Who's the number one pick

gashouser27

Vick never looked like a particularly good passer in college.  And when you're 6'5", 235, and guys can't get a good shot at you, you're going to be able to break tackles, even in the NFL.

If that was the case, why are teams looking to draft the next Dante Hall with the first pick in the draft?

Notes from Vick's college career:

"Captured the first-ever Archie Griffin Award as college football Player of the Year as a (redshirt) freshman when he led the nation in passing efficiency at 180.37 (sound familiar, ITE?), the second-highest total ever, and guided the Hokies to a perfect 11-0 regular season record.

Set an NCAA record for a freshman and established single-season school records for highest yards passing per completion (20.4), per attempt (12.1), highest completion percentage (59.2) and most yards per play (9.3)."

Okay, I'll grant you Vick was never an outstanding passer, but he did ok.

And people are looking at Bush as the #1 pick because he looks spectacular, again, against pretty mediocre competition. I did say in another thread that if LenDale White (home grown in CO) turns pro, I'd rather select him if I were a GM.

Touche.

Though, in the times I've seen Vince Young play this year, I've seen him make throws that Michael Vick never could've dreamed of making, even in college.

As for LenDale White vs. Reggie Bush -- I'd probably lean towards taking LenDale, too.

IUe6Hvh.png

Touche.

Though, in the times I've seen Vince Young play this year, I've seen him make throws that Michael Vick never could've dreamed of making, even in college.

As for LenDale White vs. Reggie Bush -- I'd probably lean towards taking LenDale, too.

B)

One thing I won't doubt is how accurate he was last night.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I think Vince Young will not be a great in the NFL. He will be overrated much like Vick is. I don't think either are smart picks for QBs for a team. I doubt either can win a championship. I just see what happened to Vick in last years NFC Championship Game. He was shut down because the Eagle wouldn't let him scrabble. I can see the same thing happening to Young. I think both rely to much on running, which IMO will not be sucessful in the NFL.

1. Houston Texans - Trade down to 4th with New York Jets. Jets select Reggie Bush

2. New Orleans Saints - Matt Leinhardt because they SHOULD, but because Benson is an idiot. Vince would fit this offense and fan base far better. But I'm convinced Benson will make a mistake here.

3. Tennessee Titans - Vince Young - if Vince stays instead of getting drafted in the top 3, hes an idiot.

4. New York Jets - Trade up to #1 with Texans. Texans select D'Brickashaw

5. Green Bay Packers - DeAngelo Williams

6. San Francisco 49ers - AJ Hawk

7. Oakland Riaders - Jimmy Williams

If the Texans select Bush, it would be the worst draft mistake in years.

The only thing im thinking is that the Jets may not pick up Bush. From almost every Jets fan ive spoken to, they feel that they need a Quarterback like Matt Lienart before they need a Running Back. It looks to me like Jets fans are ready to dump both Pennington, who still can be a great QB, and Curtis Martin, who has at least another year in those legs. I say wait

The Jets better make a move for Leinart or Bush, especially if they load up on draft picks in exchange for Herm Edwards going to KC if that happens. New York needs to start fresh. What they have going for them right now just isn't going to work.

6uXNWAo.png

I think Vince Young will not be a great in the NFL. He will be overrated much like Vick is. I don't think either are smart picks for QBs for a team. I doubt either can win a championship. I just see what happened to Vick in last years NFC Championship Game. He was shut down because the Eagle wouldn't let him scrabble. I can see the same thing happening to Young. I think both rely to much on running, which IMO will not be sucessful in the NFL.

You don't think defensive mastermind Pete Carroll went into the game wanting to eliminate Vince Young from being able to scramble? He went on to carve them up. It eventually became clear that USC, one of the "best teams ever" had absolutely no way they could stop him.

IUe6Hvh.png

While I dont doubt that Carroll went in with the plan of shutting Young down, I think that the level of a college D, starting a freshman LB at that, just doesn thave the type of talent a pro D will.

I think Young was incredible last night, but a pro D will have better solutions to limit him.

I actually think the QB that will ahve the most pro success is Jay Cutler from Vandy. Tall, exceptionally smart, accurate passer. Whoever takes him will have a good solid NFL QB in a couple years.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I made the Vick - Young comparison but I think i meant to compare it more to the San Diego Chargers choice in 2001.

I think most scouts compare Young to McNabb because of his physical characteristics and disposition.

Definitely there have been touted QB's that have been busts, everyone brings up Leaf and there is also Mirer and I think the book is still out on Smith who was a can't miss..

It's probably easier to project a running back into the pros but you don't see many good teams without a good QB..

There are also a lot of RB's who come out of the 2nd and 3rd round every year

You don't think defensive mastermind Pete Carroll went into the game wanting to eliminate Vince Young from being able to scramble? He went on to carve them up. It eventually became clear that USC, one of the "best teams ever" had absolutely no way they could stop him.

Honestly I don't think Pete Carroll went into the game trying to stop Young. I'm sure it was in his mind. Or at least it wasn't the most important thing. Towards the end of the game, he started to send more and more blitzes on Young and he didn't look so good. If it were not for that face-mask call I don't think Texas would have won the game. Also as paynomind said NFL team are much better than any defense he will face in college. The Houston Texans would destroy either one of these two teams if they played.

Honestly I don't think Pete Carroll went into the game trying to stop Young. I'm sure it was in his mind. Or at least it wasn't the most important thing. Towards the end of the game, he started to send more and more blitzes on Young and he didn't look so good. If it were not for that face-mask call I don't think Texas would have won the game. Also as paynomind said NFL team are much better than any defense he will face in college. The Houston Texans would destroy either one of these two teams if they played.

Ahh yes... Vince Young looked awful on that game winning drive in which he accounted for all of their yardage. How can you say if they hadn't gotten the facemask call they would've lost? That wasn't 4th down. Carroll is one of the best defensive minds in the game -- of COURSE he went into the game attempting to stop the Heisman candidate.

IUe6Hvh.png

Ahh yes... Vince Young looked awful on that game winning drive in which he accounted for all of their yardage. How can you say if they hadn't gotten the facemask call they would've lost? That wasn't 4th down. Carroll is one of the best defensive minds in the game -- of COURSE he went into the game attempting to stop the Heisman candidate.

I wrote a big long post, but my @#$* computer didn't post it.

I don't feel like posting it all again so I say it in short. Pete Carroll didn't seem to blitz the entire game. If he did I think Young looks alot less impressive.

Personally I think scrambling QBs are very overrated. There is nothing impressive about running 10+ yards after the defense is spread out. I know there is no rule against it, but I think it is cheap and shows your not a great QB (just a glorified RB). That is why very few scrambling QBs every win the Super Bowl.

I wrote a big long post, but my @#$* computer didn't post it.

I don't feel like posting it all again so I say it in short. Pete Carroll didn't seem to blitz the entire game. If he did I think Young looks alot less impressive.

Personally I think scrambling QBs are very overrated. There is nothing impressive about running 10+ yards after the defense is spread out. I know there is no rule against it, but I think it is cheap and shows your not a great QB (just a glorified RB). That is why very few scrambling QBs every win the Super Bowl.

If it was so easy, wouldn't every QB take off and run for 10+ yards when the defense is all spread out?

If Pete Carroll proceeds to blitz all game, Vince Young picks the Trojans defense apart via the passing game. When it comes to coming up with an defensive gameplan, you're not better than Pete Carroll -- if it was so easy to blitz and stop him, he would've done it.

As for why so few scrambling QB's win the Super Bowl -- there's only like, 4 scrambling QB's in the NFL, and through history, there have been less than that at most any points in time.

IUe6Hvh.png

I dunno-if they take Bush, most people are projecting Young gets taken second by the Saints.

I know that the Saints will most likely play 2006 in Louisiana, but beyond that...well San Antonio is awwwfully close to Austin.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived