Steve Nash to be Named MVP

Gary

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand that all you Canadians are loving this but I think it's complete b.s. LeBron & Kobe had much better seasons but yet Nash gets the award because he's a classy, white, and fun player to watch. There's no doubt he's a great player and he makes Phoenix a better team but back-to-back MVP's and the 2nd one just because he had a better season.....give me a break! Also, how can anyone possibly say Nash is in the same group as Magic and Oscar just because he's won an MVP. If anything these past two years have proved that winning an MVP doesn't mean jack nor does it immortalize a player like it used to.

:rolleyes:

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I understand that all you Canadians are loving this but I think it's complete b.s.  LeBron & Kobe had much better seasons but yet Nash gets the award because he's a classy, white, and fun player to watch.

Wow, what an ignorant statement. You honestly think Nash being white has anything to do with him winning the MVP (if he does)?

Yea, Nash doesn't deserve it. He only lead Phoenix to their first back to back Pacific Titles, won 54 games without Amare or anyother big man, He helped the Suns win 54 games without Amare, Richardson, and Joe Johnson, ranked #1 in total assists and assists per game in the league, ranked #1 in free throw percentage, ranked #6 in 3-point percentage, oh and he helped Diaw get the most improved player this year.

Kobe and Lebron score more points but MVP doesn't go to the highest point scorer or the best dunk artist. It goes to the most valuable player and no one is more valuable to their team than Nash.

Look at their roster and tell me if you think the Lakers would have had more wins than the Knicks WITHOUT Kobe. With him, they are in the playoffs and on the verge of the second round. I think that says a lot about his value right there.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I understand that all you Canadians are loving this but I think it's complete b.s.  LeBron & Kobe had much better seasons but yet Nash gets the award because he's a classy, white, and fun player to watch.

Wow, what an ignorant statement. You honestly think Nash being white has anything to do with him winning the MVP (if he does)?

Yea, Nash doesn't deserve it. He only lead Phoenix to their first back to back Pacific Titles, won 54 games without Amare or anyother big man, He helped the Suns win 54 games without Amare, Richardson, and Joe Johnson, ranked #1 in total assists and assists per game in the league, ranked #1 in free throw percentage, ranked #6 in 3-point percentage, oh and he helped Diaw get the most improved player this year.

Kobe and Lebron score more points but MVP doesn't go to the highest point scorer or the best dunk artist. It goes to the most valuable player and no one is more valuable to their team than Nash.

Look at their roster and tell me if you think the Lakers would have had more wins than the Knicks WITHOUT Kobe. With him, they are in the playoffs and on the verge of the second round. I think that says a lot about his value right there.

heres a compromise, let's rename them the LA Kobe's, we all know he's the one that scores %90 of the points. Best Player on the team yes, Most Valuable Player to the NBA NO

My left nut could make the playoffs in the nba :P

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

My left nut could make the playoffs in the nba :P

are you saying that your right nut was .5 games out of the last playoff spot? ^_^

Well for starters Nash has gotten his team to a second Pacific Title without Amare (or anyother great big guy), Richardson and Johnson. I think that says a lot about his value right there also. Plus, we haven't had much chance to tell if a Kobe-less Lakers team would be as terrible as it first appears because he has been healthy almost the entire year. You can't use the argument that the Lakers would be a terrible team without Kobe because we have never really had a chance to see what the other players on the Lakers can do because Kobe always has the freaking ball. Lets just look at game 4 for a second. Kobe only had 17 points and shot 7 for 18. Yet the Lakers still pulled off a win. Now, lets look at the Suns without Nash. Without Nash the suns have a record of 2-8 over 2 seasons and have a record of 0-3 this season. The Suns have proven they aren't half the team without Nash, the Lakers haven't proven the same without Kobe.

PopHeading-1.gif

I understand that all you Canadians are loving this but I think it's complete b.s. LeBron & Kobe had much better seasons but yet Nash gets the award because he's a classy, white, and fun player to watch. There's no doubt he's a great player and he makes Phoenix a better team but back-to-back MVP's and the 2nd one just because he had a better season.....give me a break! Also, how can anyone possibly say Nash is in the same group as Magic and Oscar just because he's won an MVP. If anything these past two years have proved that winning an MVP doesn't mean jack nor does it immortalize a player like it used to.

:blink:

Wow...that was um...pretty flamingly ignornant.

You coulda phrased that a hell of a lot better than that, bro.

News flash #1 -- not all of us here are Canadian...last time I checked, Connecticut was still part of the US of A. Besides, what does nationality have to do with it?

News flash #2 -- so :censored: what if Nash is white...white, black, purple, gray, plaid, 99.99% of us here on the board don't give a :censored: what color he is.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

but yet it's called the "Most Valuable Player", the award that makes everyone around your team better and the player who helps most.

Everyone has their own version of what "Most Valuable Player" means but to me it means Most Valuable Player and Player of the Year.

I'm just repeating what a lot of media and fans think. Whether people know it or not but a flashy white point guard is going to look more appealing then a flashy Stephon Marbury. Yeah I know Stephon has baggage but take his attitude away from him and the baggage and then make the comparison.

Nash was also surround with arguably the best all-around roster in the NBA, even without Amare. LeBron and Kobe had less but yet they did more statistically. It doesn't matter what I say or how I argue my point though, you're going to think Nash is the greatest thing in the world.

Wow...that was um...pretty flamingly ignornant.

You coulda phrased that a hell of a lot better than that, bro.

News flash #1 -- not all of us here are Canadian...last time I checked, Connecticut was still part of the US of A.  Besides, what does nationality have to do with it?

News flash #2 -- so :censored: what if Nash is white...white, black, purple, gray, plaid, 99.99% of us here on the board don't give a what color he is.

Deal with it, I said it! :D

Do yourself a favor and review what I originally posted. I never indicated that everyone on this board was Canadian. Also review the white comment I made. ^_^

but yet it's called the "Most Valuable Player", the award that makes everyone around your team better and the player who helps most.

Everyone has their own version of what "Most Valuable Player" means but to me it means Most Valuable Player and Player of the Year.

I'm just repeating what a lot of media and fans think. Whether people know it or not but a flashy white point guard is going to look more appealing then a flashy Stephon Marbury. Yeah I know Stephon has baggage but take his attitude away from him and the baggage and then make the comparison.

Nash was also surround with arguably the best all-around roster in the NBA, even without Amare. LeBron and Kobe had less but yet they did more statistically. It doesn't matter what I say or how I argue my point though, you're going to think Nash is the greatest thing in the world.

and again you bring up race? I am part of the media and I do listen to the fans, not only in Phoenix, but also the Laker fans and other fans in this league. It has nothing to do with race it has to do with the game. Remember this league majority is African-American or black. It had nothing to do with race it had to do with who was the better player. MVP does not mean player of the year, it has to do with who was MORE VALUABLE TO HIS TEAM. Kobe was only valuable because he was a ball hog and scored more points. Lebron was only valuable because he has more hype more than anyone in this league. MVP is about who helped their player more. Kobe did not do this, he helped himself. Lebron only helped his team a little bit, without Lebron, I would say that the Cavs are an average team at best. Remember when people are looking at who is MVP they do not look at race, they do not look at who the flashier player who scores more than 30 points in a game. They look at someone who helps his team. MVP does not mean Best Player in the league. Good going for the NBA for at least having the decency not giving to the players who we call the ballhogs.

and again you bring up race? It had nothing to do with race it had to do with who was the better player. MVP does not mean player of the year, it has to do with who was MORE VALUABLE TO HIS TEAM. Kobe was only valuable because he was a ball hog and scored more points. Lebron was only valuable because he has more hype more than anyone in this league. MVP is about who helped their player more. Kobe did not do this, he helped himself. Lebron only helped his team a little bit, without Lebron, I would say that the Cavs are an average team at best. Remember when people are looking at who is MVP they do not look at race, they do not look at who the flashier player who scores more than 30 points in a game. They look at someone who helps his team. MVP does not mean Best Player in the league. Good going for the NBA for at least having the decency not giving to the players who we call the ballhogs.

Dude, you're not making sense! If the Cavs are only average without LeBron but yet they're a possible conference contender with him wouldn't that make him pretty damn good? The Suns are still a playoff team without Nash yet the Lakers and Cavs aren't without their best players. If that doesn't say MVP then I don't know what does.

and again you bring up race? It had nothing to do with race it had to do with who was the better player. MVP does not mean player of the year, it has to do with who was MORE VALUABLE TO HIS TEAM. Kobe was only valuable because he was a ball hog and scored more points. Lebron was only valuable because he has more hype more than anyone in this league. MVP is about who helped their player more. Kobe did not do this, he helped himself. Lebron only helped his team a little bit, without Lebron, I would say that the Cavs are an average team at best. Remember when people are looking at who is MVP they do not look at race, they do not look at who the flashier player who scores more than 30 points in a game. They look at someone who helps his team. MVP does not mean Best Player in the league. Good going for the NBA for at least having the decency not giving to the players who we call the ballhogs.

Dude, you're not making sense! If the Cavs are only average without LeBron but yet they're a possible conference contender with him wouldn't that make him pretty damn good? The Suns are still a playoff team without Nash yet the Lakers and Cavs aren't. If that doesn't say MVP then I don't know what does.

Point is this isn't about Player of the Year it is about who is more valuable, I do not consider scoring more points than your team valuable, I consider them ballhogs. Now if Kobe or Lebron you gave their players on their team more scoring opportunities your team would be better than what they are right now. Nash has done this, reason why they are in this spot right now. Plus without Nash they are a 10th place team at best. He is the puzzle piece that puts together the perfect puzzle. We have different opinions on how we think of MVP, I just happen to agree to disagree

Wow. Where do I start? I have no idea where you are getting your information that the media and fans are attracted to Nash because of is race but I couldn?t disagree with you any more. When I turn on ESPN I hear talk about Lebron, Kobe, Shaq, Wade so much more than I hear talk about Nash (or any other prominent white player ((see J. Kidd)). The media is much more enthralled with Lebron than they are with Nash. You don't see Nash in commercials like you do with LeBron, Wade, and so on. Nash is respected in the league for his skill, sportsmanship and his team attitude. He is not labeled as the next MJ like LeBron has been for the last 2 years.

I would argue that the NBA has a bigger African American fan base percentage wise then the Caucasian fan base. Please don't give me the "white man is always winning" argument when you are talking about basketball. It?s just not true. Nash is respected for his game, not his lack of pigment in his skin. Get over it.

Nash was also surround with arguably the best all-around roster in the NBA, even without Amare.  LeBron and Kobe had less but yet they did more statistically.  It doesn't matter what I say or how I argue my point though, you're going to think Nash is the greatest thing in the world.

What? You think the Suns have the best roster in the NBA? Even without Amare??? Wow, I don't know what rosters you are looking at but the only other "superstar" on the Phoenix roster other than Nash and Amare is Marion. I honestly don't know what you are talking about but I do not follow at all.

Oh, and just so you know I do not think Nash is the best thing in the world. I don?t even think he is the best point guard in the Pacific Division (skill wise). I do however feel he is the most valuable player to his team and is worthy of the MVP title.

Trust me, if they changed the meaning of MVP to the best player I would vote Kobe all the way.

PopHeading-1.gif

Wow. Where do I start? I have no idea where you are getting your information that the media and fans are attracted to Nash because of is race but I couldn?t disagree with you any more. When I turn on ESPN I hear talk about Lebron, Kobe, Shaq, Wade so much more than I hear talk about Nash (or any other prominent white player ((see J. Kidd)). The media is much more enthralled with Lebron than they are with Nash. You don't see Nash in commercials like you do with LeBron, Wade, and so on. Nash is respected in the league for his skill, sportsmanship and his team attitude. He is not labeled as the next MJ like LeBron has been for the last 2 years.

I would argue that the NBA has a bigger African American fan base percentage wise then the Caucasian fan base. Please don't give me the "white man is always winning" argument when you are talking about basketball. It?s just not true. Nash is respected for his game, not his lack of pigment in his skin. Get over it.

Nash was also surround with arguably the best all-around roster in the NBA, even without Amare.  LeBron and Kobe had less but yet they did more statistically.  It doesn't matter what I say or how I argue my point though, you're going to think Nash is the greatest thing in the world.

What? You think the Suns have the best roster in the NBA? Even without Amare??? Wow, I don't know what rosters you are looking at but the only other "superstar" on the Phoenix roster other than Nash and Amare is Marion. I honestly don't know what you are talking about but I do not follow at all.

Oh, and just so you know I do not think Nash is the best thing in the world. I don?t even think he is the best point guard in the Pacific Division (skill wise). I do however feel he is the most valuable player to his team and is worthy of the MVP title.

Trust me, if they changed the meaning of MVP to the best player I would vote Kobe all the way.

Whatever you say, it's pointless to argue with you.

The Suns are still a playoff team without Nash

The Suns are 2-8 without Nash since he returned to Phoenix in 2004 (0-3 this season)

That's because you need a point guard to run your team and he's your man. The Suns still have plenty of skill and talent outside of Nash, why don't you see this? You could put Earl Boykins inreplacement and Nash and the Suns would still make it.

Thank You...

Also if you really want to get into the race game? Here are the last 10 MVPs in basketball

2004-05 - Steve Nash, Phoenix

2003-04 - Kevin Garnett, Minnesota

2002-03 - Tim Duncan, San Antonio

2001-02 - Tim Duncan, San Antonio

2000-01 - Allen Iverson, Philadelphia

1999-00 - Shaquille O'Neal, Los Angeles Lakers

1998-99 - Karl Malone, Utah

1997-98 - Michael Jordan, Chicago

1996-97 - Karl Malone, Utah

1995-96 - Michael Jordan, Chicago

Now if you notice not always the best player in the NBA wins it. Tim Duncan won it 2 years in a row, he was more of a valuable asset to his team than anything else. Those 2 years, Garnett, Kobe or Shaq would have that award. If you look at this 9 out of 10 years the MVPs were African American and only Michael Jordan, Allen Iverson and Kevin Garnett were not only valuable but also the best player to their team so it's not all about player of the year and oooooooooh a white boy won it. He's the Most Valuable to the team and to the NBA!!!

Thank You...

Also if you really want to get into the race game? Here are the last 10 MVPs in basketball

2004-05 - Steve Nash, Phoenix

2003-04 - Kevin Garnett, Minnesota

2002-03 - Tim Duncan, San Antonio

2001-02 - Tim Duncan, San Antonio

2000-01 - Allen Iverson, Philadelphia

1999-00 - Shaquille O'Neal, Los Angeles Lakers

1998-99 - Karl Malone, Utah

1997-98 - Michael Jordan, Chicago

1996-97 - Karl Malone, Utah

1995-96 - Michael Jordan, Chicago

Now if you notice not always the best player in the NBA wins it. Tim Duncan won it 2 years in a row, he was more of a valuable asset to his team than anything else. Those 2 years, Garnett, Kobe or Shaq would have that award. If you look at this 9 out of 10 years the MVPs were African American and only Michael Jordan, Allen Iverson and Kevin Garnett were not only valuable but also the best player to their team so it's not all about player of the year and oooooooooh a white boy won it. He's the Most Valuable to the team and to the NBA!!!

Just forget that I threw race in there would ya? You're not getting what I meant and I don't want to spend a lot of time trying to explain myself. So that's my bad, I'm sorry I put race in there.

You're right though, the best player doesn't always win it, that's why they should have the MVP (Nash's Award) and then BP (Best Player Award) aka Kobe, Wade, LeBron.

Now I'm not saying that Nash shouldn't be MVP, my mind has gone back and forth from Kobe to Lebron to Nash to Billups and back several times, but I have three arguments as to why Nash shouldn't be MVP:

1. Has anyone ever ever one MVP after scoring 0 points to go along with 5 assists and 3 rebounds? Mind you, this wasn't Nash cameoing some end-of-the season game, that was 26 minutes of play with Amare Stoudemire, who granted, was far below 100%

2. With all the talk of Nash leading the league in assists has anyone noticed he also leads the league in turnovers? If you have a worse assist-to-turnover ration than Steve Blake, Antonio Daniels, and Baron Davis are you really improving your team?

3. The biggest misconception in this MVP debate is that Nash makes his team better, Nash makes his offense better. Can one truly be the Most Valuable Player if they're a complete defensive liability? Is it coincidence that both teams Nash has played on struggled with defense, in effect ruining any chance to be a serious title threat?

Again, I'm not saying Nash isn't a worhty MVP candidate, but I say if he does win it will be in spite of (or in ignorance of) some glaring weaknesses.

Just my 2 cents, feel free to derationalize my argument. :D

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

Archived