Feedback requested

andrewharrington

All right, the idea is to become incorporated as a self-operated business. I don't really have a rabid client base yet, so I am exploring many possibilities for a name and visual identity. These are the five I like best, and you can see a sample of the mark and some typographical style. I'd like some feedback on which of these you feel has the strongest presence and the most potential forf a self-operated business slash freelancer portfolio.

Tempest (Trade Gothic, Adobe Garamond)

PRO

Don't have to change much. A pretty unique name (there's only one similarly named design entity I've found). Simple logo with a comforting and protective undertone. Very clean and legible.

CON

Name may not easily attach itself to design, and some may not perceive name in a design sense (tempest > violent storm > brainstorm). Some have difficulty pronouncing the name.

Constant (Adobe Garamond)

PRO

Unique name. Greek letters double as roman characters. The logo is pi, the most famous constant in mathematics lore. Very elegant and legible. Lots of naming possibilities.

CON

Not terribly exciting from a color or design standpoint; nice looking, but kind of static.

Merge (Interstate)

PRO

Great iconic logo (road sign with two merge icons forming an M). Very bold, compact and exciting. Lots of naming possibilities and very marketable. Interstate font mimics road sign lettering and yellow is genuine warning sign color, making it authentic, yet whimsical.

CON

Name is not very unique; Merge is a popular name for design firms, groups and corporations.

Transit (Custom, Helvetica Neue)

PRO

Extremely unique name. Big, bold custom text logo with an upward/forward-pointing arrow taking the place of the T. Deep, dual greens give it undertones of growth, fertility, healing and success. Exceptionally clean and modern.

CON

Could be too hard to read. Name may not attach itself to design. May be so clean and modern that it seems cold or impersonal.

The Drawing Board (Helvetica Neue)

PRO

Clever name, alluding to "back to the drawing board" quote. Clean, simple and classy text logo.

CON

Not a very unique name, and not a terribly exciting identity.

choices.png

I could also simply use my name and call my business, "The Desk of Andrew Harrington" or "The Office of Andrew Harrington." If you have any feedback on that topic, feel free to chime in as well. So, there you have my thoughts. Feel free to drop your own opinions so I can utilize them in making the right decision. I really appreciate it.

Andrew

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

in my opinion, i think you should go with tempest - it's the most original name in the lot and that sets you apart - especially if you add something like "design house" or "design studio" or just even "design" after it. i LOVE the umbrella/t logo - it's fantastically simple, visually dynamic, and from a print standpoint, cheap to do. it's a classic stand-alone logo or it fits perfectly with a wordmark. you can play with as many colors as you like with that logo and it will look good in anything. the other names, while clever, don't really lend themselves to design, and the tempest/storm motif going to brainstorms is the best mental connection you have. Constant is too vague, and merge/transit sound like you're in the transportation/trucking industry. the drawing board is a little too cute for my taste. the only thing i would do would be to change your secondary type font for Tempest to something sans-serifed. again, that logo/identity is perfect, and can be easily refreshed simply with a new color scheme. stick with it, it's definitely your best.

OD_Signature.jpg

I like "tempest" best of all. All the other names try to hard to be design-oriented. I like the fact that you name has nothing to do with what you do, a little obscurity is not a bad thing (look at Pentagram design, for example).

Your icon is perfect. An umbrella, which shields you from a storm, shaped like a T. A great dynamic that's easy to remember. And I don't think you're going to get confused with the Travelers or Citi.

I think that for legibility's sake, you could use trade gothic for the address/phone info. It would show up a little better and tie in more with your logo, without distracting from it (try Trade Gothic regular instead of bold). On screen, the Garamond is very light.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

i agree that tempest is the best, and cleanest looking of the bunch.

and the most unique name. stick with it. great icon, great identity.

if someone can't pronounce 'tempest', you don't want them as a client.

All the logos look great. All the identities look great. But as far as a name, I think you can't go wrong with tempest. The others get lost in the crowd to me. But tempest is something stands out a bit and its not trendy or anything. It'll stand the test of time. (personally I don't think you can go wrong with just your name cause, that will never change. But "Stratigery: A design studio" could grow old fast.

Plus, pick something and stick with it. Its all about branding no matter how big or small your business is. Clients need to find you, and if its 2 years later and you changed your name (again) you could be out some work. This isn't for Andrew as much as it is for everyone else. Perhaps there is a client you did work for a year ago, and you forgot about them. Haven't kept in touch too much, then they are starting a new business, or their brother is. They remembered "Tempest" but nothing else. Well now you are Merge, they have no clue how to get in touch with you.

Btw, I wish I knew fonts/typography as good as some of you guys. Did you know I didn't have to take a typography course to graduate with a BA in Graphic Design? Did you know it wasn't even offered cause I WANTED to take one. If you have any book recomondations so I can pick up some slack, let me know. Sorry to hijack, but I know Andrew is all about teaching so I'm sure he won't mind. :D

If you're looking for history and evolution:

ANATOMY OF A TYPEFACE

by Alexander Lawson

If you're looking for a big-ass collection:

THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF FONTS

by Gwin Headley

If you're looking for awesome typesetting guides:

THINKING WITH TYPE

by Ellen Lupton

THE COMPLETE MANUAL OF TYPOGRAPHY

by James Felici

Get 'em used from Amazon and save some money. Also if you buy something from [www.linotype.com] you are eligible for a free poster set that has like 6 HUGE POSTERS that display all the fonts in the Linotype collection. Great tool.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

bumping this having seen andrew's update to the tempest logo.

i see you saw what i had to say about refeshing the logo with a new color scheme. I like this shade of gold, but I really preferred the darker grey. the gold is a bit too flashy for my taste, but like i said, it's a nice color.

in your signature, i really like the skyline that you did, but i'm not really sure what that has to do with a tempest. maybe you could have the skyline being illuminated by lightning from a storm? something that connects it more to your name.

my only other comment is on your tagline. it's original, and it sounds good, but something comes to my mind. if your visual services are for the common man, what about other people? what about the design industry professionals you would do design for? i think the tagline limits the scope of your audience. also, we design guys understand what visual services are, but to average joe blow, that may not say the same thing as graphic design. i prefer visual services to graphic design (or similar) because it is used less often. again, similar to the skyline, maybe your tagline should reflect the idea that your name, tempest, is referring to a brainstorm of ideas - you could even do an ad where you have your t/umbrella logo covering a brain during a storm - its really literal, but i think people would get the message B) .

anyway, what do other people think? if you think i'm off the wall, hey ignore what i have to say...just some opinions, ideas, and suggestions. feel free to take 'em or leave 'em ^_^

OD_Signature.jpg

yeah, "visual services for the common man" struck me odd too.

maybe a play on this part from "the tempest"

the tempest in my mind

doth from my senses there

filial ingratitude!

is it not as this mouth should tear this hand

for lifting food to it?

but I will punish home.

no, i will weep no more.

in such a night

to shut me out! pour on!

i will endure.

in such a night as this!

i like the "enduring" theme....i think it fits.

billy shake's the bomb, yo!

I have a whole suitcase full of whimsical taglines and blurbs that I will use for self-promotion. An excerpt from one of my blurbs is similarly odd: "Your visual identity is like a shiny lure in a sea of potential customers." I don't want to appear stone-faced and impersonal, like design is life or death. It's not. It's creative expression just like any other fine art. I love it and I have fun doing it, and the new identity reflects that. Sandstrom Design has a great whimsical theme going on its website, but it's a little difficult to navigate until you get the hang of it.

The new identity is sophisticated in its appearance, yet it is fun and whimsical in its content. I chose a lively but unique color so people would notice it, and I guess it worked. :P The use of Adobe Garamond achieves the refined look I'm after, plus it's ultra-legible, but I'm not solid on that yet. I did lots of social and marketing research on color perception. Grey is neutral, uncommited and uncertain to people. Yellow/orange is joyful, creative, intellectual, invigorating, unique and energetic.

As for the cityscape, I plan on adding stormy elements to it. I just wanted to get it up and running. It's not about what I do, but about where I'm from. It's the roots. You can't tell at this resolution, but it's the Cleveland skyline. It will be better on a business card or other promotional card, and people in the area where I'm going to be placing the promos, the targeted demographic, will instantly recognize it, which is what's important.

I like using Shakespeare as a reference. I've always meant to do it but never found the time to go re-read it and find good quotes. One thing I like to do is use imagery from famous paintings with the tempest name or theme.

i noticed that the skyline was where you were from - i should have mentioned that. It's a really cool idea, and its *very* well rendered - and i'm glad to hear you'll be adding the storm elements eventually.

i like that you researched the new color - i guess i'm just not used to seeing it yet, but it'll grow on me :D

i'm excited to see the progressions you make with the newest version of your tempest identity - it's definitely a winner

OD_Signature.jpg

As for the cityscape, I plan on adding stormy elements to it. I just wanted to get it up and running. It's not about what I do, but about where I'm from. It's the roots. You can't tell at this resolution, but it's the Cleveland skyline. It will be better on a business card or other promotional card, and people in the area where I'm going to be placing the promos, the targeted demographic, will instantly recognize it, which is what's important.

i thought that skyline looked familiar....i can see it from a hill just 5 minutes from my house lol. a fellow clevelander. lol.

as for the names and such. tempest is great. ever since i've joined the boards i have like that name the most. its simple. thats probably why. the new color scheme is nice too. hope all goes well with ur business

I'm no design pro but I have to add support for the tempest identity to continue.

Everytime I see one of your posts on the board that umbrella-T image pops into my head. It's developed a strong association, and I'm sure I'm not the only one it does that for.

liverpool-1.png

Archived