fantasy team needs nickname

stanthefan

i may have posted this in the wrong section...if so please move it to the correct one...

i have decided to throw in my hat and try my hand at a fantasy hockey league...

a friend of mine is starting up a league for next year..and asked if i was interested... and decided to give it a go....it will be NHL player based....

the stipulation on having a franchise is that the Team has to be based in a place that has a hockey history... but now does not have a team Major Jr. A or above operating out of it...

i have given it some thought...and decided on placing my team in ....

SHERBROOKE QUEBEC....

they have had a hockey tradition in both Major Jr. A and the American Hockey League... as well they are centrally located for travel... and i guess there is nothing really in the area in terms of other sports teams...so would be an exclusive territory...

now i need a nickname....something that would fit the area..and as well lend it self to a good uniform....(design of logo and uni can be suggested..or maybe i will get someone from here to do it...once nickname is chosen.... as i have no talent in that dept...)

your suggestions are welcome... and any other thoughts... thanks..

Sherbrooke Cows for the Dairy Farms?

the city is in the centre of an important agricultural region with many dairy farms(Clip from a research site)

manning2.gif

BUSCH STADIUM III IS COMING,ARE YOU READY?

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS (12-4-0) NEXT GAME VS KANSAS CITY

TB LIGHTNING (19-20-2) NEXT GAME @ COLORADO

ATLANTA THRASHERS(24-12-6) NEXT GAME VS PHOENIX

COLTS BACK TO BACK PLAYOFF APPEARANCES 05-06/06-07

the stipulation on having a franchise is that the Team has to be based in a place that has a hockey history... but now does not have a team  Major Jr. A or above operating out of it...

They have the St-Francois de Sherbrooke playing in the "Ligue Nord-Américaine de Hockey", which is Senior Hockey here in Quebec.

LNAH Teams

You might want to check if Sherbrooke is a valid city.

As for a name, I'd suggest that if you want local flavor, it might have something to do with the Appalachian range, as the city is very close.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

the city is in the centre of an important agricultural region with many dairy farms(Clip from a research site)

Could I see that clip??

I lived there for 4 years, and I haven't seen Dairy Farms. Maybe you're thinking about Saint-Hyacinthe, but I can guarantee you that Sherbrooke isn't an important agricultural region (being in a mountainy landscape).

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

I will submit, in both French (according to freetranslation.com) and English:

Les Taureaux de Sherbrooke - Sherbrooke Bulls (to go off of Coltzfan's "Cows")

Les Lynx de Sherbrooke - Sherbrooke Lynx

Les Baleines de Sherbrooke - Sherbrooke Whales

more to come as I think of some

Could I see that clip??

I lived there for 4 years, and I haven't seen Dairy Farms. Maybe you're thinking about Saint-Hyacinthe, but I can guarantee you that Sherbrooke isn't an important agricultural region (being in a mountainy landscape).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherbrooke,_Quebec

Here ya go.

What about Le Québec Stix?

For the hockey stick manufactuaring. Sorry im coming up with random ideas from research.

The Clip itself:

Sherbrooke (2001 population 75,916, post-merger population 141,200) is a city in south-eastern Quebec, Canada. It is the only major city in the Eastern Townships. Although originally settled in the early 19th century by anglophones, it is today a primarily francophone city.

Located at the confluence of the Saint-Fran*ois River and Magog River, the city is in the centre of an important agricultural region with many dairy farms. There is also some industry in the region. An important business is the manufacture of hockey sticks: more hockey sticks are made in Sherbrooke than anywhere else in the world.

The area of Sherbrooke was first settled in 1793 by American Loyalists, including Gilbert Hyatt, a farmer from Schenectady, New York, who built a flour mill in 1802. In 1818 the village of "Hyatt's Mills" received its current name, being named after Governor General Lord Sherbrooke at the time of his retirement and return to England.

The city grew considerably on January 1, 2002, by the mergers of the cities of Sherbrooke, Ascot, Bromptonville, Deauville, Fleurimont, Lennoxville, Rock Forest, and Saint-Élie-d'Orford.

manning2.gif

BUSCH STADIUM III IS COMING,ARE YOU READY?

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS (12-4-0) NEXT GAME VS KANSAS CITY

TB LIGHTNING (19-20-2) NEXT GAME @ COLORADO

ATLANTA THRASHERS(24-12-6) NEXT GAME VS PHOENIX

COLTS BACK TO BACK PLAYOFF APPEARANCES 05-06/06-07

Or you could resurrect one of the old names Sherbrooke used for their QMJHL teams (before they left for Lewiston and became the MAINEiacs)...

Les Castors de Sherbrooke (Sherbrooke Beavers)

Les Faucons de Sherbrooke (Sherbrooke Falcons)

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Or you could resurrect one of the old names Sherbrooke used for their QMJHL teams (before they left for Lewiston and became the MAINEiacs)...

Les Castors de Sherbrooke (Sherbrooke Beavers)

Les Faucons de Sherbrooke (Sherbrooke Falcons)

Yes! The Sherbrooke Castors. I love that logo. I'm still trying to find a jersey.

Seeing as though it's located by two rivers, something along the lines of Rivermen might work.

Where are all the "Ice" names? Something like IceBats, IceCows, IceBulls, IceSharks . . . you know, so we know it is a hockey team. :P

On a more serious note, was there not also a Sherbrooke Jets in the AHL? That rings a bell, though I can't remember for sure. If so, that would work (and I think it has a nice ring either way). Sorry I can't do the French translation.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Lemmie take a crack at this.... :hockeysmiley:

Sherbrooke Pollux- in Greek myth Pollux (sometimes called Polydeuces) is the twin of Kastor (Castors being the original name of Sherbrooke's hockey team) both are represented in the constellation Gemini. Kastor was known as a great horseman, Pollux was known as a great fist fighter- something one may want in hockey. They are also known as "Dioscuri" or "sons of Zeus".

Sherbrooke Tritons- a weapon on a stick, Greek myth, and a water theme

Quebec Orcas- I just like the way that sounds and it keeps a whale theme

Quebec Magogs- Name of a local river, plus it has an Apocalyptic/Final Battle theme

Quebec Maquis- translates into "wild". Also World War II French resistance movement

Sherbrooke Chevaliers- French for "knight"

Sherbrooke Rogues- theif, raider, or bandit specializing in stealth. Not to be confused with the French word "rouge" meaning red, but could be used as a team color.

Sherbrooke Brigade

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

hey guys thanks for all the suggestions...there are lots to pick from and all are valid...

i had thought about the Castors... and still do like that name..is very unique... but i would prob do a diff logo...although i did find the one used and like it as well..

there are lots here to choose from..and i think i have enough to decide upon... and lots will lend themselves to great logos..(which is the next thing i will ask for help as i have no ability here...)

one of the replys asked if Sherbrooke was valid because of the Que Senior league..and as far as i know that really doesnt count in the perimeters...as it is not a "recognized " league... guess worried about those leagues like the ones listed in the logos sections of this site.. or other wise every town has a senior or some kind of team...

once again thanks for the suggestions..and i will let you know my choice...or maybe run a poll... and then turn it over to you guys for a logo...maybe i will pick 2 names and see which brings the best logo....

thanks..

Archived