MLB color combos you lilked to see.

HatManTC

Purple and royal (no team in any major sport wears this).

That sounds like it would clash.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Maroon (the nationals should honor the redskins colors)

As opposed to honoring our national colors?

I feel that every city should adopt a color set, and have the major sports teams use these colors.

I like how all of the Pittsburgh teams are black and yellow.

I remember being unhappy when the Padres left behind their brown, although I didn't like the brown set they had been wearing right then. I preferred the one they wore from 1980 or so for a few years, with the orange, yellow and brown fonts and the full brown tops. The cap was strange, too. My son plays in a Little League where they wear current major league colors and logos, but if they added retro looks to the possibilities, I'd be tempted to go to early-80's Padres.

Navy hat, red bill for the Angels.

Mike Schmidt unis for the Phils.

Basic elimination of black from unis except Pirates, Gigantes and Orioles, who have all worn them long enough to claim a history with the color.

And, yes, royal and blue, ball-in-glove, Robin Yount unis every day of the week for the Brewers. They're probably going to be a good enough team to wear them this year.

Well since the Devil Rays went to predominantly green it's nice to have another green team in baseball. I think that with all of the navy/red teams some of them should change. I don't think it'd hurt the Brewers to go back to full on royal/gold. The Blue Jays going back to Royal would help too, as would the Marlins going all teal again. I suppose since this is all hypothetical, we'll pretend the Astros used their "brick" color as their primary color because those hats would look nice on the home uniforms. Then basically here's what you'd get primary color wise.

Yankees - Navy

Devil Rays - Green

Blue Jays - Royal

Orioles - Black

Red Sox - Navy

Indians - Navy

Royals - Royal

Twins - Navy

Tigers - Navy

White Sox - Black

Angels - Red

Athletics - Green

Mariners - Navy

Rangers - Royal

Marlins - Teal

Phillies - Red

Mets - Royal

Braves - Navy

Nationals - Red

Reds - Red

Cubs - Royal

Cardinals - Red

Pirates - Black

Brewers - Royal

Astros - Brick/Orange

Padres - Navy

Diamondbacks - Purple

Dodgers - Royal

Rockies - Black

Giants - Black

That would lead to this color breakdown:

NAVY - 8

ROYAL - 7

BLACK - 5

RED - 5

GREEN - 2

PURPLE - 1

TEAL - 1

BRICK/ORANGE - 1

Which then shows Navy STILL dominates MLB but not by as much. I'd still like to cut it down after that, maybe by 1. The Padres and Mariners would be the only candidates because they weren't Navy to start out with like the Yankees, Twins, Braves, Tigers, Indians, and Red Sox. You can't change the Mariners to Royal in my scenario b/c then Royal dominates (although thats a better alternate than Navy in my opinion.) I guess we could make the Padres orange since it used to be in their color scheme :blink: ?

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I feel that every city should adopt a color set, and have the major sports teams use these colors.

I think lilg did a set of recolorizations along those lines (i.e., all Denver teams in Rockies, Broncos, Nuggets, Avalanche colors, respectively) to see how it worked. It is an interesting idea in theory, but I think that ship has sailed. Some nicknames just don't fit with certain color combos (i.e. can't do Bengals in red or Reds in black and orange) and how do you pick which colors to use when there are so many existing teams that would need to change.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

So, what would be the colors for Boston? You're going to have the Celtics wear red, white and blue, or the Red Sox wear green? What about the Bruins?

A single unified color scheme for a city may work in only a few rare instances, if the nicknames and logos keep the limited colors in mind. But we tend to associate certain nicknames with certain colors, especially when dealing with animals or historically-based names, and most won't translate well in different colors than the norm.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

If the Marlins would have kept teal as the main color they would have been close enough to matching the Dolphins. The Heat could never wear aqua or teal, and the Panthers couldn't either...although the Panthers and Heat both wear red.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

It's a great idea, and it'd be great if it could be done, but it's unfeasible. Most teams have been around long enough that they've developed a certain identity based on the colors they've traditionally worn. Since most cities have multiple teams, asking 2 or 3 of them to give up those colors for another team's colors is asking a little much. Also, how do you decide which city gets a certain combination - red/white/blue could be argued for Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Washington.

It worked in Pittsburgh because the teams chose to adopt a good color combo out of civic pride, and was done at a time when a lot of the country didn't see color pictures of what teams wore anyway. But it's not this was always the case - the Pirates wore red and navy through 1947, and the Steelers didn't adopt black and gold until the 1950s. It was easy enough to get the expansion Penguins to switch in the 1970s. But Pittsburgh is the only city with more than 2 teams pulled it off.

Maybe if this were Europe, and athletic clubs fielded teams in every sport, it could be done. I'd wonder what Philadelphia's teams would look like in blue and gold, for instance. But with so much emphasis on logos and branding today, moreso than in the past, I can't see this working, especially in cities like Oakland - 2 teams with markedly different and equally recognizable color schemes.

Besides, how would you assign a city's colors? City flags lead to a lot of overlapping colors, which defeats the purpose of unique color schemes. Population size? That'd suck if you live in a smaller city like Baltimore or Miami, getting all the leftover crappy combos.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

First off, I totally disagree with the idea of a city's sports teams getting only one set of colors. If anything, each sports team in a city should have different colors so they can distinguish itself from the others. The sports teams in Los Angeles, for example, are all distinguishable by the colors they wear.

In any event, here are some of the colors I think should be used in baseball:

Black/gold-Not what the Pirates wear, but actual gold, something similar to the New Orleans Saints.

Green/silver-I think this is a very good combination and would do well in baseball in particular.

Blue/silver-Take what I said about green/silver and apply it here also.

Black/green or green/black-I can't think of one pro sports team that uses these colors, and Hawai'i is the only college I know of that uses black/green. It's a very unique scheme and should get a crack with one pro team.

Red/green or green/red-Some might not think so, but I think this makes for a very good color combination.

Blue/green-The Dallas Maverics and Seattle Seahawks have halfway abandoned this great color combo. Let's bring it to baseball. Navy or royal is fine with me.

I'd like to see a team in my alma mater's maroon and powder blue colours (think West Ham or Aston Villa from the EPL).

Not used much at all in the US major sports. It could work for a team like the Phillies or maybe the Rockies?

liverpool-1.png

Kelly green and navy is a combo I always thought MLB has been lacking.

Bucky

The Brewers wore Green/Navy for awhile.

spacer.png

The Phillies maroon started out as red and I guess by virtue of the uniform company got darker and darker over a twenty year period. It's nice to look back on but I could not have been happier when they went to their new look in 1992. Now I'm ready for a change though. I'd like to see them go to more blue (sorry to say) like they did in the late 40's.

Bring back the Whale!

I'd love to see a single color set of either burgundy with white or kelly green with white.

Burgundy and athletic yellow would look great.

I echo the sentiments about my favorite color combo of royal blue and athletic yellow.

It would also be really great if a team could take the Dodgers blue and the Giants orange and make that their color scheme. Sounds like it would be a really nice combo.

It would also be really great if a team could take the Dodgers blue and the Giants orange and make that their color scheme.  Sounds like it would be a really nice combo.

I've heard of something like that...<cough>New York Mets<cough> :P

And the Mets were so generous, they added the Giants' black as well.

If they went back to just the blue and orange, it would be really nice...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived