How to fix the Cubs...

BJ Sands

The Chicago Cubs are two years away from completing 100 years of

non-championship baseball. And the way the organization is going, there is no way the Cubs will avoid that.

So, in order to change the current mentality and bad karma of the club, I propose the organization change everything. Not just the manager, general manager and front office, but the owner, stadium, uniforms and logo.

That is what it I think it will take. A total team makeover.

What do you guys think? Is that all it would take? Is that too drastic? I'm pretty much at a loss.

non-championship baseball. And the way the organization is going, there is no way the Cubs will avoid that.

So, in order to change the current mentality and bad karma of the club, I propose the organization change everything. Not just the manager, general manager and front office, but the owner, stadium, uniforms and logo.

What do you guys think? Is that all it would take? Is that too drastic? I'm pretty much at a loss.

Get rid of Wrigley are you insane?

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

No, I'm not insane. It's the root of their problems. They have the cutesy, Cubby attitude because of it. They don't need to fill it and it isn't exactly a hallowed house of champions.

It's a symbol of losing. Get rid of it if that's what it takes.

This is gonna sound crazy, and I know this will never happen, nor would I want it to because it would never be the same, but if you're gonna do all that, why not just relocate the Cubs, then bring a "new" Cubs team to Chicago, Cleveland Browns style. Without Wrigley, the uniforms, and the name "Cubs" it would not be the same if any of those things were to happen.

you want to know what the problem with the cubs is. The fact that they have no need to win a World Series. Case in point. a 1pm game against a 500 team, sold out. Why should they try, they will make money one way or the other.

Smart words there. No matter how much you posture, the Cubs will continue to draw no matter what, so the impetus to win just isn't there.

I'm probably setting myself up to get shot at from all directions, but who cares. The reason why the Cubs won't win on purpose* is that the fanbase doesn't demand it. When you look at the Chicago Cubs psyche from afar, it's obvious that there's no impetus on winning a World Series, especially in contrast to a championship-starved fan base the Boston Red Sox.

As I'm relatively indifferent to MLB (I like the Marlins when it's all said and done, though I'm partial to the Yankees and Rangers), I find the Chicago Cubs fanbase to be the strangest one in North American pro sports. No other fanbase accepts losing with outstretched arms like the Cubs, period. Blackhawk fans (all 4 of them) grumble in silence, noone cares about the Saints unless a levee breaks, and everyone rejoices at the Knicks' stumblings, but Cubs fans take a 90-loss season as though it's no big deal. It isn't as though the Cubs don't have a rival that domiates them on a regular basis (See: Houston and especially St. Louis), or they have a tight-wad ownership (The Cubs' 2006 salary is the 7th highest at over $94 million). One could point out poor scouting or empty farm system, but you can't have poor scouting for a century. So, with all that said, what the Cubs need is a fanbase that get's ticked off and stays ticked off until they start winning.

How does this come about? I'm not sure, but perhaps the Chicago Cubs Self-Loathing Society needs to take a few cues from Red Sox Nation. I'm sure some Baseball purist could fill in the blanks, but the Red Sox's near-universal hatred of the Yankees should be something to work toward.

*On purpose in that the team builds a Word Series Contender from the ground up, and wins without it being a perfect storm-esque season (see: '02 Angels, '05 White Sox[No Offence Sox fans, but you have to say that 2005 wasn't anyone's sights on 31 March 2005.])

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I don't know... if they continue to have bricks falling and government officials threatening to condemn the place, they certainly need something

VmWIn6B.png

*Rusch must go. He must go last month. I'd rather have Williams, Hill or Guzman in the #5 spot. Anybody but Rusch. Rusch his ass outta Wrigley.

*Trade Neifi. Walker's the better hitter, and they're around the same age. Shoot, somebody needs a second baseman out there, and if we're lucky we can get a good young guy out of a trade.

*Put Wood in the bullpen. Keep him there, even if you need to do so by gunpoint. At this point, Kerry Wood, closer would be a better bet than Kerry Wood, starter to stay healthy.

And to think last year all we needed was a bullpen...now that's the least of our worries :cursing:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

They'll never get rid of Wrigley, and it wouldn't change a thing. It's not like playing in a new park will make them care about winning.

Also, this whole "Cubs fans don't care about winning, lol!" thing is such a fallacy, and I'm sick of it. Of course we care. Why does this thread exist if nobody cares?

MacFail, Hendry, and Baker all have to go. That's the problem. They've all failed at their jobs. This team has the resources to win, it's just a matter of allocating them correctly, e.g. not breaking the bank on Neifi Perez and Glendon Rusch, or insisting on starting Freddie Bynum.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

you want to know what the problem with the cubs is. The fact that they have no need to win a World Series. Case in point. a 1pm game against a 500 team, sold out. Why should they try, they will make money one way or the other.

For further reference, see Toronto Maple Leafs.

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

Also, this whole "Cubs fans don't care about winning, lol!" thing is such a fallacy, and I'm sick of it. Of course we care. Why does this thread exist if nobody cares?

If you do care about winning, then do something about it a la Red Sox Nation. They demanded a winner, and *gasp* they got it. Continually gobbling up merchandise and pricey seats for a nine that's a more-expensive version of the Kansas City Royals won't change the status quo in the minds of the Tribune. Empty seats just might.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Been over this in "fair-weather fans." That "sending a message" is a bunch of crap. The Red Sox won in 2004 because the fans "demanded a winner"? They've been demanding a winner for like 86 freaking years! Have Pirates fans been holding ownership at ransom by not going until they get a winner? That's just working out great for all parties involved!

It's not that the Cubs office refuses to put a winning team out. They have the means to and have been trying to, the problem is that they're failing at executing their plan. They have all the wrong ideas about how to win: we need speed in the leadoff spot, we need toolsy athletic players, Wade Miller is gonna be healthy this year, on and on and on.

It all comes down to organizational philosophy, not apathy toward winning. That's what you guys don't get. McPhail and Hendry are trying to win, but they're trying to win in all the wrong ways. They're bringing bikes to the Indy 500.

Wade who? Seriously, I can't remember Miller playing once this year <_< shoot, the goddamn ballboys have thrown more balls than he has :wacko:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Just in regards to Wrigley, I do wish people would allow for some semi major changes to it. They need to rebuild the upperdeck, fix the falling concrete (a net? are you kidding?), and make Wrigley be a site to see from the outside, not just the inside. It looks like a construction site from the outside..unfortunatley its not.

The problem is, reaction was mixed about them just trying to revamp the bleachers. If they went ahead with a full refurbishing, people would probably be up in arms.

They are going to spruce up the exterior a little bit, actually. They can't drastically change it, though, or people are gonna get upset. That's just how it is. But saying that we need to replace Wrigley with a bland, no-character, modern ballpark so that people stop caring about that particular aspect just smacks of desperation. I MEAN GEEZ IT WORKED FOR TEH WHITE SOCKS

Archived