Odd Russian Hockey jeresy

spyboy1

gentlemen, gentlemen, come to the source. I designed that jersey and I am very pleased to hear all the positive comments about it. My personal favorite of the '98 series that unfortunately never made the ice. We had gotten so far into the process that yes we had released replicas and authentics at retail. If my memory is correct we only did replicas blank, the authentics got the name and numbers. The real story is that we came within weeks of the olympics and then a top

ranking official in russian hockey (the guy who approved everything) mysteriously died, ie: "assasisanated". Next thing we know we get a call and they no longer want the jersey and we scramble to try and revise it, strip it down etc...and finally run out of time and have to settle with giving them the '96 World Cup jerseys since we have stock and could easily produce them again.

I never really heard the "too Soviet" complaint, we just heard "he's dead and we don't want it now".

As for the design inspiration, I did want it to harken back to the old Canada-Sovier Series of the 1970's, since it would be the first time NHL'ers were playing and I wanted to stir up the emotion,

by playing up the red but softening it with the addition of shades of crimson and cream, not stark white. The tetris blocks actually mimic the beveled pattern on the domes of St. Basial cathedral in Red Square. The number font was chosen since it emulated the ones used by the Russian in the early '70's on their wool unis. I have some lineart files around here somewhere, I'll try to track them down and post them to show what the whole set would have looked like. The pants were supposed to be the darkest red (maroon) color with red socks. I still think it's a beautiful jersey

and would hold up well today.

I have a couple versions of these and funny that I almost wore one to the Wild game tuesday night, but I went with my Whalers jersey instead.

I'd sure love to see more pictures of this set. I assume the choice of one color numbers was also a nod to the early 70's style?

ebod39, thanks for sharing the story about your involvement with this design. This jersey is really starting to become a conversation piece and an even more important part of my collection. I may have to have you sign it like a painter signs his work! :hockeysmiley:

Perhaps it's time we here in the Twin Cities finally do that meet -n- greet we've talked about. I think I owe you a beer for that story...

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

gentlemen, gentlemen, come to the source. I designed that jersey and I am very pleased to hear all the positive comments about it. My personal favorite of the '98 series that unfortunately never made the ice. We had gotten so far into the process that yes we had released replicas and authentics at retail. If my memory is correct we only did replicas blank, the authentics got the name and numbers. The real story is that we came within weeks of the olympics and then a top

ranking official in russian hockey (the guy who approved everything) mysteriously died, ie: "assasisanated". Next thing we know we get a call and they no longer want the jersey and we scramble to try and revise it, strip it down etc...and finally run out of time and have to settle with giving them the '96 World Cup jerseys since we have stock and could easily produce them again.

I never really heard the "too Soviet" complaint, we just heard "he's dead and we don't want it now".

As for the design inspiration, I did want it to harken back to the old Canada-Sovier Series of the 1970's, since it would be the first time NHL'ers were playing and I wanted to stir up the emotion,

by playing up the red but softening it with the addition of shades of crimson and cream, not stark white. The tetris blocks actually mimic the beveled pattern on the domes of St. Basial cathedral in Red Square. The number font was chosen since it emulated the ones used by the Russian in the early '70's on their wool unis. I have some lineart files around here somewhere, I'll try to track them down and post them to show what the whole set would have looked like. The pants were supposed to be the darkest red (maroon) color with red socks. I still think it's a beautiful jersey

and would hold up well today.

I have a couple versions of these and funny that I almost wore one to the Wild game tuesday night, but I went with my Whalers jersey instead.

I'd sure love to see more pictures of this set. I assume the choice of one color numbers was also a nod to the early 70's style?

ebod39, thanks for sharing the story about your involvement with this design. This jersey is really starting to become a conversation piece and an even more important part of my collection. I may have to have you sign it like a painter signs his work! :hockeysmiley:

Perhaps it's time we here in the Twin Cities finally do that meet -n- greet we've talked about. I think I owe you a beer for that story...

JeffB

yeh, the Twin Cities contingency needs to get together. I'd love to have

folks over to my house. It's a bit chaotic still having moved in recently

but I've got a bunch jerseys and my original sketches we can look at and

just have some open discussions.

Let me look at my calendar and figure out what might work.

I am thinking a weekend night perhaps?

I'm getting errors on these links

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

yeh, the Twin Cities contingency needs to get together. I'd love to have

folks over to my house. It's a bit chaotic still having moved in recently

but I've got a bunch jerseys and my original sketches we can look at and

just have some open discussions.

Let me look at my calendar and figure out what might work.

I am thinking a weekend night perhaps?

I'm up for that and I'm sure a few others would be too from the discussion we had on a different thread when someone was moving to the area.

We should either PM each other or start a thread about a meeting so we can pick a date.

I like the idea of seeing your jeresey and sketches. I have a few jerseys I could bring over as well.

By the way, I got my Russian jersey in the mail this week. For a medium, the fit is not bad, but I could use an extra inch in the width that it was claimed to have. :mad: A large would serve me better, but with this jersey being as scarce as it is, one cannot complain too much I guess...

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

...my Mac...

Houston, I think we've found the problem.

:D

I thought that would be other way around.

I've posted before and had no problems with photobucket from my home mac.

When I checked the account on a PC the images were not showing up. Now at home

on a Mac they're there. Me no understand compooturz.

Archived