How to fix the Cubs...

BJ Sands

The Cubs are the easiest job in the world. You put any team out there, and you profit. You could field a double A team, and fans would still fill the ballpark, buy the products, and love the cubbies. The Cubs are my fave team, and need so much help, but it's sad to watch them nowadays.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

This is gonna sound crazy, and I know this will never happen, nor would I want it to because it would never be the same, but if you're gonna do all that, why not just relocate the Cubs, then bring a "new" Cubs team to Chicago, Cleveland Browns style. Without Wrigley, the uniforms, and the name "Cubs" it would not be the same if any of those things were to happen.

.... move the Cubs to Montreal! :D

(Brooklyn would do just as well)

I saw, I came, I left.

I'd have to agree that the Cubs are in an envieable position, from a standpoint of not having to do much to attract fans to the ballpark. Any franchise would love to be in that position.

However, I also think their management has made some very poor decisions in the name of building a winner lately. They have gambled a ton on injured pitchers (not only Prior and Wood, but Dempster, who has payed off, bt Miller, who's still a question make at this point), and given big contracts to guys like LaTroy Hawkens (unproven as a closer, and forced into that roll when Borowsky went down), Jacque Jones (how much better is he than, say, Jeromy Burnitz, who they could have had for one year, instead of locking up Jones for 3 years? Although Jacques is starting to hit...) Not to mention Bynum, Neifi, etc.

As far as renovating Wrigley, I completely agree. I've avocated a complete renovation of the grandstand for a long time. I've been to a number of the new ballparks, as well as the three remaining classics (in addition to having season-tickets to the Cubs as a kid back in the early-'80's), and wouldn't mind seeing the Cubs leave the newl remoddled bleachers as-is, and essentially raize the grandstand. As long as the new structure retains the same design elements (brick wall along the field, only two seating decks, and a roof), I don't see how it would be the worst thing to happen to the club. Don't tell me that HOK or another architecture firm couldn't build a reasonable replica of the grandstand, but with modern amenities...

Moose

Also, this whole "Cubs fans don't care about winning, lol!" thing is such a fallacy, and I'm sick of it. Of course we care. Why does this thread exist if nobody cares?

TCR, you're right. Cubs fans - real Cubs fans - do care about winning. I know several real Cubs fans, and they're all furious that it's come to this point with a team that should have been in the World Series three years ago. They all echo the same sentiment: Hendry, Baker, and MacPhail need to be run out of town on a rail for creating this traveshamockery of a team. When you're only saved from last place by the grace of Pittsburgh, it's time to address some serious issues.

Unfortunately for real Cubs fans, there's another breed of fan that roots, roots, roots for the Cubbies. The sort of fan who barely knows an ERA from an RBI. The fan who can name more bars in Wrigleyville than players on the Cubs roster. The fan I encountered on the train ride home last night, who used his drunken logic to explain that attendance figures are more important than championships. This is the breed of fan that TribCo has been developing and encouraging since the purchase of this franchise. And even if every real Cubs fan were to boycott the team, were to get mad as hell and not take it anymore, TribCo would have no trouble finding 41,000 of its favored kind of fan to fill their park 81 days and nights every year, knowing that they could charge whatever price they want for tickets, even if it's artificially inflated through an in-house scalping outfit. This is why I've learned to feel bad for real Cubs fans over the past few years. They have their hearts and souls invested in a team with no need to ever develop a winning product. These days, it sucks to be a Cubs fan with a brain.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The problem of the Cubs isn't Wrigley Field.

Remember that the Cubs could field some pennant winners on Wrigley in the '20s, '30s and '40s.

Just bad playing avoided them from winning the big prize like the Red Sox.

The stuff is fielding very good players. Red Sox could do it. White Sox also could do it.

Don't complicate a nice sport like baseball.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Archived