Buffalo bills

rtrich11

Many of us on the board think it's odd that all the teams from Buffalo seem to ignore their team name in their logos. Most turn out to look like "the Buffalo Buffaloes".

As for the Bills, named after Buffalo Bill Cody, I took a literal approach and twisted it in a "Buffalo" kind of way. The result is pretty goofy, which is why I'm not bothering to take this past this Rough phase. I just wanted to see what it would look like. NOT a keeper.

Enjoy your Buffalo Buffalo Bills!

buffaloTR.gif

Of course, what adds to the irony is the fact that Mr. Cody got his nickname for killing bison, for crying out loud! He was a major contributor to the massacre of that left only about 1000 surviving animals by the end of the 19th century. Horrible stuff, if you think about it.

A clever name, but about as PC as the Redskins.

And I am a Buffalo fan.

As much as I hate the logos for Buffalo teams, I'd challenge anyone to come up with a decent logo for the "Bills" without using a bison/buffalo.

The only way I can think of would be to include dollar bills, or phone bills or something!

I suppose you could go the duck bill route! And in Britain the police are sometimes referred to as the old Bill so you could go the police route!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I agree it is a challenge to create a logo for the Bills. One could use a redesigned portrait of Buffalo Bill and incorporate it into a logo, but it's got to be interesting. I tried a little bit of both angles.

Anyone else tried to make the Bills represent Buffalo Bill, or any other route taken? Love to see...

If I were a better artist, I would make a logo of a cowboy type, like Cody.  

I envision a full body thing, the figure facing you, kind of bow legged.  He's either holding a rifle or two pistols.  He's grimacing.  I dunno, it's just the first thing that comes to mind.

Singing: Born on a mountaintop in Tennessee .... killed him a bear, when he was only three... DAVY, DAVY CROCKETT... king of the wil' frontier!

okay... so I don't know the lines to the song, and you probably don't wanna hear me sing it anyway, but I'm thinking, if it's in the song, there's gotta be bears in Tennessee.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I agree 100%. When you have a symbol of the city which naturally fits as a sports emblem, you should always use it.

I'm not so sure about that. ALL the teams in Los Angeles would have Angels. ALL the teams in Phoenix would have a burning bird.

Then why bother with a team name then? It would be the Buffalo Football Team.

I would accept the Buffalo Bisons or Buffalo Buffaloes, although redundant, would match what the mascots are.

ok sorry i stand corrected about tennessee and bears.....but still not really the first thing i think of when thinking of memphis.

How about the Velvet Elvises then?

Haha, interesting...when the Oilers moved to Tennessee, I was hoping they'd rename them the Memphis Kings...

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Singing: Born on a mountaintop in Tennessee .... killed him a bear, when he was only three... DAVY, DAVY CROCKETT... king of the wil' frontier!

okay... so I don't know the lines to the song, and you probably don't wanna hear me sing it anyway, but I'm thinking, if it's in the song, there's gotta be bears in Tennessee.

Actually grizzly bears only live in western Canada, Alaska and their habitat extends down a little into the northwestern united states.

If a bear was in Tennessee, and I am sure there are some, it would most likely be a black bear.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

I think the name Grizzlies works well in Memphis. The WFL Memphis Southmen were popularly known as the Grizzlies, because the fans hated "Southmen".

And Sabres, I didn't think about the Egypt-Memphis connection, and I think Memphis was actually the first capital of Egypt...

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived