San Diego St. signs 5-year deal with Nike

Ry

http://goaztecs.cstv.com/genrel/060906aaa.html

SAN DIEGO - San Diego State University has entered into a five-year contract with Nike as the University's shoe and apparel provider for all 18 intercollegiate sports, Aztec Director of Athletics Jeff Schemmel announced Friday afternoon.

"We are thrilled to be entering into this long-term partnership with Nike - a partnership that will provide the very best in shoes and apparel for Aztec teams in the years ahead," Schemmel said. "Nike is a giant in the industry, but as important to us is their reputation as makers of the very best footwear for our student-athletes. To be joining an elite group of schools who have all-department agreements with Nike tells us that they consider us a program that will be successful, and one that will create a winning partnership with Nike."

The five-year deal, which goes into effect this fall, includes over $1.2 million in shoes and apparel over the lifetime of the contract. Twelve of SDSU's 18 sports, most notably football and men's and women's basketball, will all use exclusively Nike products, including game-day uniforms.

"Nike is fortunate to outfit America's leading colleges and universities with athletic footwear, apparel, and equipment," said Kit Morris, Nike's Director of College Sports Marketing. "Now, to be recognized as the sports and fitness brand of choice for San Diego State University is especially gratifying. As Nike expands and extends our longstanding partnership with SDSU, we look forward to continuing our support of Aztec student-athletes, coaches, and programs."

Nike apparel will be carried by Aztec Shops beginning this August at the San Diego State bookstore and the Aztec Store in Fashion Valley. Merchandise will also be available online at www.sdsubookstore.com or through the official website of Aztec Athletics, www.goaztecs.com.

Perhaps mixed in with a gradient jersey, fading from black to red as the helmet goes red to black.

I live in fear of what will come from this.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

To be fair, Nike has not ruined all client schools' look in all sports (LSU football, Alabama football, to name a couple). But I'm guessing those schools have had the guts to stand up to Nike. On the other hand, there are the Miamis (most recent addition -- Illinois) of the football world who have decided to sell their souls to the Nike (stripes and piping just for the sake of stripes and piping with a subliminal swoosh thrown in) template rather than keep a unique identity. For your sake, I hope San Diego State hasn't done the same.

To be fair, Nike has not ruined all client schools' look in all sports (LSU football, Alabama football, to name a couple). But I'm guessing those schools have had the guts to stand up to Nike. On the other hand, there are the Miamis (most recent addition -- Illinois) of the football world who have decided to sell their souls to the Nike (stripes and piping just for the sake of stripes and piping with a subliminal swoosh thrown in) template rather than keep a unique identity. For your sake, I hope San Diego State hasn't done the same.

Agree. Teams only get NIke-fied if they allow it. Texas doesn't allow it, Alabama doesn't, USC doesn't. I don't have high hopes that SDSU will adhere to some non-existent uniform "tradition".

On the plus side, being an SDSU fan, maybe I'll actually be able to get some decent SDSU gear.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Exactly. LSU and Alabama are two of the primary examples, with Penn State also resistant to much of the Nike template-itis.

Something tells me that SDSU is no position, tradition-wise, to tell Nike where to shove its piping and striping b.s.

I don't have high hopes that SDSU will adhere to some non-existent uniform "tradition".

On the plus side, being an SDSU fan, maybe I'll actually be able to get some decent SDSU gear.

I doubt this would ever happen, but it would be pretty sweet if SDSU and Nike decided to go back to the Dan McGwire/Darnay Scott/Marshall Faulk look.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I don't have high hopes that SDSU will adhere to some non-existent uniform "tradition".

I doubt this would ever happen, but it would be pretty sweet if SDSU and Nike decided to go back to the Dan McGwire/Darnay Scott/Marshall Faulk look.

The Marshall Faulk style would be the best, Champion-style numbers and all!

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

While you all drink your Nike Haterade, I'm going to point out how ghastly SDSU's current uniforms are.

Say what you will about piping, when used well, it's certainally a lot cleaner than the gradient-helmeted, contrast-lacking mess that they are currently sporting.

I'm optomistic that this will be an improvement.

Archived