New red wings font

cli1013

Hi! I'm new to this site, but I'm really interested in NHL jersey design (particularly the fonts).

I just noticed a picture of Derian Hatcher, and I was surprised that the Red Wings have changed their name font. Instead of that UGLY, tall, thin, curved sans serif font, there is a thicker, shorter, serif font--much classier, if you ask me.

I'm not a Red Wings fan (I love the Sharks), but I like this addition to their plan-but-classy unis.

Cut and paste:

http://sports.yahoo.com/top....prov=AP

--Crystal

this has been discussed on that uh hummm.... OTHER logo board, but thats not a new font. those are temporary iron on letters and numbers for the preseason. When the regular season starts they will be the traditional stiched on numbers and letters. a lot of NHL teams do this. I know the Sharks did it when they wore the original uniforms, although Im not sure if they do with the current look.

This is just a preseason font.  They don't take the time to put the arched names on everybody's jersey when many of them won't play with the wings during the season. The wings do this every year. They'll be in the curved font for the regular season.  

Also, that is an old jersey. The CCM tag is on the hem, not on the neck.  

Hatcher's pose in that linked pic looks kind of fruity.

Thanks for the info, guys (or girls).  I wasn't aware of this iron-on thing, but now that you mention it, it makes a lot of sense.  I do like the iron-on font much better than the regular bizarre font, though.  What's this other message board you speak of, SharkHatesBrown?  I'm pretty new to this online uni design community  :)

--Crystal

I know the Sharks did it when they wore the original uniforms, although Im not sure if they do with the current look.

When the Sharks debuted the Nike unis in 1998-99 they have worn regular style jerseys.  Prior to that, they had ones made for just the preseason.  It saves costs to do it that way.  

As for the Wings jerseys, the Rangers screen print their names for the preseason.  They used to be straight ala the Wings now the arch it.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

this has been discussed on that uh hummm.... OTHER logo board, but thats not a new font. those are temporary iron on letters and numbers for the preseason. When the regular season starts they will be the traditional stiched on numbers and letters.

And it's also been discussed every year. At the start of every Wings preseason TV broadcast, they have to make a big deal about it 'cause there are too many idiots who forget from year to year.

Here's a better view of the nameplate, from a photo taken last year:

http://www.detroithockey.net/multimedia/display.php?id=574

I'm glad it's just a pre-season font.  The arched text looks good, and gives it a more unique and classy look.  The pre-season fonts look exactly what they're supposed to be--cheap.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I'm glad it's just a pre-season font. The arched text looks good, and gives it a more unique and classy look. The pre-season fonts look exactly what they're supposed to be--cheap.

Hey... Isn't that the font the Minnesota Gophers use for hockey?

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

It's similar, but it's also twill instead of the transfers, and thinner.  That makes a big difference.  The Wings' jerseys look sloppy.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• LMU locked this topic

Archived