Chicago Cubs uniforms

nickelcat15

nl_1932_chicago.gif

It must be just the print quality that makes the blue in the leftmost uniforms appear darker than in the other versions.

But as far as inconsistency, anyone notice that the Cubs had two different "Cubs" script logos? There's the Cubs home script (second in from left) that's recreated by Mitchell & Ness. But look at the uniform on the right, the one that reads "Chicago". Look on the sleeve, it appears to say "Cubs" in a different script than the home version.

I wonder why that script wasn't used on the home uniforms.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nl_1932_chicago.gif

But as far as inconsistency, anyone notice that the Cubs had two different "Cubs" script logos? There's the Cubs home script (second in from left) that's recreated by Mitchell & Ness. But look at the uniform on the right, the one that reads "Chicago". Look on the sleeve, it appears to say "Cubs" in a different script than the home version.

How 'bout throwing in an early C-ubs logo in this set as well? (sleve of the road arched Chicago) You can see this version of the logo better here on the 1922 homes:

nl_1922_chicago.gif

Is it me, or do the 1931-33 sets break just about every rule as far as trying to combine too many elements into one uniform?

Moose

I'd love to see those with the "fancy" script as a throw back.  Those are sharp with the pinstripes and all.  Was it 1936?  It was 1932.

This would have been awesome to watch at Wrigley in the summer of 1932:

nl_1932_stlouis.gif

Away

vs.

nl_1932_chicago.gif

Pinstriped Home

You never would have seen it, because the pinstriped jerseys you mention (with that "fancy" script - incidentially, my favorite Cubs font) debuted, I believe, in the World Series in 1932. They returned (I'm not sure in what capacity - alt?) in 1933, but the Cards were back to the "Cardinals" script by '33...

FWIW, here's a better look at Mitchell & Ness' version of the jersey:

CU32W03_W.jpg

And their version of the font:

cu32w03_detail.jpg

Moose

Well crap.

Oh well...still some sweet looking threads.

Red = Cardinals...

The Yankees have a touch of red in their logo...how about a red Yankees uniform... you should be banished for a month from the board even suggesting red for the Cubbies.. come on... take a logo history class and we'll see you in December... red, stupid...

I keep one notable thing in mind: the only time the Cards wear red jerseys is during BP.

a red vest would work, cus the undershirts and hats would maintain enough blue to remind folks it's the Cubs. heck, I would even consider a colored placket, but most folks would draw the line well before that.,

and about script, yes teh Sox use it. the Mets essentially wore the Yankees' NEW YORK lettering on their roads in the late 80s, and nobody had trouble telling who was who.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On the "fancy" Cubs script topic, my favorite Cubs hat is this one:

hat.jpg

I bought it at the Wrigley Field home plate gift shop this past summer for $20 after taking a WF tour... I had wanted to buy it when I was there in 2004, but didn't, thinking I could get it elsewhere, but, guess what, you can't!

The same gift shop also sells Majestic replicas of the 1932 World Series jersey (but it has problems - just like the hat, the C is red, instead of white, the sleves are short, instead of 3/4, and the whole logo is way too small) for, I think, $70. A lot better than M&N's $225, though if you just like the basic look...

All-in-all, and esecially after tracking down the '32 team photo, I'm in love with that script more now, than I was before (and that's saying a lot, because I liked it a lot before...). As far as current Cubs uni's, I wouldn't mind seeing the Cubs do what the White Sox did a few years ago, and go with a Sunday home throwback deal, and wear these once a week at Wrigely. Hell, what do they got to lose?

Moose

the Mets essentially wore the Yankees' NEW YORK lettering on their roads in the late 80s, and nobody had trouble telling who was who.

So? Didn't look good

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I've never been a fan of the blue uniforms. And while I like the road uniforms, I kinda liked the road uniforms they had back in '95 & '96 with the "Cubs" script.

As a Die-Hard Cub Fan, here's the changes I would like to see...

- Get rid of the blue uniforms.

- Return the last names to the home uniforms.

- Replace the current blue with a dark blue, same color as the Spring Training/BP unis.

- Have alternate vest uniforms to replace the current blue ones. I like the sleeveless unis. Exact same white/home & gray/road uniforms, sans sleeves. Dark blue undershirts with the Walking Bear C logo, same as the regular unis.

I whipped up these as an example...

Home

Away

Home alt.

Away alt.

I'm not a cub fan but do enjoy these!!!

Well done!!!

donm.gif

Gordon-Tech-Rams.png

the Mets essentially wore the Yankees' NEW YORK lettering on their roads in the late 80s, and nobody had trouble telling who was who.

So? Didn't look good

got me on that one...point, TCR...

POINT!!  TCR!!!

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived