IT'S OFFICIAL: Cincinnati Railraiders

Dilbert

the cyclones was originaly the IHL team before stepping down to the ECHL

The Cyclones were ECHL for 2 years and then they went to the IHL and when the IHL folded, they were granted another ECHL team and played there until their demise.

The original ECHL Cyclones franchise was moved to become the Birmingham Bulls and then Birmingham moved to become the Atlantic City Boardwalk Bullies.

The original Louisville RiverFrogs franchise became the Miami Matadors and then that franchise became the 2nd version of the ECHL Cyclones.

Weak name.

Weak logo.

Why not Cincy Hilltoppers?

Packers? (Was pork capital in 1800s)

I'm out of ideas, but RailRaiders sucks. Use a team nickname that has something to do with your city.

Did you read the article?

Cincinnatis Museum Center used to be the Train station for Cincinnati years ago and still sends out some Amtrack today. Its a historical site for Cincinnati. and apparently(I didnt know this) that Cincinnati was where the first train roberery was.

Yes, I read it.

But every city has a railroad, this is wayyy to generic. It's liek saying the "Cincinnati Streets". When I think of train robberies I think of the West, not Ohio.

I don't know what is unique to Cincy. I know my friends from there refer to themselves as River Rats, but another undeserving team has that nickname.

The ridiculous perspective on that logo makes it look like arse on its own, but it's gonna look even worse on the front of a sweater. I do like their secondary - the "RR" with crossed sticks to make it look like a railroad crossing sign. Clever and well executed, as opposed to everything else in this package.

The name bugs the hell out of me. Even RailRIDERS would have been a much better choice, which is what I think most of us read it as initially, because intelligent people can't immediately process something that sounds as dumb as "Railraiders." This whole outfit would be better served by reclaiming the Cyclones' name and running with that. But then again, from what I've read, the Cyclones organization became renowned around Cincy for repeatedly shooting themselves in the foot during their last run in the ECHL, so I could see why this ownership might shy away from that identity. I guess at this point, we can still take comfort in the fact that it's a loooong way to October 2007, and there's plenty of time for revision and adjustment. There's also plenty of time for fan backlash and letters of "I'll buy season tickets if you dump that retarded moniker," which would be a surefire way to get everyone involved to come to their senses.

Of course, the silver lining is that pro hockey is back in Cincy, which should make everyone happy. Even those of us in Chicago who miss a good rough-and-tumble rival.

Oh, and since this will make team number 29 for the AHL (assuming Cleveland doesn't go in the dumper after this season,) where should number 30 go?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

This taught me that Demonized is a rare typeface that is more easily read in all capitals. Oh, and if you look closely, the wheels have a different vanishing pint than the rest of the train, hence Gothamite's forced perspective comment.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

This whole outfit would be better served by reclaiming the Cyclones' name and running with that.

The Cyclones organization and The Gardens organization (the RailRaiders owners) are two different factions all together who were direct competition for years. A team playing in The Gardens with the name Cyclones has about 0% chance of happening.

But then again, from what I've read, the Cyclones organization became renowned around Cincy for repeatedly shooting themselves in the foot during their last run in the ECHL, so I could see why this ownership might shy away from that identity.

I could tell you stories that would shock and amaze you about that organization. I was part of that organization during the time that they went from the ECHL to the IHL to playing at the US Bank Arena.

While I understand the connection to Cincinnati history that team ownership is trying to establish with the name, it seems awfully forced to me. Has anyone else ever heard of train-robbers being referred to as "railraiders" before?

Further, as rendered, the train depicted in the logo doesn't appear to be from the era in which the first U.S. train robbery took place. If we accept that the first train robbery in the United States took place just outside Cincinnati in 1865, then the train in the logo should clearly be identifiable as a steam locomotive of that period... not what appears to be a highly-stylized diesel train from the 1930s or '40s.

Then again, the artistic quality - or lack thereof - of this design is clearly a huge part of this identity package's failure. I guess we shouldn't expect a designer who opted to render the logo in such a forced perspective to clearly and accurately depict a steam engine of the mid-to-late 1800s.

All in all, a failed branding effort in my opinion.

Archived