The Seahawks' near relocation to Los Angeles

Brock

Reportedly, the team had a re-branding and logo package trademarked, with a couple of other backup nicknames that they were pondering.

Any of you old schoolers have an idea what some of those names were? I know the name Seahawks was going to be left in Seattle for a future expansion team.

Also, while on the terms of expansion, anyone have some of the names that were bantered about when the team was in the expansion chase last time around, where the city lost the bid more than Houston gained it?

Edit: Sorry, I should have been more clear in my description.. The near relocation was in the 1990s, when the league was in the middle of a mass exodus of relocations.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reportedly, the team had a re-branding and logo package trademarked, with a couple of other backup nicknames that they were pondering.

Any of you old schoolers have an idea what some of those names were? I know the name Seahawks was going to be left in Seattle for a future expansion team.

Also, while on the terms of expansion, anyone have some of the names that were bantered about when the team was in the expansion chase last time around, where the city lost the bid more than Houston gained it?

And where did you hear this?

EDIT: Sorry, I see what you mean now. I should have read it more carefully.

wtf? you have to be kidding. a 2 year old stadium. a 30 year old team. NFC Champions, and a packed house for the last couple years? its not gonna happen.

sir, with all due respect, youre full of it.

Brock wrote "had a re-branding and logo package trademarked"

the keyword being "HAD" as in the past tense

Brock is talking about the backup marketing plan the Seahawks had before they built the new stadium, and committed to the city of Seattle.

wtf? you have to be kidding. a 2 year old stadium. a 30 year old team. NFC Champions, and a packed house for the last couple years? its not gonna happen.

Sorry for not being more clear in my initial post.. Upon reading the title, it could definitely be considered misleading and in to the idea that the Seahawks are moving to Los Angeles.

The near relocation I was referring to occurred in 1996, during the mass exodus of relocations, when Ken Behring announced he was moving the team to LA. He had actually hired moving vans to haul equipment out of the team's Kirkland headquarters on a Sunday morning. Players did their offseason workouts at the Rams' old facility in Anaheim.

I remember hearing at the time that they would change the name to Los Angeles Blackhawks as Blackhawk was the name of Behring's development corporation that he was so proud of. But it never really got that far, so that was probably just a rumor floating about...

Though his name is reviled in Seattle, Ken Behring has become quite the philanthropist and has received praise throughout the world for his generosity and dedication in providing free wheelchairs to those who can't afford them...

Reading Is Fundemental

Reading Is Fundemental

Spelling is fundamental.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Agree, The only team in Seatle that may leave is the Supersonics and the only chance I really see Los Angeles getting a football team is if either the Chargers or Saints relocate there. Expansion from 32 to 33 or 34 would make the NFL a mess in terms of divisional alignment and schedule.

Seattle just gave them one of the best stadiums in the leauge and the Seashawks comming off a their first Super Bowl apperance. They ain't goin no where!

This is all a bunch of nonsense. LA already has the Rams and the Raiders in the fall and the Express in the spring. They simply don't need a fourth pro football team. If the Seahawks move anywhere, it should be to Baltimore given the Colts' recent departure.

This is all a bunch of nonsense. LA already has the Rams and the Raiders in the fall and the Express in the spring. They simply don't need a fourth pro football team. If the Seahawks move anywhere, it should be to Baltimore given the Colts' recent departure.

Baltimore has the Stars now, but they could certainly use a replacement for the Colts in the fall.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

This is all a bunch of nonsense.  LA already has the Rams and the Raiders in the fall and the Express in the spring.  They simply don't need a fourth pro football team.  If the Seahawks move anywhere, it should be to Baltimore given the Colts' recent departure.

Baltimore has the Stars now, but they could certainly use a replacement for the Colts in the fall.

Feh. Once the USFL moves to the fall schedule, the NFL will have to merge, so you'll have your big league team back in no time.

This is all a bunch of nonsense.  LA already has the Rams and the Raiders in the fall and the Express in the spring.  They simply don't need a fourth pro football team.  If the Seahawks move anywhere, it should be to Baltimore given the Colts' recent departure.

Feh. Once the USFL moves to the fall schedule, the NFL will have to merge, so you'll have your big league team back in no time.

True. This Trump fellow seems to have formulated a solid business plan, which is why the rest of the league has bought into it. We'll have an NFL team again by 1987 at the latest.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

I don't know if you guys have heard anything about this, but Packers aren't making any money in Green Bay, so a permanent move to Milwaukee County Stadium could be forthcoming.

QPR%20Sig.png

I don't know if you guys have heard anything about this, but Packers aren't making any money in Green Bay, so a permanent move to Milwaukee County Stadium could be forthcoming.

That makes sense. How could the Packers possibly compete in a backwater town like Green Bay? I'm surprised this didn't happen in 1975.

That makes sense. How could the Packers possibly compete in a backwater town like Green Bay? I'm surprised this didn't happen in 1975.

I like Frank Deford's suggestion in that Sports Illustrated article about Forrest Gregg's problems with Lofton and Cade getting arrested. Move the franchise to a new stadium in Milwaukee (the Brewers will never leave County Stadium) and give Lambeau Field to UW-Green Bay for a new college football program.

I mean, if free agency takes place, Green Bay would never be able to sign black players like that former USFL defensive end...what's his name, Reggie something...

(BTW, lost all my respect for Deford after that article and I've always wanted to meet him to stick it in his face. But I'm not bitter.)

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Archived