uniform History

The Saints originally wore white at home and those unis really are great. The black jersey is awesome too (see Joe Horn in throwback below). The gold numbers must have been expensive, too, because within a few years their dysfunctional front office changed to the unis below. I always get a chuckle out of that gigantic helmet logo, which ran from the earhole to the stripe. Added a modern pic to illustrate the difference.

16512.jpg

Manning,Archie5.jpg

horn_vt.jpg

Then:

saint68a.jpg

And now...note the smaller helmet logo (and Aaron Brooks auditioning for the Metropolitan Ballet):

8vike1215.l.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived