Ohio State football rumor...

02Rover

.... on another message board, the rumor was that Ohio State was going to change to the new, nike style bib-like uniforms last year, but the players voted the jerseys down. They did wear the newer technology pants, which were lighter and easier to run in.

But I am hearing that the Buckeyes will be wearing the new jerseys this year. The new style, of course, is the kind that Georgoa, Michigan, Miami, Virginia Tech and others wore this past season. Its a duller looking, but more snugly fit and supposedly a better material, all together. I was told that the classic look of Ohio State's uniforms wont be compromised thru this change.

Any one confirm or deny this rumor, definitively?

Can't confirm, but have heard the same things, especially regarding the tighter fit jerseys. Have heard rumbles of matching jersey/pant stripes, adding piping, and moving the TV numbers (unlikely, according to the source). I don't know if the team was considering changing prior to the 2005 season.

I love that new jersey cut. The materials and cut make it look really crisp and neat. I would really love to see matching jersey, helmet and pant stripes on the Buckeyes. Those Cris Carter-era jerseys are hot.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

If they don't put the piping on, like on the Michigan home jerseys, I don't think anyone is going to have a problem with it, but if the bib piping shows up, there might be a revolt from Buckeye nation. If they add gray bib piping to the away white jerseys, that might not look bad, but if they do ANY to the home red jerseys... :shocked:

If the Buckeyes make the change with tradition in mind (as Michigan did), then there shouldn't be a revolt.

That said, the ONLY changes I'd ever like to see from Ohio State is to ditch the trend from grey to silver and accentuate their true school colour. The Bucks' uniforms are classics.

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

I was told that the classic look of Ohio State's uniforms wont be compromised thru this change.

Hopefully Nike does not make Ohio State look like the bastard child of the Miami uniforms.

The OSU jersey is a classic and a technological update should not be a problem, as long as there are not changes to the original design.

Go Bucks! Chris Wells is comming!

ESPNUAkron.jpg2002-2006 ALUMNI 2007-2009 ESPNUSeton.jpg

If the Buckeyes make the change with tradition in mind (as Michigan did), then there shouldn't be a revolt.

That said, the ONLY changes I'd ever like to see from Ohio State is to ditch the trend from grey to silver and accentuate their true school colour. The Bucks' uniforms are classics.

I doubt OSU would compromise their classic look. Same with UM, we did our update in a classy manner. I love the new unis.

spikes.jpg

They do need to make the gray pants darker. They look like dirty white pants in the bright sun.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The only thing I've found strange about all the updated uniforms is how the back numbers are no longer bigger than the front, but the same size. This makes them look kinda like a crappy NFL Equipment replica jersey. Also in some cases the numbers seem to stretch too much and really get distorted, but other than that I like the new jersey cut.

I wish OSU would go back to having the ridiculously oversized shoulder numbers. Those uniforms were sweet.

offensive6.jpg

Agreed, I love the Eddie George-era unis.

As for the person that said they need to match the jersey and pant stripes, no they dont. Why?? They look nearly flawless as it is.

That jersey stripe, the "Buckeye Stripe", as Woody called it, is timeless and it was a shame they took it off in the 80's when they did.

Im glad its back and dont want it to go anywhere and Im sure 99% of the Buckeye nation feels the same way.

ps. No piping. Michigan caved and ruined thier unis with the piping. Ohio State wont do that.

Agreed, I love the Eddie George-era unis.

As for the person that said they need to match the jersey and pant stripes, no they dont.  Why??  They look nearly flawless as it is.

That jersey stripe, the "Buckeye Stripe", as Woody called it, is timeless and it was a shame they took it off in the 80's when they did.

Im glad its back and dont want it to go anywhere and Im sure 99% of the Buckeye nation feels the same way.

ps.  No piping.  Michigan caved and ruined thier unis with the piping.  Ohio State wont do that.

I agree. The OSU uniforms are awesome. The only minor changes I would like to see are mentioned above. Matching stripes is dumb. As for Michigan, I think there's a big difference between Michigan and OSU. While our home uniforms are classic, and the best look in sports, we've never had the continuity between the two like OSU does. OSU has a good look that can transition into a nice road uni. We've always had 2 different sets. I think the current road set, with piping, is the best we've ever had. The piping is subtle enough being maize on white in that it fits just right. We've also never had the numbers pop out as well as they do now.

75_2.JPG

howard.jpg

psdn1.jpg

s002-manninghamsapsub3-1005y_10-02-2005_9I8SHMV.jpg

20.jpg

spikes.jpg

I respectfully disagree. Matching stripes is better described as 'good design' than it is 'dumb.' Sure, the jerseys look flawless, just not with the pants and helmet. :P I'd rather see the 80s jerseys or plain scarlet and plain white jerseys. A plain jersey would work well because the stripes on the helmet and the pants have enough visual weight to carry the uniform. The jersey doesn't need stripes, but if they are there, I'd rather see them in the same style as the other major elements of the uniform as opposed to a style completely different from the rest of the uniform. I guess I'm part of the 1% of Buckeye Nation that doesn't like the Buckeye Stripe, which is not Woody Hayes' original idea, by the way. Rather than looking timeless, it just looks more and more dated as jersey cuts get smaller and smaller. I love the oversized numbers, though, just not the belly shirts. :D

I agree with most of the posters to this thread. OSU's uniforms (like my beloved Michigan) are classic.

I hope if they do the update, they keep the home all scarlet (like Michigan did and stayed all blue with no other piping) and put a grey piping on the road.

Is its college football season yet??? :P

Archived