Vince Young Bombs the Wonderlic

Cujo

G.M. disputes Young's Wonderlic score

Young reportedly got a six on the 50 question test, which grades intelligence and speed of thought. If that were the case, the Texas quarterback would have gotten one of the worst scores in history.

Since this came out, there are rumors as to wether Young's score a six or actually a sixteen. Young, the projected as a top two pick in the upcoming NFL Draft, has taken a hit because of his dreadful score, and now draft experts have his draft stock falling down to fifth, possibly further to the Lions at ninth overall. I'm not sure if this really should matter as far as his playing ability, but it does with on-field decison making, so I can understand him falling a bit.

Bottom line is, who scores a six?! Brutal.

6uXNWAo.png

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It makes you wonder if Vince Young is really that stupid, has a severe learning disability, or is just flat out illiterate. I would expect the University of Texas would be under fire regarding how a student-athlete could manage to go through a college system without somebody being well aware he wasn't learning anything. In any event he seems to be proof that if you excell at sports, your poor classroom performace can be swept under the carpet.

By the way (not that I think it would happen) but in theory couldn't the NCAA take away the National Championship Trophy from Texas on the grounds they've used academically ineligible player(s). Clearly if Young cannot read or do simple math, he could not possibly have been doing university-level classes. I would think Texas violated a plethora of rules if they allowed a student to come through their doors, made them a whole butt-load of money and free recruitment publicity, and then sent him on his way without so much as everyday functional skills much less a degree. And while none of these ideas are by any means news, I would think a school that clearly profitted at a student's expense would have a penalty to pay.

If I ruled the NCAA, I'd say that Texas would now have to take Young back and teach him classes free of charge until the day he's actulally earned a legitamate degree. If it takes them ten years worth of free classes to him, it still wouldn't be a drop in the bucket compared to all the money he made them.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

If you're a professional, er, collegiate athlete playing football or basketball at a Division I program, college isn't so much a learning institution as it is a holding tank. You pretend to study, they pretend to teach you, and in return, you get a chance to excel at what you *really* study while getting the red-carpet treatment beyond anything you ever received in high school. The university, meanwhile, gets away with not having to actually "pay" you while raking in all those millions of dollars in gate receipts, alumni endowments, and merchandising sales because of your talents. A tidy little arrangement, when you think about it. So, let's not feign shock and disgust when the best collegiate football player in the country bombs an intellectual exam. It's practically guaranteed that dumber jocks than him have made their way through campuses, and some, unlike Vince, probably have a sheepskin to their name.

Let me speak from experience here. During my brief time at the University of Illinois, I was in a speech class with Neil Rackers (yes, it's time to play "Six Degrees of NFL Placekickers.") Neil apparently had a learning disability. The only condition of his disability was that he had to take all exams after the rest of the class had already done so. And Neil's exams had to be taken in a room without any form of supervision. Oh, and taking the class alongside Mr. Rackers was a member of the Illini Football recruitment team. That team, from my observations around campus, seemed to be mainly comprised of attractive women with a penchant for a slight excess of makeup. (I'm sure many of them have jobs in PR or sales by now.) Connect all that info together in whatever manner you see fit. It was that experience that taught me how much could be done for a college athlete by a school without even scraping the surface of NCAA violation territory.

Now, I realize that I'm painting with a broad brush here, and there most definitely are exceptions to the rule. There are first-rate collegiate athletes out there who pull GPAs beyond my wildest dreams in majors that would make my brain collapse into a black hole. The fact that they do this while maintaining the grueling year-round training schedule of a collegiate sport is fricking unbelievable. But for every one of those, there are probably 10 Vince Youngs to fill out the side.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

New Mexico must be on Three Days Ago Standard Time

I would say this story actually broke about five or six days ago, but it's still a hot topic in the sports community and has yet to be discussed in the forums. Feel free to give an actual take on it anytime, hoss.

6uXNWAo.png

I don't know that 16 is anything to celebrate any more than 6 is; both are something to ridicule. These are questions that you should be able to answer long before enrolling in a 4-year university. This is high school math and reading, not even as tough as the SAT or ACT. While UT should be ripped for VY's poor score (and 16 out of 50 is still 32%, which is an F grade at ANY school in the world), why aren't the other people complicit in this - his parents, his high school, his grade school, and VY himself - being castigated? It baffles me that an American can graduate high school in this country and attend college today without knowledge of basic math or English vocabulary.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Austin, of course.

Man, oh man. A 6 out of 50 is just so horrific that it would make a high school drop out who is working at Burger King look good.

Now, let's see if he has any excuses for failing that test. Of course, I shall say that the dog ate the cheat sheet. :P

Β 

Man, oh man. A 6 out of 50 is just so horrific that it would make a high school drop out who is working at Burger King look good.

Kinda makes you wonder how he made it through three years of school at UT-Austin.

6uXNWAo.png

Kinda makes you wonder how he made it through three years of school at UT-Austin.

Not only make it through, but stay eligible that whole time. Also, if he really did score this low, how in the heck did he ever get accepted to UT in the first place? (And yes I know that his athletic ability had something to do with both issues) But who knows. No one is for sure if that score is accurate anyways. I have heard they are having Vince, along with the fellow UT players who took the test in the same group. Which also smells a little fishy.

PopHeading-1.gif

What is the capitol of Texas?

The capitol of Texas is the big building where the Texas state House and Senate meet.

The capital of Texas is Austin.

And personally, I've been to 14 state capitals and have been inside three state capitols.

The capitol of Texas is the big building where the Texas state House and Senate meet.

And personally, I've been to 14 state capitals and have been inside three state capitols.

*SMACK*

Zing. And correct to boot. Well played - you must've gotten at least a 7 on your Wonderlic, that's beyond college smartitude...

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

(bow)(bow):notworthy:

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I really do think this might hurt him. If he had just scored low maybe not be he has other knocks against him. For one thing his mechanics are poor, he runs too much, he barely if ever played under center in college. If I was a GM I would be iffy to take him with the first few picks. I would certaintly take Lienart over Young.

He's not really taking a fall when you consider he was originally projected as a 9th or 10th pick in the draft. Sure he shot up a bit after the Rose Bowl but that was 1 game against a terrible defense by college standards. Now that time has worn off you are seeing him drop back done to that 9th or 10th spot where he started.

I'm not really surprised. After the Ryan Leaf failure GM's are going to be cautious of selecting games who's stock is rising off a single bowl game.

Archived