Icecap's NHL re-design

IceCap

I know that a couple of people have already done NHL re-designs, but I thought I'd post mine, mainly because it only includes the Canadian teams. Hopefully I'll get to the American clubs as well, but right now I only plan on doing the Canadian ones. I would like to thank both CC and RC for the templates, logos, numbers, and colours.

Here are the first two, the two oldest hockey teams in the world, the Montreal Canadiens (est. 1909) and the Toronto Maple Leafs (est. 1917).

NHLuniformsLCM3.png

First off, the hated Montreal Canadiens. The Habs have one of sport's most recongnizable identities. I left the home reds, hockey's version of the Yankees pinstripes, alone, except for switching out the three coloured collar for a tie down.

I replaced the current road whites with a modified version of the throwbacks they have worn this season and last. I changed the numbers from a single outline version to a double outline version. I also replaced the vintage collar with a tie down..

For an alt I used the team's current white road jersey, only I replaced the current collar with a tie down.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NHLuniformsTML5.png

It's time for the greatest team ever, the Toronto Maple Leafs. I erased all remenents of the Ballard leaf logo, and instead based the home and roads on the current alt, a throwback to the 1930's-1940's unis. I did use the modern number font, however I replaced the silver with white, eleminating silver from the scheme all together. I also replaced the traditional triple striped socks. These socks, while traditional, are inconsistant with the jersey's stripping pattern. Instead I went with a simple double striped sock, staying true to the jersey's double stripe pattern. I also added a white stripe to the pants to add to the vintage look.

The alt is based on the uniform worn by the Leafs under the St. Pats identity. Again, modern numbers were used, as was the Leafs logo (instead of the St. Pats logo). I decided on the Leafs logo, because this jersey would be a full time alt, unlike the last jersey in the set.

The final jersey is based on the uniforms worn by the Leafs' first identity, the Toronto Arenas. This jersey would only be worn two or three times at home, when playing Montreal and Detroit, the Leafs' two oldest rivals.

~EDIT~

I changed up the socks. In the end I decided to use the traditional Maple Leafs socks, thus eleminating all traces Ballard's reign of terror. I also added socks that would be worn with the vintage Arenas jersey. The stripes on those socks match the jersey striping.

NHLuniformsOS3.png

Time for the Leafs' rival in the Battle of Ontario, the Ottawa Senators.

As of now the Sens have three jerseys, and three jersey designs. I cut the number of jerseys by one, eleminating an alt. I also decided on only one of the Sens jersey designs and discard the other two. I decided on the design of the black alt jersey, which I made the new home jersey, except for the logo. I discarded the 3D logo for the 2D version, simply because IMO the 2D version has more class. Then I went ahead and created a white version for the road. Also, the sock pattern was slightly changed.

First off, nice job for the Leafs (espcially the green one)...

The shoulder patch on the Sens is a nice logo that they shoul use for the alt uni...

Now, where I have a problem is with this statement...

It's time for the greatest team ever, the Toronto Maple Leafs.

ahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhaha

When I go to the Bell Center to see a Habs' game, I look up and I see 24 Stanley Cup banners hanging there...

Better, I see that there's been 10 banners put up there between today and the last time your ''greatest team ever'' won the Stanley Cup...

In Montreal, we don't say our team is the greatest, we don't call ourselves ''Hockeytown''.... These are just words. No buddy, in Montreal, we do the job instead...

Le QUÉBÉCOIS

sign_zps3c6a5c3f.jpg

In Montreal, we don't say our team is the greatest, we don't call ourselves ''Hockeytown''.... These are just words. No buddy, in Montreal, we do the job instead...

But without us, you guys would be nutton. Just Tor and Mont for the stanley cup for years and thats how u guys won them cus of us. We mad history becoming the first team to win the stanley cup, so no leafs ... no habs lol.

4kv29i.jpg

Wasn't Montreal A.A.A. the first team to win the cup but the Toronto Arenas were the first team, to win the cup in the NHL. So therefore neither of use did to much as Montreal A.A.A. is not affialated with the Montreal Canadiens

untitled-6.jpg

It's time for the greatest team ever, the Toronto Maple Leafs.

ahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhaha

When I go to the Bell Center to see a Habs' game, I look up and I see 24 Stanley Cup banners hanging there...

Better, I see that there's been 10 banners put up there between today and the last time your ''greatest team ever'' won the Stanley Cup...

woo, woo, woo. hold on there. it was a joke. secondly detroit calls themselves "hockey town" not toronto. i'm a leafs fan, yes. i take pride in the fact that we are number two on the all time cup list (13 may not be 24, but it's nothing to laugh at). however i admit that the habs are the greatest hockey franchise ever. no disputing that.

as for the whole "who won the first stanley cup" debate, there were a few "firsts"

the montreal aaa (commonly refered to as the montreal winged wheelers) won the first stanley cup in 1893. they are not affiliated with the montreal canadiens. so the team that won the first cup is no longer in excistance.

the seattle metropolitans became the first american team to win the cup in 1917.

the first stanley cup of the nhl era was infact won by the toronto maple leafs, then going under the name toronto arenas. same franchise, different name.

Anyway, time for the Western teams.

NHLuniformsCF4.png

Up next, the defending Western Conference Champions, the Calgary Flams.

First off, I eleminated the fire horse logo all together. Other then that I didn't change anything on the road whites.

On the home red I simplified the striping, and went back to the white "C". Also I eleminated the black tie-down collar, replacing it with a collar based on the road whites.

For the alt I ditched the black jersey and went with a gold one. IMO the gold is light enough to have a black logo, numbers, and lettering.

The sock pattern was also slightly tweaked. For the pants striping I recoloured the pants used by my two fantasy teams, the London Commonwealth and the Kitchener Red Coats.

I love the Sens white jersey, but I'd keep the current "swoosh" jersey as an alt, using the 2D logo.

On the Leafs jerseys, you didn't use the St. Pats logo on the St. Pats alt, but you used the Arenas logo on the Arenas alt. I was just curious as to why you chose to do it that way.

I'm really interested in seeing what you do with the Oil, I think their current jersey set is the nicest in the entire NHL.

stoneraizersig.jpg

On the Leafs jerseys, you didn't use the St. Pats logo on the St. Pats alt, but you used the Arenas logo on the Arenas alt. I was just curious as to why you chose to do it that way.

basically the green jersey is just based off of the st. pats jersey and would be used as a regular alt. the arenas jersey is more of a vintage design that would be worn only two or three times.

yeah, the oilers have a nice set. i'm saving them for last, mainly because i can't think of anything that would improve the current set, other then a logo switch and possibly making the shoulder yoke on the white sweater blue. that's probablly what i'll end up doing...

NHLuniformsVCbg2.png

All the way from the west coast it's the Vancouver Canucks!

First thing's first, I didn't design the logo. The logo I used is a recoloured version of the Christian Heratige Party 's logo, a political party in Canada that lies far right of the Conservatives. All though they scare the living daylights out of me, they have a logo that would look great as a Canucks primary mark. Seeing as this is just a concept, I decided to use it.

The home and road sweaters are besed off of the first set the team wore, as are the colours. With the Whalers playing in Carolina, no team in the NHL uses green/blue as a primary colour scheme.

The layout of the alt is based off of the design worn by the team during the 80's (I think). Thank you to puckcool for the layout of this jersey.

All of your concepts are really nice. One thing thought, it makes 3 teams with the maple leaf and that, IMO I think it's too much...

The Maple Leafs, the shoulder logo on the Sens and the new Canucks Logo...

I'M sure I would feel the same if there was 6 or 7 american teams making reference to the Star Spangled Banner on their unis...

Anyway, keep the posts.... :notworthy:

Le QUÉBÉCOIS

sign_zps3c6a5c3f.jpg

Wow! Drastic, but I like it! The simplicity of the logo reminds me of the "stick in the rink" logo, probably because the colours are basically the same. Love the layout and love the colours, green is very fitting for Vancouver since BC is a major forestry producer so the green alt can definately fit. Brings back the meaning "Canuck" again with the maple leaf in the logo as well. I LOVE THIS CONCEPT!

All of your concepts are really nice. One thing thought, it makes 3 teams with the maple leaf and that, IMO I think it's too much...

The Maple Leafs, the shoulder logo on the Sens and the new Canucks Logo...

I'M sure I would feel the same if there was 6 or 7 american teams making reference to the Star Spangled Banner on their unis...

Anyway, keep the posts.... :notworthy:

I see what your saying, but each team has a maple leaf for a reason.

Toronto Maple Leafs: there you go.

Ottawa Senators: Ottawa is the capital of Canada, and the national symbol of Canada is the maple leaf.

Vancouver Canucks: "Canuck" is slang for Canadian. The national symbol of Canada is the maple leaf.

I can gaurentee you that my Oilers concept will not have a leaf in the logo, so in the end it will be split 50/50. The Leafs, Sens, and Canucks all have leaves, the Habs, Flames, and Oilers will not have leaves.

Wow! Drastic, but I like it! The simplicity of the logo reminds me of the "stick in the rink" logo, probably because the colours are basically the same. Love the layout and love the colours, green is very fitting for Vancouver since BC is a major forestry producer so the green alt can definately fit. Brings back the meaning "Canuck" again with the maple leaf in the logo as well. I LOVE THIS CONCEPT!

Thanks, I really appreciate the complament. The only down side is that this concept will never be realised in any form, due to the fact that the logo already belongs to an other organization :cry:

NHLuniformsEO3.png

Last but not least, the 5 time Stanley Cup champions, the Edmonton Oilers. IMO the Oilers have some of the best unis in the leauge, and one of the best logos (oil worker). The only thing I don't like about them is the dated 70's logo. So all I changed was colouring the yoke on the roads whites navy, promoting the oil worker to primary status, and eleminating the "OILERS" logo.

Oh, and I ditched the alt all together. IMO one of the leauge's worst jerseys.

These are amazing. Vancouver is awesome though i would like to see the original logo. You should do the Winnipeg Jets, Quebec Nordiques and Hamilton Tigers too! Make it all the Canadian teams that played in the NHL!

Thanks for the kind words. I didn't use the Canucks original logo because I wanted something that actually made reference to the word "Canuck"

I do plan on adding two bonus concepts, the Quebec Nordiques and Winnipeg Jets, but that's it as far as Canadian teams go. After I'm done with the Nords and Jets, I'll start work on the American teams, though time is kind of tight around here.

Archived