Could the chicago cubs switch to navy blue?

fiskerdu

Just curious what everyone thinks about the likelihood of the Cubs replacing royal blue with navy sometime soon. They obviously tested the waters for the change with this year's batting practice jersey and cap, and the bulk of the merchandise that flooded stores here during the playoff run was navy instead of royal. This is also a team that could use a little distancing from their cuddly-cute image, seeing as how they didn't dispel their lovable loser image on the field. Navy would give them a tighter, tougher look, and might visually underscore their attempts to transform the team into a consistent contender. Plus, the road jersey is overdue for re-design!

Thanks for reading - this site is a great place to visit!

we got cub fans on this board including myself(as you can see below) and i got two words for navy blue cubs stuff:

HELL NO!

i was wondering why the BP stuff was navy, and when channel 7 was showing highlights of spring training i thought the royal helmet/navy shirt looked bad.  

as far as the road, i'd like to see an update...namely this little number (disregard the home i made, it's crap).  just pay attention to the road and alt, both nods to the original C-ubs jersey (1909 road)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

No navy.  Keep the royal blue.

Discrim - Your road concept reminds me too much of the '84 era White Sox.  Not being from Chicago, I don't have the natural hatred of the Sox that Cub fans are supposed to have.  But, I don't think it would go over well among the regulars on the north side.

It's where I sit.

I for one would not like to see more navy.  The BP stuff I can deal with, but they just wouldn't look right in a game.  Yeah, they wore navy in the 30s or 40s, but when you think Cubs, how many people remember navy?  Not many.  The road jersey you can change all you want, but the colors and the home jerseys are off limits to most people.  (Aside from going from pullovers to button downs, different patches, etc.)
dbacks.gif mariners.gif

I am in agreement with everyone else on this matter. Cubs keep it royal. It gives a unique color scheme in baseball, where too many teams already play in a dark color, be it navy, black, purple or whatever else. Baseball needs some more colorful unis not fewer of them!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

No navy. Keep the royal blue.

Discrim - Your road concept reminds me too much of the '84 era White Sox. Not being from Chicago, I don't have the natural hatred of the Sox that Cub fans are supposed to have. But, I don't think it would go over well among the regulars on the north side.

well i don't have the natural hatred for the cardinals that i'm supposed to have, so i guess we're even :D and the thought that someone would think my concept road bore any resemblance to any crap the white sux ever wore never entered my mind.  i intended it to look like their 1909 roads, mostly.

2016cubscreamsig.png

Didn't the Cubs wear navy and white in the early, early days, when they had the bear with the bat on its shoulder? Could going back to 19XX's color scheme on occasion bring them any worse luck? I like the current home stuff, but as an alternate uni, navy with that bear on it might be better than the current royal blue alt with the crawling cub.

yep.  hey, you just gave me an idea for my next logo project-a modernized cub w/bat...but it's been long enough (since late 30s or mid 40s i believe) that navy was used, i don't think going back to it for real would be accepted for a while.

2016cubscreamsig.png

Archived