New Atlantic League Team

charliec107

A new team for Waldorf in Charles County, MD has been announced for the Atlantic League. No name is announced/decided on yet. I think its location takes away nicknames relating to the Cheasepeake (ex. Skipjacks (remember Baltimore), Blue Crabs). In case you don't know, Charles County is on the Potomac in Southern MD. What do you all think a good name for a new team in MD would be?

A new team for Waldorf in Charles County, MD has been announced for the Atlantic League. No name is announced/decided on yet. I think its location takes away nicknames relating to the Cheasepeake (ex. Skipjacks (remember Baltimore), Blue Crabs). In case you don't know, Charles County is on the Potomac in Southern MD. What do you all think a good name for a new team in MD would be?

Since Charles County was named after Charles Calvert, third Baron Baltimore. How about the Barons

Waldorf was formerly the site of a train station near the middle of old town.

Or maybe the Steamers or Iron Horses

Waldorf is now considered a suburb of Saint Charles.

Saints could work too

State nickname is "The Free State" and most of the state's team nickname are bird oriented.

Freebirds. Too Skynyrd?

Just ideas kicking around...

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

The Atlantic League is an independent baseball league that I would regard as the AAA of indy baseball. They're in three of the 5 major Northeast markets

New York City (Long Island & Newark)

Philadelphia (Camden & Lancaster)

Boston (Bridgeport, CT)

They lost the Nashua Pride (Boston area) to the Can-Am League. But they were last in attendance and rumors were that if they didn't jump ship they wouldn't be able to start the 2006 season.

The Charles County team expands them into the untapped Mid-Atlantic region and adds a presence in the Baltimore market.

They've had a lot of high profile players come through the league in the last few years:

Rickey Henderson

Jose Lima

Bill Pulsipher

Kevin Mitchell

John Rocker

It's a great league with potential to make some noise nationally. Especially if the idea behind the American Association takes off.

But the league needs a better logo and website: http://atlanticleague.com

The Atlantic League is an independent baseball league that I would regard as the AAA of indy baseball. They're in three of the 5 major Northeast markets

Philadelphia (Camden & Lancaster)

Boston (Bridgeport, CT)

They lost the Nashua Pride (Boston area) to the Can-Am League. But they were last in attendance and rumors were that if they didn't jump ship they wouldn't be able to start the 2006 season.

The Charles County team expands them into the untapped Mid-Atlantic region and adds a presence in the Baltimore market.

They've had a lot of high profile players come through the league in the last few years:

Rickey Henderson

Jose Lima

Bill Pulsipher

Kevin Mitchell

John Rocker

It's a great league with potential to make some noise nationally. Especially if the idea behind the American Association takes off.

But the league needs a better logo and website: http://atlanticleague.com

Boston (Bridgeport, CT)

Bite your toungue! Actually, Bridgeport is the fringe of the New York market... much closer to NYC than Boston, too. And you can take a half-hour ferry ride across the Sound to see the Long Island Ducks (or if you're a hockey fan, see the Sound Tigers' parent team, if you want to drive another hour to Nassau Coliseum).

As a Bridgeporter, this means one thing... No one wants to claim Bridgeport as theirs :P

Add Jose Canseco to that list though... I saw him play for Newark here in Bridgeport back in 2001 or 2002... you'd be amazed how many 40-something big-hair chicks in tied-up A's Canseco jerseys were in attendance. The ozone layer above Harbor Yard was replaced with Aqua Net for that homestand...

Bite your toungue! Actually, Bridgeport is the fringe of the New York market... much closer to NYC than Boston, too. And you can take a half-hour ferry ride across the Sound to see the Long Island Ducks (or if you're a hockey fan, see the Sound Tigers' parent team, if you want to drive another hour to Nassau Coliseum).

It doesn't take that long to get to Nassau Coliseum. From Levittown, it takes 10 minutes to get to Nassau Coliseum and 20-30 minutes to Central Islip, where the Ducks play. I love going to Ducks games. The atmosphere is great and it's really fun if you take a kid with you.

ny_mets.jpg

The Atlantic League is an independent baseball league that I would regard as the AAA of indy baseball.

Maybe of independent baseball, but that's a pretty narrow field. In objective terms, they're somewhere just below AA.

They're in three of the 5 major Northeast markets

Neither the Long Island Ducks nor the Newark Bears are in the NYC market in any meaningful sense. They don't get any television exposure, they don't have any advertisement presence, and they're not covered by the NYC media (with the single exception of some minor coverage in Newsday for the Ducks).

The Atlantic League wanted into the market. They tried to put a team in Brooklyn, but the NY-Penn League beat them to it. And given the choice of minor league ball, the city decided that it'd rather have farm clubs from the big teams than independent clubs. So the Atlantic League has positioned itself just outside the NYC market.

The Ducks did have several games televised last season. And for an independent league the Atlantic League is making huge progress. Especially considering the Golden League (California) is really pretty much stalled out, the Frontier League is six years out of being run out of a basement, and the Central & Northern Leagues got canibalized for the American Association.

The Ducks are also one of the top drawing teams outside of AAA baseball, infact, I think they're top three.

And Tim, that's a "My Bad, Dog" situation. My New England geography isn't what it should be.

Your Maryland geography needs a little work too. :P Charles County is south/southeast of Washington and is decidedly part of the Washington market (which is consistent with your point that the Atlantic League is looking to hit the fringes of big Northeastern markets). It is probably a 2 hour drive from Baltimore and hardly part of the Baltimore market.

As for the names proposed by Bleujayone, my favorites are:

Barons -- has a good ring to it and provides a nice historic tie-in.

Steamers -- plays off both the railroad and the Chesapeake Bay (which isn't really that far away -- the Chesapeake IceBreakers played just a few miles (15-20?) up the road in Upper Marlboro), through crabs and/or boats (so you could go in a couple of directions with the logo, etc.).

As for the others:

Freebirds -- definitely too Skynrd.

Saints -- I don't think St. Charles is so prominent that you would want to really on your proximity to name the team.

As for my input, I would like to see Blues or Clippers if they used the "Chesapeake" name. Otherwise, the only other historic tie-in would be to the tobacco farms that used to dominate Charles County. I suspect the owners will want to stay away from that. :P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The Ducks did have several games televised last season. 

In NYC? Where?

And even if they did, YES broadcasts a couple Penn State games every season. That doesn't mean the Nittany Lions are in the NYC market.

And for an independent league the Atlantic League is making huge progress.  Especially considering the Golden League (California) is really pretty much stalled out, the Frontier League is six years out of being run out of a basement, and the Central & Northern Leagues got canibalized for the American Association.

Oh, absolutely. I'm not trying to minimize what they've been able to do. I've even been to a Bluefish game, and loved it. I had a friend who worked for the Newark Bears a couple years ago. Good times.

I'm only disputing the notion that they somehow have teams in the major markets, including NYC - they don't. They're on the very fringes of the market, but not actually in the market itself.

The Atlantic League brings mid-level minor league baseball to communities not served by the affiliated minor leagues. That's fine enough.

Archived