Home Run Derby

maz

Tonight is the Home Run Derby here in Pittsburgh. As you all know.

Back when I was about a year old in 1994 when the ASG was in Pittsburgh, I went to the Home Run Derby. I never remembered a thing. I always wanted to someday go to a Home Run Derby that I would be old enough to remember. I am happy to say that at the last minute my mother was able to get tickets and me and my brother will go tonight.

So, whose watching? Who are your picks to win it? What should I and everyone else expect? Who should we all watch for?

oBIgzrL.png

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Back when I was about a year old in 1994 when the ASG was in Pittsburgh, I went to the Home Run Derby. I never remembered a thing. I always wanted to someday go to a Home Run Derby that I would be old enough to remember. I am happy to say that at the last minute my mother was able to get tickets and me and my brother will go tonight.

Congrats on snagging tickets... I have no idea why a 13 year old is able to attend two HR Derbys in his hometown so far in his life, but congrats nonetheless.

Enjoy it... it'll be the last one in Pittsburgh until you're in your mid 40s.

I'm rooting for Glaus, but I'll pick Howard to win.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Congrats on snagging tickets... I have no idea why a 13 year old is able to attend two HR Derbys in his hometown so far in his life, but congrats nonetheless.

One of the reasons i love Pittsburgh. :D

oBIgzrL.png

Same here CC, im going for Glaus too. Always have to root for the home team. He has been struggling getting home runs lately. But they throw fast balls to them so lets hope he gets past the first round.

4kv29i.jpg

Gotta go with Ortiz, since the pitcher he's using fed 41 gopher balls to Bobby Abreu in last year's contest. He's the Red Sox bullpen coach (name escapes me at this time).

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

That's cool you've got tix, but I don't know what the weather is like down there and what they do for bad weather. I live about a 1/2 hour outside (west towards OH) of the city and it's thunder/lightning and tornado warnings. What do they do for bad weather? What about the game tomorrow? You can't reschedule it due to messing up the whole schedule, but the game counts for World Series home field...so what do they do if it's too bad to play?

KISSwall09.jpg

New ballpark has something to do with it I'm sure.

I'll pick Berkman , although I hope Howard wins.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

The participants in the order in which they will bat (Season HR's):

Miguel Tejada (17)

Lance Berkman (24)

Miguel Cabrera (15)

Troy Glaus (23)

Jermaine Dye (25)

David Wright (20)

David Ortiz (31 )

Ryan Howard (28)

PNC Park is slightly shorter down the right-field line (320 feet) than it is down the left-field line (325) but right-center-field is 375 feet, where the distance from home plate to left-center-field ranges from 389 to 410 feet. It's a significant difference that could come into play.

"[PNC Park] is more beneficial to left-handed hitters than to right-handed hitters," Berkman said, "because it's really big in left field there."

Berkman, a switch-hitter, had considered hitting right-handed so as not to tinker with his left-handed swing. But now he's leaning towards hitting lefty.

Who's Hot, Who's Not?

HR totals for the last month follwoed by the last week

Howard 6-0

Ortiz 14-5

Berkman 6-2

Tejada 3-1

Glaus 6-1

Wright 9-2

Dye 6-5

Cabrera 6-2

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

I want David Ortiz to win because he's on my fantasy team (:P) and also one of my favorite players in baseball.

I also think he's gonna win it too, just because I think this is the event he's been waiting for to show off his bat flip.

Archived