Vince Young Bombs the Wonderlic

Cujo

Is it possible that Vince just :censored: the test because he knew he didn't really need it to get drafted in the NFL?

Nope.

the Onion article is funny precisely because teams are looking at Young just a little differently after his awful, then mediocre, scores. Teams value the test far too highly, IMO.

Sure, he'll get drafted regardless. But he may have cost himself a draft position or two, and he may have cost himself some money as well. If he blew that because "he knew he didn't really need it to get drafted in the NFL", then maybe that 6 was closer to the mark.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I scored 13 out of 15 in the ESPN sample exam, I'm half-asleep, and I don't consider myself altogether overly intelligent.

If he got 6 out of 50, he shouldn't be in the NFL, he should be on a street corner with a squeegie trying to hustle spare change.

I did similarly well in about 4 minutes.

However, over the weekend, I played some football with some friends, a really disorganized pickup game. I played 3 series at quarterback, threw for about 25% completion, no INTs, no TDs, against very variable competitors who are all equal or lesser football fans/athletes than I. Of the 16 people playing, I have an arm and accuracy that is better than all but one of the people playing.

Now, it's tough when your playing in the snow, with 7 receivers trying to create separation from 7 defenders in the time it takes a guy to run seven yards at you unblocked right off the snap.

However, I made bad decisions and bad reads. I didn't throw a pick, but we didn't go anywhere. I was replaced, and players with lesser skills than I played equally well.

This Wonderlic test is an excellent test of intelligence and quick thinking. I could probably, given reasonable time and training, master an NFL playbook fairly well. But that is something that can be taught with repetition and coaching.

Give me someone who can make quick, accurate reads on the fly and while scrambling to his left put a ball into the arms of a receiver 35 yards away in stride, inspiring confidence in his teammates and leading them to victory in pressure situations.

Remember Dan Marino? I've heard his Wonderlic wasn't exactly wonderful either. He turned out to be a pretty decent QB, or so I've heard.

Vince Young is a threat with his feet and arm, and perhaps more importantly, is a winner. If I'm the Tennessee Titans, especiially given the need for a McNair-successor, there's no question whom I choose.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

According to Casserly, many quarterbacks have struggled to adjust to the complicated offenses in the National Football League. He referred to the struggles of Chad Pennington, a Rhodes Scholar finalist at Marshall University who has underperformed in his six years in the NFL.

"The Jets couldn't get an actual Rhodes Scholar, and now they're paying the price for settling for a mere finalist," Casserly said. "We're glad that we can still avoid making that same mistake."

:lol:

Why is the Texans GM sticking up for this guy if they're keeping Carr and drafting Bush ... or are they??

You do understand the concept of "The Onion" right?

According to Casserly, many quarterbacks have struggled to adjust to the complicated offenses in the National Football League. He referred to the struggles of Chad Pennington, a Rhodes Scholar finalist at Marshall University who has underperformed in his six years in the NFL.

"The Jets couldn't get an actual Rhodes Scholar, and now they're paying the price for settling for a mere finalist," Casserly said. "We're glad that we can still avoid making that same mistake."

:lol:

Why is the Texans GM sticking up for this guy if they're keeping Carr and drafting Bush ... or are they??

You do understand the concept of "The Onion" right?

I get it... I was just touching on why the Texans GM cares if Houston is supposedly going after Bush. Casserly was metioned in the original post, the fact of him caring about Young's score just hit me after seeing the quote from The Onion.

6uXNWAo.png

Archived