NBA possibly back to Vancouver?

randyc

I dont know if this will ever happen, there are cities ahead of Vancouver on the wait list, and it was such a failure there, part of the problem I think is Seattle and how close it is to Vancouver, perhaps if teh Sonics waltzed across the border that would work but I see at least a generation before Vancouver is tried again otherwise.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Yeah, the NBA was a failure in Vancouver, but I think that if they actually got some talent, and if that selfish, immature punk Steve Francis signed with the Grizzlies, then maybe they would still be in Vancouver today. They would have had Francis, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, and Mike Bibby. Oh yeah and if the NBA didn't have that rule where Vancouver couldn't have the #1 pick maybe they could have gotten Tim Duncan. Then, the lockout happened and they had a terrible team. So I think that maybe if the NBA does go back to Vancouver, it could be a success.

The Vancouver Grizzlies were one of the worst run teams I've ever seen. Besides the fact that their players didn't pan out, they did a very poor job trying to promote the team. Yes, Vancouver is a major hockeytown, Yes, it's just down the road from Seattle, but really that's not an excuse. I've seen NBA teams that have stunk up the court for years and still managed to have a good fan base because they treated it like a business first. If you promote a team right, you'll do well at the bank. Basketball is popular enough in Vancouver that a team with the right persons at the helm would do well.

Things that a new NBA Vancouver team would need to do;

1. Give up a few first round picks to get Steve Nash. (and to think that the Vancouver Grizzlies actually had a chance to draft him) Nash grew up in the Victoria, BC area, went to school at St. Michael's, is a damn good player, and is more of a sure thing than picking up a few unknowns. Would he cost alot? Yep. Would he be worth it? Un-huh. I would also consider looking at other Candians in the NBA to trade or draft for. Get a local-hero flavor to the team. In addition I would also consider getting another Chinese national player as Vancouver has the 2nd largest Chinatown section in North America behind San Francisco.

2. Try forming a sports alliance with Canucks & Lions. Many other cities with multiple sports teams have formed alliances for joint promotions, deferred costs in advertising and making accessablity for fans easier by working together and not comperting with one another. One team might mention the other in their promos, but when that team has game night at home, all attention is then on them.

3. Don't try to pick an identity that's faux-trendy. (and no teal for colors)

Some suggestions;

Griffins- a play on the address on the GM Place arena- 800 Griffiths Way.

Thunderbirds- Native American moniker plus like Seatt;e it rains all the time

Cougars- kinda rhymes with the city. Keeps with the mountian lion theme

Gulls- God knows there's enough of them in Vancouver.

Bigfoot- Local legend. Tall, hairy, man-like beastie with big feet...hmm

Knights- Another pun on the identity of the city.

Reapers- Well,...it IS called the Terminal City after all

Cannons- Named after the 9 O'Clock Gun

4. Special "All-Canada" Home & Home series versus Toronto. Maybe with special uniforms that look like the city flags too. :flagcanada:

5. Create some heated rivalries between Seattle, Sacramento, Utah, and Golden State. Fabricate it at first if you have to.

6. Get somebody to run the front office who actually knows what they're doing. If the Grizzlies had hired Jerry West BEFORE they had to move, they'd be a better team and would still be there right now.

7. One should also try to promote the team outside of the city. Consider sacrificing a couple of home games and play in a few other cities such as Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria, or Regina. If that's out of the question than at least do so durring pre-season.

8. Promotion, promotion, promotion. - Billboards, crazy radio ads, weekly local TV shows, team visits to the hospital children's ward, really cheap tickets nights, free autograph signings, whatever has to be done to get butts in the seats and eyeballs on the screens.

9. Lobby to be a future site for the NBA All-Star game.

10. Remember that there is no off-season for promotions. Even when the team is between seasons, on the road, or out of the play-offs. Promotions must go on.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

The Vancouver Grizzlies were one of the worst run teams I've ever seen. Besides the fact that their players didn't pan out, they did a very poor job trying to promote the team. Yes, Vancouver is a major hockeytown, Yes, it's just down the road from Seattle, but really that's not an excuse. I've seen NBA teams that have stunk up the court for years and still managed to have a good fan base because they treated it like a business first. If you promote a team right, you'll do well at the bank. Basketball is popular enough in Vancouver that a team with the right persons at the helm would do well.

Things that a new NBA Vancouver team would need to do;

1. Give up a few first round picks to get Steve Nash. (and to think that the Vancouver Grizzlies actually had a chance to draft him) Nash grew up in the Victoria, BC area, went to school at St. Michael's, is a damn good player, and is more of a sure thing than picking up a few unknowns. Would he cost alot? Yep. Would he be worth it? Un-huh. I would also consider looking at other Candians in the NBA to trade or draft for. Get a local-hero flavor to the team. In addition I would also consider getting another Chinese national player as Vancouver has the 2nd largest Chinatown section in North America behind San Francisco.

2. Try forming a sports alliance with Canucks & Lions. Many other cities with multiple sports teams have formed alliances for joint promotions, deferred costs in advertising and making accessablity for fans easier by working together and not comperting with one another. One team might mention the other in their promos, but when that team has game night at home, all attention is then on them.

3. Don't try to pick an identity that's faux-trendy. (and no teal for colors)

Some suggestions;

Griffins- a play on the address on the GM Place arena- 800 Griffiths Way.

Thunderbirds- Native American moniker plus like Seatt;e it rains all the time

Cougars- kinda rhymes with the city. Keeps with the mountian lion theme

Gulls- God knows there's enough of them in Vancouver.

Bigfoot- Local legend. Tall, hairy, man-like beastie with big feet...hmm

Knights- Another pun on the identity of the city.

Reapers- Well,...it IS called the Terminal City after all

Cannons- Named after the 9 O'Clock Gun

4. Special "All-Canada" Home & Home series versus Toronto. Maybe with special uniforms that look like the city flags too. :flagcanada:

5. Create some heated rivalries between Seattle, Sacramento, Utah, and Golden State. Fabricate it at first if you have to.

6. Get somebody to run the front office who actually knows what they're doing. If the Grizzlies had hired Jerry West BEFORE they had to move, they'd be a better team and would still be there right now.

7. One should also try to promote the team outside of the city. Consider sacrificing a couple of home games and play in a few other cities such as Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria, or Regina. If that's out of the question than at least do so durring pre-season.

8. Promotion, promotion, promotion. - Billboards, crazy radio ads, weekly local TV shows, team visits to the hospital children's ward, really cheap tickets nights, free autograph signings, whatever has to be done to get butts in the seats and eyeballs on the screens.

9. Lobby to be a future site for the NBA All-Star game.

10. Remember that there is no off-season for promotions. Even when the team is between seasons, on the road, or out of the play-offs. Promotions must go on.

These are some really good ideas here. A major reason the Grizzlies failed was because their management was atrocious! The BIG mistake was not drafting hometown hero, Steve Nash. Nash would've filled up the arena every single game, and their would be such a fan support for him. If Vancouver could've built a team around him they could've been as successful as Dallas or Phoenix. Unfortunately they did not draft him and instead they drafted Francis who left the second he was drafted. The Grizzlies management is easily THE WORST I've ever seen and if indeed the NBA comes back to Vancouver, we HAVE to get a good owner and a solid management crew, or else this team will end up just as bad as the last which will blacklist Vancouver from ever taking control of an NBA team again.

Archived