Lemieux Retirement Patch Concept

maz

It makes sense the pens would officially retire Lemieux's number {with the ceremony and raising the sweater and all} on the first game of the season, right?

Well, when teams do that they usually wear a patch, right?

Well, if they do, this is my idea of what it could look like.

LemieuxRetirementPatch.png

C&C Please.

oBIgzrL.png

OK, here comes some C&C ...

? First thing I thought when I saw this was that the '66' wasn't big enough. IMO, it should be thicker and larger, covering up more of the star.

? The Pens logo at the bottom looks a bit off centre. Plus I would match the gold trim of the star and ribbons to that in the Pens logo.

? I'm not thrilled with the use of Arial for the lettering on the ribbons. There are a whole bunch of other fonts out there that would good here. Free ones, too. You don't have to settle for Arial.

? I would also arch the letters more in both ribbons to match the curve of the ribbons. If you're using WordArt and Paint, that may be tricky to do, though. If you want some stuff done in Illustrator, though, shoot me a PM.

LemieuxRetirementPatchrevised.png

Matched words to banners more. Made 66 bigger. Made penguin alittle more centered. Matched golds. The reason the font on the banners is so plain is because this would be a patch.

2 suggestions:

1) Squish the star a little bit, it looks a little too stretched.

2) Use a font other than Arial, it doesn't go well the numbers. Personally, I'd go with Machine or one of the name & number fonts by eriqjaffe.

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

Try to work in the phrase "And this time, he means it." :D

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I don't like it. It looks too generic.

Wow that's GREAT C&C...I could see him totally implementing your suggestions to really make this a great concept.

---------------------------------------

Good start, Maz, but as it sits right now, it looks a bit too thrown together. The ribbons and the logo just appear to be slapped on there without regard to positioning and spacing.

I think the star is fine, but the number is still too small. It's the focal point of the piece, so go ahead and treat it that way. Go big!

I'm mixed on the ribbons. Part of me wants to say ditch them altogether, part of me wants to say you only need one saying "Mario Lemieux - Le Magnifique" or something like that. If you keep the ribbons, the bottom one should at least "wrap" the star. Something about the outlines I don't like either, either ditch 'em or thicken 'em.

The logo. Hmmm, either you need a MUCH cleaner version of it or you'll have to scrap it. If you can get clean versions, I would suggest you use both logos the team used during Mario's playing days.

Still not digging the font. You should probably take OB33's suggestions and run with them or at least use something more "athletic" looking.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

LemieuxRetirementPatchRevised3.png

Revision # 3

Still having font trouble. Made one banner. Cant really "wrap" the banner. Used both logos they had when he played. Thought id make the 66 stand out more by making it the old gold.

oBIgzrL.png

I like #3 especially with the old gold numbers...really makes them "pop". But Brian is right about something "out" on the sixes. The top "hooks" should have a vertical side on their left side (if you get what I'm attempting to say) rather than a slant.

Archived