Once In a Lifetime Movie

DGivens87

Once in a Lifetime: The Extraordinary Story of the New York Cosmos

There's a piece on it on espn.com as well.

Looks like an interesting movie - interesting enough for me to see in the movie theaters rather than wait for it to come out on DVD.

There are two important people who were not interviewed for the film.

1-Warner Communications CEO/Cosmos owner at the time, Steve Ross. he past away in 1992.

2-Pele. Reports say he wanted $150,000 for an interview for the film.

I'm sure it'll be an interesting movie...yet I'm somewhat surprised that they don't actually have any interview from Pele, probably one of the main reasons the Cosmos got as big as they did.

It's like doing a modern Patriots documentary without Brady: still has a lot of stars and faces, yet it's missing a big part of the picture.

GR30a5H.png

• 2 months later...

Just resurrecting this thread in due part because it came on ESPN2 last night. I thought it was an excellent documentary, and the interviews with former players, executives, media, etc. were fantastic. Funny moments were when Chinaglia's mentioned to the other interviewees and they all kinda say that he was/is a prick. Chinaglia's response: "I don't give a :censored:". One of the many priceless moments throughout the movie.

FIVE STARS! :D

My only question is when does the DVD come out?

It was an excellent doc, if only for the vintage photos and footage. Two details they got wrong, that I noticed, were the ABC contract and the demise of the Cosmos. The ABC contract was for 1978-80, not just '79 as they implied. ABC also televised Soccer Bowl '81. Further, Warner sold the club to Chinaglia after the 1983 season, largely because of a failed hostile takeover bid by Rupert Murdoch. The Cosmos - along with Chicago, Minnesota, and San Diego - survived the collapse of the NASL and jumped to the MISL. Though, New York only made it a third of the way through the '84-85 season before folding. The best bit was the "Where are they now?" epilogue. "Pele - Football Ambassador -- Declined to be interviewed" That last part was accompanied by the "ca-ching" sound. Oh, and great :censored: soundtrack.

I remember in the summer when this was going to be in "limited release". Apparently, it was VERY limited. Straight to cable, bypassing DVD...for now. I liked it, but not on the level of "Hoop Dreams". I kept thinking to myself that while I agree the Cosmos were star driven and assisted NASL growth, there were other successful franchises, namely Tampa Bay. East Coast bias rules the day...again. I remember the league was never fully recognized by FIFA because of the 35 yard line and shootout rule, but hey it was nice to hear about the business side.

I did not know about the push to get the 1986 World Cup in its reassignment By Mr. Ross (I was between age 9-11 at the time and could have cared less abbout soccer). Aside wow, columbia, you thought you could have held it in 1986...cocaine must be one HELL of a drug!

Probably the last post for the week. Going to ASU @ Cal.

Archived