Late 80's - early 90's UNC football jersey.

sacker12

I'm looking at this jersey on eBay, and I'm trying to see whether or not UNC has ever worn a style like this before I bid on it. Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Authentic-Football-Jer...1QQcmdZViewItem

UNC's numbers were screened on in the early 90s...and they had less navy.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

It could be Carolina. Though looking back at photos from 89ish (from a 1990 preview magazine) they did have Wilson as a maker. The thing that makes me scratch my head is the sleeves look to be more late 90's or today (tapered) and they seem to have the thick blue stripes of about the 95-96 Nike uniforms. But I'm not a expert on this, just looking at preview magazines from that time.

I'm going to say doubtful on this one.

Wilson did make Carolina gear before Nike took over. But they never wore navy trim that was that thick before Nike took over (and has since been scaled back during the John Bunting years). When I was there, the navy stripes were considerably thinner than the Carolina blue stripes. Furthermore, the sleeve striping on this jersey is uneven - there's a navy stripe and a Carolina blue stripe together, then a gap of white space, then a navy sleeve end.

It could be plenty of other schools - Columbia, the Citadel come to mind. Or even an affluent high school. It's nice, but I don't think it's a Carolina jersey.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

hey if you can get it for 20 bucks or less i would say go for it either way. plus who cares if its a UNC football jeresy any who. its not like their football program has done much to write home about anyways.(dont even try to come back with Mack Browns Overachieving group of misfits.)

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

Well, I'm not going to win the Giants, Steelers, and Vikings jerseys. I'm hoping that I will win the Raiders jersey. However, I did buy an authentic Kentucky road jersey at a local sporting goods store that was on sale for $30. It was a dealer sample, but it is the real deal.

UNC grad here...to me, that does not look authentic, based on sleeve stripes.

nice to see a fellow alum here

Ditto that to both of you...

With a little work, that #15 could be made into a Mike Thomas or Chris Keldorf jersey. Not that anybody'd want that any more than an unnamed knockoff... :therock:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I was thinking Keldorf too, then the '96 uva game came into my thoughts, and i vomited

That game was the night I turned 21. The last play I heard on the radio before going out was UNC, 1st and goal on the UVa 7. Right before the turnover. Later, I vomited too, but for other reasons. :mojoto:

2007nleastchamps.png

I'm going to say "nay" to this beiing the real thing. I was a student from 87-91 and don't recall the road jerseys looking this way. They did undergo alot of changes when Mack Brown took over starting with the 88 season (Interlocking NC on the helmet replacing the cascading UNC, etc), but this doesn't look right. Also, since my days there I don't think there has ever been white between the ligh blue-dark blue sleeve stripes.

This looks just like that jersey. I didn't know if they wore ones like these while with Wilson.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GAME-USED-NORTH-CAROLI...1QQcmdZViewItem

Not quite.

Not only are the block numbers on the #15 not Nike style (as worn in the 1990s), but the striping on the sleeves of the jersey in question has a large white stripe between the Carolina and navy blue stripes. Even if the numbers are right, the combination of the mistake made on the sleeve stripes, coupled with the fact that those numbers were not worn with thick navy stripes (different eras) makes #15 non-authentic.

While this one may be authentic, the #15 doesn't seem to be.

2007nleastchamps.png

Archived