The Seahawks' near relocation to Los Angeles

Brock

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ah, the minstrel show! It will entertain for generations to come!

True. However, for my money, there is no more satisfying way to spend an evening watching a fine vaudeville review. Some of the performers have been moonlighting on the wireless and in motion pictures, but the public will never abide a substitute for seeing the performers live in the footlights. The wireless and the cinema will always be the poor relations of the stage.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I have heard through the grapevine that those wacky brothers Marx are contemplating making the trek from Vaudeville to TinselTown! I'll believe it when i see it. (on the big screen, that is!)

Base-ball? Peach basket-ball? Hock-ey?

Now I know you are all off your rockers. You are all performing under such manners of tomfoolery and bewitching word-play. The only noble sport is that of the pugilistic skills, beautifully demonstrated by "Gentleman Jim" Corbet and John L. Sullivan.

The Marquis of Queensbury would be suffering from acrobatics in his grave if he knew of this wretched plot to associate his sport with such thuggery and shenanigans of these "ball and stick" sports to which you speak of.

I, sirs, am aghast.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I have heard through  the grapevine that those wacky brothers Marx are contemplating making the trek from Vaudeville to TinselTown!  I'll believe it when i see it. (on the big screen, that is!)

Likewise, my friend. I hardly see that kind of humor translating to the silver screen. In any event, the Marx Brothers can't hold a candle to the Ritz Brothers. If either of the two can make their mark in the cinema, it will be Al, Jimmy and Harry.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Now I know you are all off your rockers. You are all performing under such manners of tomfoolery and bewitching word-play. The only noble sport is that of the pugilistic skills, beautifully demonstrated by "Gentleman Jim" Corbet and John L. Sullivan.

The Marquis of Queensbury would be suffering from acrobatics in his grave if he knew of this wretched plot to associate his sport with such thuggery and shenanigans of these "ball and stick" sports to which you speak of.

I, sirs, am aghast.

In years past, I would have agreed with you. However, boxing has diminished itself by allowing the convicted Negro Jack Johnson to reign as champion for such an extended period. The other sports you have mentioned have taken appropriate action to exclude Negroes from participating and thus stand above the sweet science in that regard.

I, sirs, am aghast.

Ah, truly a man of refined tastes talking of the sweet science. 'Tis less common to-day to hear of the truly captivating events in our world, while the hoi polloi clamor for their stick sports and hurdy-gurdy acts, I will remain a faithful devotee of fisticuffs.

Why, it says here in the Police Gazette that John L. Sullivan plans to square off with a Ubangi warrior from Darkest Africa in a fortnight's time somewhere in Siam. If you ask me, he doesn't stand a Chinaman's chance, no more than the Punjabs have resisting the Crown. At least we have Grover Cleveland back in office to set the world straight...

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I have heard through  the grapevine that those wacky brothers Marx are contemplating making the trek from Vaudeville to TinselTown!   I'll believe it when i see it. (on the big screen, that is!)

Likewise, my friend. I hardly see that kind of humor translating to the silver screen. In any event, the Marx Brothers can't hold a candle to the Ritz Brothers. If either of the two can make their mark in the cinema, it will be Al, Jimmy and Harry.

Fools! Comedic antics upon the silver screen shall remain the impregnable domain of Mr. Fatty Arbuckle for time immemorial.

Chicago's days as a base-ball town may be numbered, now that that rapscallion Frederic McLauglin is moving the Portland Rosebuds to our fair Chicago. Who in the world would want to sit out in the hot sun in their wool suits? Especially when you can enjoy the amenities of the $7,000,000 ice palace soon to be known as Chicago Stadium for an evening of hot cocoa, popped kernels of corn, and the gentlemanly game of ice hockey!

Viva Le Blackhawks, future champions of the ice-rink!

Ice hockey will never be more than a pleasant diversion for the sporting crowd. Why, judging by how you have overstated your position, I almost expect that you will next predict that professional football will someday overtake base-ball as our the most popular sport in our great nation.

You mean the sport that uses prolate spheroids for their equipment or actual round footballs. Next you'll tell me that automobile racing will become in the Appalachias! You silly billies, automobile racing is contested on bricks in Indiana.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Hey. Lions vs. Christians tonight, if anyone wants to go with me. Man, the lions are just such a mess this year. They haven't been able to execute against anyone. Fire Millenicus.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Chicago's days as a base-ball town may be numbered, now that that rapscallion Frederic McLauglin is moving the Portland Rosebuds to our fair Chicago. Who in the world would want to sit out in the hot sun in their wool suits? Especially when you can enjoy the amenities of the $7,000,000 ice palace soon to be known as Chicago Stadium for an evening of hot cocoa, popped kernels of corn, and the gentlemanly game of ice hockey!

Viva Le Blackhawks, future champions of the ice-rink!

Ice hockey will never be more than a pleasant diversion for the sporting crowd. Why, judging by how you have overstated your position, I almost expect that you will next predict that professional football will someday overtake base-ball as our the most popular sport in our great nation.

You mean the sport that uses prolate spheroids for their equipment or actual round footballs. Next you'll tell me that automobile racing will become in the Appalachias! You silly billies, automobile racing is contested on bricks in Indiana.

Could be either. Professional football of the prolate spheroid ilk can never prosper, as its Sunday games will never draw God-fearing people from their houses of worship. The other variety will forever be the province of those in the British Isles and some members of the immigrant underclass. The rest of the world, and especially polite, middle class society, will never care for it.

Hey. Lions vs. Christians tonight, if anyone wants to go with me. Man, the lions are just such a mess this year. They haven't been able to execute against anyone. Fire Millenicus.

I'll take the Lions and the points. But then again.....ok how did these people let this thread degenerate into a sports history debate(Me included)? Shouldn't we get back on topic and debate the possible logos/nicknames the Seahawks were considering for their move to LA?

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

I'll take the Lions and the points. But then again.....ok how did these people let this thread degenerate into a sports history debate(Me included)? Shouldn't we get back on topic and debate the possible logos/nicknames the Seahawks were considering for their move to LA?

Who are these Sea-Hawks you speak of and why would they move to the desert town of Los Angeles? Seattle truly is a city of champions, as their Metropolitans would claim, since they raised Lord Stanley's Chalice, a unique, but rather small in size prize for winning the championship in ice-hockey.

All this hub-bub over sporting squadrons picking up stakes for the warmer climes of Los Angeles makes me chuckle. As if California has anything more to offer than America's Heartland! I think not! Los Angeles is nothing more than a shiny version of Gary, Indiana.

As for the esteemed YH's comment about the only true comedic talent of the silver screen being Fatty Arbuckle, I have heard his days in Tinsel Town are numbered. It appears he has a fixation with Mr. Edison's fine invention. I've heard tell of this Charlie Chaplin character being the new twinkle in Holly-Wood's eye, but for my money, he's nothing more than a poor man's Buster Keaton.

I've been down on sports ever since they took the fine, upstanding sport of racing in harness and put the drivers directly on the backs of the horses. How vulgar!

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

I'd like to see an N.F.L. pro football team in Pittsburgh, but with the dang blue laws, that would be next to impossible at this stage of the game.

That certainly would be nice. At least you can watch the Duquesne eleven until such an event comes to pass. I can say with all the confidence that I have in President Hoover's economic policies that they will be a powerhouse for years to come.

Getting back to the topic at hand, I for one find it inconceivable that the Los Angeles area, currently a vast sandhill of tumbleweeds and hot-dog "stands" could support any sort of contact-rugby side.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that this "foot-ball" game of which you speak is a mish-mash of other games, and couldn't possibly be anything to crow about.

I'd venture to say that it would be about as popular as playing the grand old game of baseball indoors, or even in someplace like Minnesota. It's all flim-flammery.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived