Turner Field

smith03

Think of it this way, if NYC got the 2012 games, below would be Olympic Stadium, which would then be transformed into the new Mets Stadium.  No difference from what Turner Olympic Stadium looked like.

I'm still not so fond of the lopsided corner, but the roof and the other details in the "outfield" section make this much better looking than Turner Field (at least as I recall it and as depicted above). I particularly like the matching roofs along the straightaways in this one.

If a corner (home plate) is not skewed, you will have another Polo Grounds. Small foul lines and a to deep CF would probably not meet MLB "standards". I have not problem with The Ted. The only way you could get around it is if you possess much more moveable stands, like Telstra Stadium in Sydney.

They would tear down the rest of the stadium like they did in Atlanta. The stands were basically temporary and torn down as soon as the Paralympics ended, which were held shortly after the end of the Olympics in 1996, which is why the Braves played in The Launch Pad in the whole of 1996.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

I thought the Atlanta Olympics were awful, but how they turned Olympic Stadium into Turner Field was fantastic.

Of course, they didn't want another situation like Montreal, where Olympic Stadium never should have become a baseball park.

Think of it this way, if NYC got the 2012 games, below would be Olympic Stadium, which would then be transformed into the new Mets Stadium.  No difference from what Turner Olympic Stadium looked like.

I'm still not so fond of the lopsided corner, but the roof and the other details in the "outfield" section make this much better looking than Turner Field (at least as I recall it and as depicted above). I particularly like the matching roofs along the straightaways in this one.

If a corner (home plate) is not skewed, you will have another Polo Grounds. Small foul lines and a to deep CF would probably not meet MLB "standards". I have not problem with The Ted. The only way you could get around it is if you possess much more moveable stands, like Telstra Stadium in Sydney.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the need for the lopsided corner (I grew up watching Orioles game at Memorial Stadium, so I know what it looks like when you put a baseball diamond in a horseshoe). I just think it makes for an awkward looking stadium when it is used for Olympic track and field.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Sydney had the opposite problem... they had to build a baseball stadium then find a use for it after the games. So it serves as the main arena for Sydney's Royal Easter Show (think like a state fair in the US but massive) and as a rugby league venue.

Only problem is how you squeeze a rugby field onto a baseball diamond...

showground.gif

The grandstands wrap around one corner of the ground leaving the rest surrounded by grassy banks. A bit average and I don't think I'd like to watch the NRL there.

liverpool-1.png

Two questions:

( 1 )

Regarding the olympic torch tower, are tourists and what-not able to climb the tower?

( 2 )

Regarding the Sydney rugby field - wouldn't it have been easier to lay it out going parallel to the width of the stadium (i.e., with the end zone - sorry, I don't know the rugby equivalent term - on one end facing Gate C, and the other facing the Concourse)?

nav-logo.png

Sydney had the opposite problem... they had to build a baseball stadium then find a use for it after the games. So it serves as the main arena for Sydney's Royal Easter Show (think like a state fair in the US but massive)  and as a rugby league venue.

Only problem is how you squeeze a rugby field onto a baseball diamond...

showground.gif

The grandstands wrap around one corner of the ground leaving the rest surrounded by grassy banks. A bit average and I don't think I'd like to watch the NRL there.

have a look here:

sydney_showground.jpg

so the reality is that while the stadium was built for olympic baseball, the structure was allowed some flexibility to convert into a rugby ground. I think the seating chart is a little misleading. Just curious does anyone play there now, because I don't see the showground listed in the NRL schedule?

I saw, I came, I left.

so seeing all these pictures, it finally makes sense to me why the right field fence at turner field is straight rather than curved like the rest of the outfield wall. That has bothered me for a long time, i always just assumed it was because it made it easier to have the out of town scoreboard there but apparently there was more to it.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

Archived