Chicago Cubs uniforms

nickelcat15

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just make sure the road script and numbers are blue outlined in red, instead of blue/white script, red/white #s. Also, lose the red bill, and limit the blue jersey to Carlos Zambrano's starts.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

No, their grey is not very good at all, and the blues are overworn.

I agree. I am not the biggest fan of the Cubs home jerseys, but at least they have continuity, somewhat. The road jerseys looks horrible, and the blue is even worse. They need to redesign the blue jersey, and not wear it so often.

The Cubs like to talk about "tradition". They act as if they are the friggin Yankees, when they have actually been a doormat for nearly 100 years. Their only time honored tradition is losing, but I digress. They act as if they are a tradition rich, sacred franchise. Meanwhile, they changed their BP stuff to navy blue a couple of years ago. The caps (which are by the way, HIDEOUS) and the jerseys flew off the shelves, and now they make navy blue Cubs t-shirts. Yes, navy blue for a team who's colors are royal and red.

Here is my fearless prediction:

Within the next five years, the Cubs will change their road jerseys, and navy will replace royal blue as the predominate color. They apparently feel that navy will sell better than royal blue, so they are running with it. They will cheapen their jerseys by adding colors that arent their colors (might as well throw black in, too). All the while, they will keep the home unis the same for the "tradition".

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Although It'd probably break some rule, a Cubby Blue uni (not the one they have now) should be used as a road uni with an older version of the Chicago script-- the one from 1969 is a good one. I'm not sure, but I think blues were the road unis in the 1980s, after they got rid of the powder-blues.

They act as if they are the friggin Yankees, when they have actually been a doormat for nearly 100 years.  Their only time honored tradition is losing, but I digress.

Check your history - 10 Pennants and 2 World Series Titles from 1906 to 1945. Okay, so it gets a bit shakey 1946 on (but 60 years is a lot different than 100 :P )

As far as the uni's, I like what they have. I've said it before, and I'll say it now - I'd prefer to see the blue's less - especially at home.

If I had to pick historical favorites, 1933 home would be a good time to revisit, both the regular season, and alt World Series jersey (which was left over from the '32 fall classic):

nl_1933_chicago.gif

And, FWIW, here's the "Rockwell" Cubs era uni's (which are Okay):

nl_1938_chicago.gif

Moose

Vest. Cubs were the first team to ever wear a vest. 1941. Add a grey vest but do not change anything else. Chicago letterindoes need to go back to 1968 road style... They have a very tight identity. Lifelong Cubs fan.

Gameplan | A Strategy for Achieving an Objective.

A gray "CHICAGO" road vest, with a blue shirt underneath, could work. I wouldn't mind seeing it done.

I also would LOVE an appropriate (read: non-pullover) version of the road jerseys from 1982-1989 ->

nl_1982_chicago.gif

You know, the Cubs and Sox should do two 1906 throwback days, one at Wrigley and one at the Cell:

Sox (1906) ->

al_1906_chicago.gif

Cubs (1906) ->

nl_1906_chicago.gif

I saw Cubs uniforms for a topic and thought I'd have to kill someone...but you guys have good points. I'm a HUGE cubs fan. I think they should limit the alternate blue like someone said. If they tinker or redo the road uniforms, thats fine. Just dont touch the home!! I like the blue 1984 uni, I'd like to see that more!

Vest is best. Roberto Clemente looked pretty good in a vested jersey. The Cubs would look great in a vested grey with blue undershirt. Cubs biggest move in their uniforms was taking their names off the back of their home jersey. Bad move.

Gameplan | A Strategy for Achieving an Objective.

Vest is best. Roberto Clemente looked pretty good in a vested jersey. The Cubs would look great in a vested grey with blue undershirt.

Yeah, looked sharp for the Royals. What's wrong with my concept?

Cubs biggest move in their uniforms was taking their names off the back of their home jersey. Bad move.

I agree.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

A gray "CHICAGO" road vest, with a blue shirt underneath, could work. I wouldn't mind seeing it done.

I also would LOVE an appropriate (read: non-pullover) version of the road jerseys from 1982-1989 ->

nl_1982_chicago.gif

You know, the Cubs and Sox should do two 1906 throwback days, one at Wrigley and one at the Cell:

Sox (1906) ->

al_1906_chicago.gif

Cubs (1906) ->

nl_1906_chicago.gif

FYI, the White Sox are wearing 1906 throwbacks sparingly next season, possibly for every Sunday homegame like they did with the 1917 throwbacks in '01.

I don't know for sure if the Cubs will do the same for one of the games, but I do know that a team can only wear a non-usual jersey (i.e. throwback) for a maximum of one game during a single series.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I've never been a fan of the blue uniforms. And while I like the road uniforms, I kinda liked the road uniforms they had back in '95 & '96 with the "Cubs" script.

As a Die-Hard Cub Fan, here's the changes I would like to see...

- Get rid of the blue uniforms.

- Return the last names to the home uniforms.

- Replace the current blue with a dark blue, same color as the Spring Training/BP unis.

- Have alternate vest uniforms to replace the current blue ones. I like the sleeveless unis. Exact same white/home & gray/road uniforms, sans sleeves. Dark blue undershirts with the Walking Bear C logo, same as the regular unis.

I whipped up these as an example...

Home

Away

Home alt.

Away alt.

Archived