New 2006-07 NHL Uniforms

beesharps

The leafs logo is stuck in the 70s & 80s! As a Toronto resident, the Leafs logo is everywhere, and you really get so see how lame the logo actually is. They need a logo change, badly.

If they did a modernization of the logo they had in the 60's, with some incorporation of silver, that would be nice.

Even changing the logo to their alt uniform crest logo is a major improvement.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

An NHL team wouldn't be able to have ticket prices at a level the market could bear and remain financially viable even with revenue sharing.

While much of this was true of the Winnipeg the Jets left 10 years ago, that city is not the same city that the team would be returning to.

It's fair to say that attendance would be lower than average, but to say that we'd be creating the least revenue is quite untrue. Considering the volume of tickets that the Carolina's of the league sell at discount (through promotions), one cannot assume that the 14,000 people in attendance paid full price.

Additionally, when the Raptors and Trailblazers came to town (hardly a marquee matchup), it was the nosebleed seats that didn't sell out. The $175 lower bowl seats were packed. A reasonable conclusion would be that people are willing to pay top dollar for top level entertainment, and that the lack of basketball fans who were willing to go out on a midweek-night (personally disappointing in its own right) prevented the sellout.

The theatre example came before my time (at least, before the time at which I followed the various local business and economic goings-on). However, it's not a case where Famous Players had to pull out of Winnipeg because the market couldn't bear a price that was required to support the chain's presence. It was more a matter of Winniipeggers responding to price gouging by making use of essentially identical substitutes.

The arena is plenty large enough to support an NHL team. The question is more a matter of whether the Winnipeg economy can support a team, and I think the answer, especially in comparison to other markets, is yes.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

The leafs logo is stuck in the 70s & 80s! As a Toronto resident, the Leafs logo is everywhere, and you really get so see how lame the logo actually is. They need a logo change, badly.

If they did a modernization of the logo they had in the 60's, with some incorporation of silver, that would be nice.

Well I like the existing logo, but you are right that it does need to be spruced up in some sense. It worked well with the previous jersey set, but it just looks...boring with the current one. I dont like the alt jersey (looks too clean...) but that Leaf on a different style jersey set may look pretty cool, or even just keeping it as it is and eliminating that damn tie up would be good. I do like the current logo, but...I dunno, the alt one would be cool to make as a standard...but dont add no sliver, if Detroit can stay a 2 tone team, so can we.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Lots of hockey fans in Columbus--Ohio State draws more college hockey fans than any other school.

Um, no, sorry, not even close... Now, they might have the biggest rink (17,500) in college hockey, but filling it (ave. attendance - 4721) is a huge problem. (In fact - only three schools on that list - American International, Bentley, and Canisius - have a lower % of capacity than OSU) That building was built for basketball first, and hockey as an afterthought.

Moose

Well I like the existing logo, but you are right that it does need to be spruced up in some sense. It worked well with the previous jersey set, but it just looks...boring with the current one. I dont like the alt jersey (looks too clean...) but that Leaf on a different style jersey set may look pretty cool, or even just keeping it as it is and eliminating that damn tie up would be good. I do like the current logo, but...I dunno, the alt one would be cool to make as a standard...but dont add no sliver, if Detroit can stay a 2 tone team, so can we.

There's one difference, neon.

Detroit has kept everything the same for ages.

Toronto has been changing a LOT of things here an there for a long time, eliminating the the classic look aura that Detroit has. Boston has done the same, especially with that alternate jersey.

Silver's not that bad, but graphite is better :hockeysmiley:

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

There's one difference, neon.

Detroit has kept everything the same for ages.

Toronto has been changing a LOT of things here an there for a long time, eliminating the the classic look aura that Detroit has. Boston has done the same, especially with that alternate jersey.

Silver's not that bad, but graphite is better :hockeysmiley:

Lets make all Toronto teams have a 3 colour scheme - Blue, White and Graphite!! :P

You are right there, but Detroit has tweaked their logo once or twice, but its still basicly the same logo. Toronto also has done the same to some extent, keeping the Leaf, but modernizing it. I would like them to go back to the more classic style of leaf, and maybe have an alternate that would reencorporate red back into it or even some green from the st. pats days. As for a shoulder logo, they can put a Leaf with a T in it as was the very old Toronto hat logo. I would whip up a concept but I'm lazyyyyy.

But I am with you in Toronto would be smart to go with their alt logo as their primary and their exisiting primary as their alt or something. But the jersey design itself should go back to the 70's style, or keep it classic.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Lots of hockey fans in Columbus--Ohio State draws more college hockey fans than any other dchool. As for the South, I'm with you. I'd also like to see another franchise in Hamilton (maybe three in Ontario would be too many)or Winnipeg.

What does this mean for vintage jersey like Winnipeg and Quebec will the NHL still make those in the old style or the new tight fight, cause if they do it's just not vintage NHL anymore right?

untitled-6.jpg

Lots of hockey fans in Columbus--Ohio State draws more college hockey fans than any other school.

Um, no, sorry, not even close... Now, they might have the biggest rink (17,500) in college hockey, but filling it (ave. attendance - 4721) is a huge problem. (In fact - only three schools on that list - American International, Bentley, and Canisius - have a lower % of capacity than OSU) That building was built for basketball first, and hockey as an afterthought.

Moose

glad you posted this, I thought for sure Wisconsin was up there, I though 'No way OSU draws more" Nice to see UND at #2.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Moose

glad you posted this, I thought for sure Wisconsin was up there, I though 'No way OSU draws more" Nice to see UND at #2.

Yeah, they'll get huge crouds for "big" rivalry games vs. Michigan, but then the when they realy need fan support, in the play-offs, look how many show up for a deciding game vs. Ferris State... Pathetic. How do you get less than 2000 for a Conference play-off game (with an NCAA birth on the line), but 14,000 for a game in January? Yeah, Columbus' got "Lot's of hockey fans." :rolleyes: Me thinks' there are lots of rivalry fans in Ohio...

Moose

Anyone give thought to the notion that when he says "cooler" he's speaking of the new, heat and moisture wicking fabrics that are being used in many athletic garments these days? If the jerseys are going to be more form-fitting, then clearly they're going to need to be more effective in dispersing heat and perspiration.

There are too many fans in too many markets who'd sooner hack off a limb than see their team's sweaters redone.  And these are the markets where the NHL does the best (Montreal, Toronto, Detroit, Boston, Philadelphia, St. Louis).

Toronto, Boston and St Louis have had many somewhat major uniform changes over the years.

Compared to the changes that have been proposed as part of a radical makeover of the teams' uniforms, the changes that were made in the aforementioned cities are relatively minor. The Leafs' biggest changes were a subtle addition of silver (difficult to notice when not up close) and the number font matching the wordmark (great idea BTW); the Blues more or less reverted to the original design, modernized; and the Bruins still have the "B" with spokes and gold/white striping (although I don't like what they've done to the shoulders). Alt jerseys are a different matter.

All of those changes are noticeable but not as drastic as say, what the Coyotes did (new logo/colors/striping/fonts). I'd bet that the "new" NHL sweaters are going to be as drastic as what the Coyotes did, if not more.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

There are too many fans in too many markets who'd sooner hack off a limb than see their team's sweaters redone.  And these are the markets where the NHL does the best (Montreal, Toronto, Detroit, Boston, Philadelphia, St. Louis).

Toronto, Boston and St Louis have had many somewhat major uniform changes over the years.

The Leafs' biggest changes were a subtle addition of silver (difficult to notice when not up close) and the number font matching the wordmark (great idea BTW)

Look up the Leafs uniforms from 1971-1992, come back to me with a report :) They also introduced a new shoulder patch (along with the new colour) back in 2001.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

The Leafs' biggest changes were a subtle addition of silver (difficult to notice when not up close) and the number font matching the wordmark (great idea BTW)

Look up the Leafs uniforms from 1971-1992, come back to me with a report :) They also introduced a new shoulder patch (along with the new colour) back in 2001.

I think the Leafs have had the most uniform changes of any NHL team over their existance, not counting the St. Pats and Blue Shirts (Arenas) days. Many different crests as well as uniform design and colours (different shades of blue, white and red lettering at one point).

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

I was referring more to the changes made from the previous uniforms (Felix Potvin.Doug Gilmour) to the current ones. Again, shoulder patches aren't on the same level as what the Coyotes did, which is the level of change I think of when I hear "radical redesign". The Leafs have made many changes, I am agreeing with you; but they're still royal blue and white, with a maple leaf crest and the words "TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS" written over the leaf.

The Leafs' changes from the '70s to now are, IMO on about the same level as the Flyers' changes in the early '80s from their Cup-winning jerseys to what they wear now (at least the white roads).

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived