Home Run Derby

maz

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't the prize for hitting the sign used to be a fan one a million dollars? It seems the worth of the prize has gone down despite player rarely hitting it.

And 1 more question does a Legends and Celebrity softball game need a color man?

What on earth are you going to do with 500 flights?

Who wins those flights?

A random fan from inside the ballpark.

Who knows how they determine that?

I have no idea.

It's 500 round trip flights ar $500,000.

I'd take the money, pay my taxes, and get the heck out of town! :D

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

What on earth are you going to do with 500 flights?

Who wins those flights?

A random fan from inside the ballpark.

Who knows how they determine that?

I have no idea.

It's 500 round trip flights ar $500,000.

I'd take the money, pay my taxes, and get the heck out of town! :D

I think there is a number on the ticket or something. I would definetly take the $500,000. Hey mabye Maz won the money :P

saBS.png

I know that catchers are usually the best BP pitchers, but why was Lo Duca pitching to Wright. Those pitches were terrible.

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

That's cool you've got tix, but I don't know what the weather is like down there and what they do for bad weather. I live about a 1/2 hour outside (west towards OH) of the city and it's thunder/lightning and tornado warnings. What do they do for bad weather? What about the game tomorrow? You can't reschedule it due to messing up the whole schedule, but the game counts for World Series home field...so what do they do if it's too bad to play?

Yeah, we lucked out with the weather.

Me and my brother actually had to pick up the tickets from some guy in the Hilton Hotel here {right at the point} and after waiting a while for him, meanwhile its raining outside, as soon as we went outside, it cleared up. After that it looked like it never rained. According to my mom who was watching the radar she said it "Just broke up" right before it hit us.

From our seats we had the pitchers mound almost right in front of us at the very top row of the upper deck. We had a nice view of the media zoo in the parking lot. We watched batting practice for about a hour before the HRD. Then they had the national anthem and a F-16 flyover. Those planes were low and fast and loud and went almost right over us. We looked back at them and they had to climb up to avoid Mt. Washington, that's how low they were. After that there was a two song performance by Big n' Rich. After that Chris Berman was shown on the scoreboard and he notified everyone that we were going international in only 2 minutes. He had the crowd warm up cheering for when the coverage started. So, first he asked how everyone would cheer if Maz had just hit the 1960 homer all over again. Then he asked how we would cheer if they could get Pops to come back and hit. Louder cheer. Then he said, "Oh, wait a minute. Didn't the Steelers recently win the Superbowl?" HUGE cheer. That's when they went live. It was so loud you couldn't hear what he was saying anymore. Then Maz threw out the opening pitch to a standing ovation. Then the derby started.

There were, as you guys know, plenty in the river. But none if them in the river as dramatic as the last one. What were the chances of his winning hit being off of the hit it here sign?

Well, that's my experience. Sorry for the novel. Given the fact i also spent all day at Fan Fest Saturday and went to All-Star Sunday, it was great. I just have to say it was amazing. The atmosphere and everything. I have to tell you guys, of you ever get the opportunity to go to the HRD or ASG. By all means necessary, take it. You wont regret it.

oBIgzrL.png

Looks like Gary Thorne has found another job, this time serving as PNC Park's PA announcer....

Are you sure that's him?

I could have sworn that was Thorne's voice as well.

I think it sounds like him too. Maybe he is just for the all-star game festivties.

I heard it again, that has to be him.

Well, he was broadcasting yesterday's Futures Game, and he's likely calling the Celebrity All-Star Softball Game....

No, they had some local guy do the celebrity softball game at the stadium. I didnt see the replay so i dont know who did it on TV. The PNC Park announcer is the same, they just had him doing the Home Run stuff.

oBIgzrL.png

What was with all the cursing this year? Anyone else notice?

every time David Wright got an out the microphones would turn off.

yeah i noticed that

What was with all the cursing this year? Anyone else notice?

every time David Wright got an out the microphones would turn off.

yeah i noticed that

When David Wright would get up to bat I would turn on ESPNDeportes just to see if they would censor out Curse words in English, which they did. But they went wild when Big Papi hit his home runs, it sounded like a soccer announcer.

And the commercials are much cooler on ESPNDeportes.

In fact, I don't even know why I have the channel

Heres an example of some of the stuff i got over the past 3 days.

ASG.jpg

Left to Right

All-Star Sunday Program, Workout Day Program, 2006 ASG Program, 1994 ASG Program

ASG Dog tag, Baseball, Baseball {free for a lage purchase at grocery store}, scale model 18-wheeler

Bat

Key chain, Licence Plate

oBIgzrL.png

Looks like Gary Thorne has found another job, this time serving as PNC Park's PA announcer....

Are you sure that's him?

I think it sounds like him too. Maybe he is just for the all-star game festivties.

Well, he was broadcasting yesterday's Futures Game, and he's likely calling the Celebrity All-Star Softball Game....

No, they had some local guy do the celebrity softball game at the stadium. I didnt see the replay so i dont know who did it on TV. The PNC Park announcer is the same, they just had him doing the Home Run stuff.

Broadcasting.....as in working TV, which he did with Rick Sutcliffe.....

Are you sure that's him?

Broadcasting.....as in working TV, which he did with Rick Sutcliffe.....

I know. I sorta messed up how i said it.

Hey mabye Maz won the money  :P 

I wont tell if you dont... :P

oBIgzrL.png

David Wright cursed more times than some guys left the yard :D

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Archived