Number fonts on NFL helmets and jerseys

DGivens87

I noticed over the years that the number fonts used on NFL helmets (such as the Patriots, Dolphins, Colts and Steelers until 1997) are different than the number fonts used for the jerseys. I've always wondered why they weren't the same or at least consistent. Can anyone shed a little light on this?

I don't have a definitive answer, but when it came time to identify players' helmets in the 50's, 60's and 70's, I don't think fashion was a consideration. Some teams just wrote a players number inside the helmet on the shell or the headband while others, like the Cowboys still do to this day, used plastic label tape. I think it was up to the equipment manager to go to the local hardware store and pick up some numbers. As teams became more fashion conscious and as it became easier for printers to make custom labels, more teams started labelling their helmets in fonts to match the jerseys (or vice-versa in the Steelers case). Others, like the Colts and the Raiders, kept using the same stickers they had used for years, I guess as a nod to tradition.

One of the overlooked aspects of the new Arizona Cardinals' logo and uniforms were the numbers on the back of the helmets. Previously, they were a standard Black block, but with the redesign, they went with Cardinal Red numbers trimmed in Black - which match the style on the jerseys. Here they are:

ArizonaCardinals_2005-9999_WNM_SOL.jpg

the Jags use the same font as the jersey, Nike created it for them on request from the equip. manager. Same for the Broncos, albeit it's a circle sticker it's still the same number font.

Alot of it has to do with the eqip. manager, some are just stuck in their ways. The Cowboys

use of the blue p-touch name sticker, as silly as it looks, is now an engrained part of their identity.

One of the overlooked aspects of the new Arizona Cardinals' logo and uniforms were the numbers on the back of the helmets.  Previously, they were a standard Black block, but with the redesign, they went with Cardinal Red numbers trimmed in Black - which match the style on the jerseys.  Here they are:

ArizonaCardinals_2005-9999_WNM_SOL.jpg

I love the cardinals new number font, and that's a nice touch to add it to the helmet. Now if only the rest of the jersey looked decent...

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

• LMU locked this topic

Archived