Help Name New Chicago UHL Team

Patchez

All of those are terrible. I nominate the Northwest Chicagoland Mallrats. By the way, does Hoffman Estates REALLY need its own arena? I heard Prospect Heights wants to build one out on the expressway portion of Palatine Road.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah, all these names suck hardcore. If anything, they should name them the U-Hauls.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Why do you need our phone number?

To sell you tickets. <_<

Bad crop of names-to go with the "inspired" names for the Bloomington team. I think Hitmen is the best of a bad bunch.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I chose Blizzard, it's more appropriate.

Funny why Chicago doesn't have 2 entries in the NHL. The Wolves should transfer to the NHL. At least they know they can win championships, unlike the Hawks.

The same reason the Blackhawks are awful is why the NHL won't set up a second team in Chicago. Wirtz wouldn't allow it.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Gah. Hitmen, maybe. Foxes seems like a cheap play off the Wolves. Prairie Dogs, absoultely freakin' not. Any game between the Bloomington Prairie Thunder and the Chicago Prairie Dogs should have both ownership groups brought to the gallows for the fans' delight during the second intermission.

By the way, I really protest that any team as far-flung as Hoffman Estates gets to call itself "Chicago." I say if you're west of 355/53. you forfeit the right to use that designation. It's about as silly as the Schaumburg Flyers or Joliet Jackhammers branding themselves "Chicago." Even the Windy City Thunderbolts, who are only a few miles outside the city limits in Crestwood, I consider to be pushing it.

So, what to do for a team name? Well, since they play in the Sears Center, in the town that houses the corporate headquarters of Sears, my recommendation is for the Chicago Catalogs. Of Hoffman Estates.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Funny why Chicago doesn't have 2 entries in the NHL. The Wolves should transfer to the NHL. At least they know they can win championships, unlike the Hawks.

There are many reasons why that wouldn't work, and in no particular order:

Allstate Arena is not an NHL-caliber arena. There is no way the Hawks would let the Wolves move into the UC. (The Hawks co-own the UC with the Bulls.)

The Wolves would have to raise their ticket prices, which would price them away from their fanbase. Their fans aren't as wealthy as Hawks fans.

In Chicago, the Wolves just aren't that popular.

The Wolves are a niche team. Niche teams aren't major league.

When the Wolves were established, they were the richest team in the old IHL. They could just buy the best players available. They can't do that now in the AHL and they certainly couldn't in the NHL.

The Wolves and Hawks would force each other into bankruptcy. They would cut into each other's fanbases.

If the Hawks are good, they will get support.

Chicago cannot support two NHL teams.

Gah. Hitmen, maybe. Foxes seems like a cheap play off the Wolves. Prairie Dogs, absoultely freakin' not. Any game between the Bloomington Prairie Thunder and the Chicago Prairie Dogs should have both ownership groups brought to the gallows for the fans' delight during the second intermission.

By the way, I really protest that any team as far-flung as Hoffman Estates gets to call itself "Chicago." I say if you're west of 355/53. you forfeit the right to use that designation. It's about as silly as the Schaumburg Flyers or Joliet Jackhammers branding themselves "Chicago." Even the Windy City Thunderbolts, who are only a few miles outside the city limits in Crestwood, I consider to be pushing it.

So, what to do for a team name? Well, since they play in the Sears Center, in the town that houses the corporate headquarters of Sears, my recommendation is for the Chicago Catalogs. Of Hoffman Estates.

I'd like to see the Village of Hoffman Estates put up a stink about the Chicago nomenclature, just because, I dunno, seeing "Hoffman Estates" in the standings of a sports league is interesting

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

How many effing hockey teams does one city need?

They already got the NHL, AHL, and I believe a USHL team. Why do they think they need a UHL team? I guess a UHL team would still probably be better than the Hawks, but geez. :P

Man, share some of those teams. I would kill for just ONE team here. (Florida Seals don't count anymore, they moved out of Orlando.)

How many effing hockey teams does one city need?

They already got the NHL, AHL, and I believe a USHL team. Why do they think they need a UHL team? I guess a UHL team would still probably be better than the Hawks, but geez. :P

Man, share some of those teams. I would kill for just ONE team here. (Florida Seals don't count anymore, they moved out of Orlando.)

Bring back the Solar Bears! I liked them

Signature intentionally left blank

Hmmm...wouldn't shock me if the Panthers grab one of these franchises the AHL holds and just put it in Orlando. Heard a lot on that last season when they had the divorce with the Spurs and the San Antonio Rampage...

==========================================

As for this team in Hoffman Estates...the names are kinda meh. Then again, seeing the two characters that are running this team, I'm not surprised.

Basically Hoffman Estates is getting the Richmond RiverDogs franchise in all but name...seeing the old coach for Richmond is already up there doing the ground work and the two clowns that own the Dogs are in charge of the new Hoffman Estates team (they also have Darren Pang among the ownership group, but I guess he's just the "face" of the team, much like Barry Melrose and Steve Levy up in Adirondack)...There's one of the owners that I know all too well (Dr. Eric Margenau, the "esteemed" former owner of the New Haven Knights...guy's a :censored: creep ), and well, these kind of moves are kind of his M.O.

It's also led to a real nutty situation where the OLD owner of the RiverDogs sued the new owners of the team AND the commish of the U for basically removing him with the expressed purpose of transferring the team to the Chicagoland area. However, the old owner of the team (Glenn Morelli)...well, calling him a "scumbag" would be a compliment. Basically, watching this whole thing unfold strikes me as something akin to watching a fight to the death between Saddam Hussein & Osama Bin Laden...either way, someone you despise is gonna win.

Meanwhile, it's looking like Richmond will be in the SPHL next season...which is a shame b/c the only losers in this whole thing are those folks down there along the James River....then again, at least the SPHL is somewhat stable. They might actually be the winners in the long term :lol:

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Yeah, I'm giving this franchise one season in the ol' U-HauL. Two, tops.

And yes, somebody - anybody - bring back the Solar Bears.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Yeah, I'm giving this franchise one season in the ol' U-HauL.  Two, tops.

And yes, somebody - anybody - bring back the Solar Bears.

Sadly, the Solar Bears name is stilled owned by RDV. So if we did get a new team, I doubt the owners would shell out the cash to bring the Solar Bears name back. :/

But yes, I'd love to see them come back. They did very well here in Orlando. Too bad the IHL had to ruin that.

Jacksonville should get an AHL team too. Or atleast an ECHL team or something. The two Florida teams in the SPHL have the worst attendance because they're large cities who believe they deserve a better product.

Orlando hasn't seen a stable team since the Solar Bears, and Jacksonville hasn't seen a stable team since the Lizard Kings. Although the Barracudas did great their first couple seasons. Too bad all the league changes messed it up.

Archived