Illini in NIke "Revolution" Jerseys vs. Iowa

illinirox1

Right now on ESPN Illinois is playing Iowa, in away blue jerseys. However, they are the same Nike atrocities that were used in the Big Ten-ACC Challenge. (with silver shoulders) I think it's the first time any Big Ten team has pulled them out for a regular season game.

revolutiondeebrown.jpg

This is the Jersey I'm talking about...

Anyone know why they're wearing them? I thought it was only for the challenge...and I thought that the Illini looked stupid in them...

Put Your Hands up For Detroit (our lovely city)

I noted in the original thread where these were shown that the Daily Illini said the Illini would wear these again and how much I thought that sucked.

I'd love to blame this loss on those jerseys, but I think it was the black and white striped jersey that had the bigger effect. Big Ten road games are hard enough, having the refs call 27 fouls on you and just 13 on the other team kills.

Ohio State wore them a couple nights ago against Penn State, as well.

they've worn them for every home game this year. I like them, they were the only team where that actually matched.

PvO6ZWJ.png

they've worn them for every home game this year. I like them, they were the only team where that actually matched.

Yeah, Ohio State, Kentucky, Alabama, Arkansas, & Georgia look good with this template. Everyone else looks kinda tacky.

Yeah, Ohio State, Kentucky, Alabama, Arkansas, & Georgia look good with this template. Everyone else looks kinda tacky.

Ohio State's (and Illinois) is different that the other teams you mentioned. For Ohio State and Illinois, the piece of the shoulder above the swoosh is colored silver. Works great on Ohio State, looks awful on Illinois. If the Illini's jerseys just had the orange swoosh, they'd look fine, but the silver kills it. Of course, the black also kills it, but that's always been on that awful blue jersey.

It's always the refs' fault, eh, STL? ;)

No, they were cold from the field too, but 28-13 is a discrepancy that can't go unnoticed. The Illini didn't play great and it was on the road...they were gonna have to battle for a win...the refs made that impossible.

It also didn't help that they went from a late night Thursday game to a Saturday afternoon game.

No, they were cold from the field too, but 28-13 is a discrepancy that can't go unnoticed.

It means Illinois committed 15 more fouls than Iowa.

It bugs me when fans complain that a big foul discrepancy is due to refs looking the other way. Sometimes, one team fouls a lot more than the other one, especially when a game that should have been won swings the other direction.

/rant over

:P

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

No, they were cold from the field too, but 28-13 is a discrepancy that can't go unnoticed.

It bugs me when fans complain that a big foul discrepancy is due to refs looking the other way. Sometimes, one team fouls a lot more than the other one, especially when a game that should have been won swings the other direction.

/rant over

I agree. When that's true. This was not true at all. The refs 100% took any chance the Illini had of winning this game away, and it was crap.

Do I blame the refs too much? Absofreakinglutley, but this was awful. Truly awful. Bah.

Iowa is better than people thought. Illinois was c-c-c-cold and Dee Brown never really got off. (Could be worse...could be Kentucky.) The "special" uniforms looked like crap. If they wear anything other than the orange ever again it will be because the overlords at Nike made them. I'm quite sure Weber and the team would say so as well.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

Let's use the Nike school of thought and just dress all teams in the same exact uniform, just with different colors. Where's the creativity?? And how can a team use a uniform as an identity if they're unis are just like 5 other teams.

I think it's the complete lack of ingenuity that disgusts me.

Bring back the Whale!

/rant over

I agree. When that's true. This was not true at all. The refs 100% took any chance the Illini had of winning this game away, and it was crap.

Do I blame the refs too much? Absofreakinglutley, but this was awful. Truly awful. Bah.

How many of these fouls were down the stretch when you put the team at the line to get back in the game? This could be part of the reason for the high number between the teams.

Only 3 maybe 4 were fouls down the stretch to intentionally put the team at the line. It really was bad.

The Illini were cold and Iowa is a good team. Plus it's a Big Ten road game, and the Illini were tired. The Illini's chance to win wasn't exactly great anyway. The refs just took away the little chance there was.

The foul discrepency of 15 is awful. Worse, however, is the fact that 40 fouls were called at all though. Let them play.

Archived