Odd Russian Hockey jeresy

spyboy1

Was this the one they scrapped because it looked "too Soviet?"

I think it looks like Tetris blocks going down the sleeves.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I have one, personalized w/ Fedorov, #91. I still love this jersey, it's one of my favorites.

Russia01.jpg

Russia02.jpg

I got it at a store in Manhattan (it may have been in MSG) in the summer of '98, I think. Glad I bought it, cause I've never seen one since.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Does anyone know when this was worn? I've never seen this style before.

Is it legit?

RussiaDiamonds.jpg

JeffB

Notice the sizing - it's a Medium while the personalized Federov was a 56. Does this mean this one is a replica?

Bingo.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Does anyone know when this was worn? I've never seen this style before.

Is it legit?

RussiaDiamonds.jpg

JeffB

Notice the sizing - it's a Medium while the personalized Federov was a 56. Does this mean this one is a replica?

or could it be replica vs authentic?

thats what I thought of, maybe i'm wrong.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

I have one, personalized w/ Fedorov, #91.  I still love this jersey, it's one of my favorites.

Russia01.jpg

Russia02.jpg

I got it at a store in Manhattan (it may have been in MSG) in the summer of '98, I think.  Glad I bought it, cause I've never seen one since.

Did they ever wear this in exhibition games or other tournaments leading up to the 98 Olympics?

I guess what I'd like to know is how did you choose that number font for the jersey? It sure seems like it would have been a bit of an unusual font for 98.

I'd love to see any photos of it in action if there is such a thing.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I have one, personalized w/ Fedorov, #91.  I still love this jersey, it's one of my favorites.

Russia01.jpg

Russia02.jpg

I got it at a store in Manhattan (it may have been in MSG) in the summer of '98, I think.  Glad I bought it, cause I've never seen one since.

Did they ever wear this in exhibition games or other tournaments leading up to the 98 Olympics?

I guess what I'd like to know is how did you choose that number font for the jersey? It sure seems like it would have been a bit of an unusual font for 98.

I'd love to see any photos of it in action if there is such a thing.

JeffB

It was customized when I bought it.

Since the consensus seems to be that they never wore this style, I'm not sure how the font was chosen.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

It was customized when I bought it.

Since the consensus seems to be that they never wore this style, I'm not sure how the font was chosen.

Thanks for the reply. If that's the way Nike made them, then that must be what they had planned for the team to wear, when and if they hit the ice in that style.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

gentlemen, gentlemen, come to the source. I designed that jersey and I am very pleased to hear all the positive comments about it. My personal favorite of the '98 series that unfortunately never made the ice. We had gotten so far into the process that yes we had released replicas and authentics at retail. If my memory is correct we only did replicas blank, the authentics got the name and numbers. The real story is that we came within weeks of the olympics and then a top

ranking official in russian hockey (the guy who approved everything) mysteriously died, ie: "assasisanated". Next thing we know we get a call and they no longer want the jersey and we scramble to try and revise it, strip it down etc...and finally run out of time and have to settle with giving them the '96 World Cup jerseys since we have stock and could easily produce them again.

I never really heard the "too Soviet" complaint, we just heard "he's dead and we don't want it now".

As for the design inspiration, I did want it to harken back to the old Canada-Sovier Series of the 1970's, since it would be the first time NHL'ers were playing and I wanted to stir up the emotion,

by playing up the red but softening it with the addition of shades of crimson and cream, not stark white. The tetris blocks actually mimic the beveled pattern on the domes of St. Basial cathedral in Red Square. The number font was chosen since it emulated the ones used by the Russian in the early '70's on their wool unis. I have some lineart files around here somewhere, I'll try to track them down and post them to show what the whole set would have looked like. The pants were supposed to be the darkest red (maroon) color with red socks. I still think it's a beautiful jersey

and would hold up well today.

I have a couple versions of these and funny that I almost wore one to the Wild game tuesday night, but I went with my Whalers jersey instead.

gentlemen, gentlemen, come to the source. I designed that jersey and I am very pleased to hear all the positive comments about it. My personal favorite of the '98 series that unfortunately never made the ice. We had gotten so far into the process that yes we had released replicas and authentics at retail. If my memory is correct we only did replicas blank, the authentics got the name and numbers. The real story is that we came within weeks of the olympics and then a top

ranking official in russian hockey (the guy who approved everything) mysteriously died, ie: "assasisanated". Next thing we know we get a call and they no longer want the jersey and we scramble to try and revise it, strip it down etc...and finally run out of time and have to settle with giving them the '96 World Cup jerseys since we have stock and could easily produce them again.

I never really heard the "too Soviet" complaint, we just heard "he's dead and we don't want it now".

As for the design inspiration, I did want it to harken back to the old Canada-Sovier Series of the 1970's, since it would be the first time NHL'ers were playing and I wanted to stir up the emotion,

by playing up the red but softening it with the addition of shades of crimson and cream, not stark white. The tetris blocks actually mimic the beveled pattern on the domes of St. Basial cathedral in Red Square. The number font was chosen since it emulated the ones used by the Russian in the early '70's on their wool unis. I have some lineart files around here somewhere, I'll try to track them down and post them to show what the whole set would have looked like. The pants were supposed to be the darkest red (maroon) color with red socks. I still think it's a beautiful jersey

I have a couple versions of these and funny that I almost wore one to the Wild game tuesday night, but I went with my Whalers jersey instead.

Don't know where I can get one of those jerseys do you? I'd love to have one, and I dont know what I'd type into Ebay to find that specific one besides "Team Russia Jersey".

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Thanks for that information, very interesting. I remember hearing about the Russian guy dying (single car accident, I believe was the official story).

Sounds like you had a great idea with the design, a shame it never made the ice.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived