OT: allstar game in edmonton

oilfaninvan

there is a rumour floating around edmonton that they are trying to get the All star game to be played outdoors at commonwealth stadium! they'd also have an oilers allumini game with gretz, kurr, moose, ranford etc outdoors as well. i think this would be incredible. the allstar game has become so pathetic and a waste of my time, at least this will bring the all star game back to "spectacle".

if they can't do this then i say the oilers and flames should at least play an outdoor exhibition game every year.

Vancouver 2010 Two Man Luge Gold Medalist.

http://www.geocities.com/oilfaninvan

The thing is though is that the rink is a #### of a lot smaller than the football field.  If you saw pictures of that outdoor game at Michigan Stadium a few years ago, you'll see that they put the rink in the middle of the field and put two long rubber walkways from the exits in the boards to the entrances of the locker rooms.

I think it'd work a lot better if they put in lengthwise along the endzone.  Sure you'd have one empty side, but those three fullsides would more than make up for it.  Or they could put up temporary seating up in the empty side.  Mind you, they'd have to cut off more than half the stadium from seeing it, but it'd still be more people than at Skyreach Centre.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

That outdoor game last year was actually at Spartan Stadium before they ripped up the turf.  Supposedly the big problem was with televising it because the lights reflected badly off the ice, but I would assume with the NHL's higher budget that could be fixed.  There's no reason to put the rink across the endzone, it's fine in the middle of the field.

• 2 months later...

This is another rumour that has been whipped around by the mill.

The Oilers are NOT trying to get the All Star Game to be played outside at Commonwealth Stadium.

They are NOT even trying to get the All Star Game.

The Oilers are NOT going to put together an Alumni game with Kurri, Gretzky, etc.

They ARE trying to get special permission from the NHL to stage a game versus the Calgary Flames outside at Commonwealth Stadium.

What about an exhibition game between the Leafs and Senators inside the Skydome?  I say this because 1. It isn't cold in September, and 2. Toronto ain't getting the All-Star Game back for a while.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Commonwealth Stadium is grass, isn't it?  If that's the case, it can't host a hockey game because the cooling mechanism would kill the grass.  That's why the game between Michigan and MSU had to be at Spartan Stadium rather than the much larger Michigan Stadium, because at that time Spartan Stadium had artificial turf.

A game at SkyDome would still work.

After the "Cold War" game, it was rumored that the Red Wings would play an exhibition game at Ford Field.  I haven't heard anything since then, though.

Commonwealth Stadium is grass, isn't it?  If that's the case, it can't host a hockey game because the cooling mechanism would kill the grass.  That's why the game between Michigan and MSU had to be at Spartan Stadium rather than the much larger Michigan Stadium, because at that time Spartan Stadium had artificial turf.

There have been some rumours regarding Commonwealth Stadium and the possibility that it may convert to artificial turn when the natural turn ends the run of it's useful life.

They ARE trying to get special permission from the NHL to stage a game versus the Calgary Flames outside at Commonwealth Stadium.

That's the story that was on Canoe a few weeks back.

As for the cold, who cares?  They play football in Canada in the winter, don't they?  The Gray Cup sure looked cold.

Also, as fans across the American North learned a few years back, BEER makes football games much warmer.  Just ask that guy in Greenbay.  You know, the one painted green and yellow dancing without a shirt as it snows.

Besides, if they don't want it, I DO.  Isles vs. Rangers at Shea Stadium baby!

Rob

Archived